NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

I think it'll be that one without the retractable roof.

But the site seems to be right beside the Metrodome, wonder if they'd play at TCF well this new one is getting built.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No specific link, but all over twitter (including Trey Wingo), reports are the Vikings are getting their stadium.

It's pretty close to done. Both houses have passed a bill and the governor's been behind it all the way. It's been a strange saga that's been going on for years. And recently, there've been times when it has not looked good.

I don't know that I'd call it a good sign that Commissioner Goodell can just come in and threaten and turn the thing around. But admittedly I sadly able to put "sports" ahead of "what's right". The gambling they are using to fund it will prey on the poor, but then again, gambling is a tax on stupidity. Better than taking it all out of general funds.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20593218/vikings-stadium-senate-debate-begins

I just hope that with all the head issues that are coming out that football does not cease to exist before this thing is constructed...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Being a Viking fan, I've been waiting for this day for years. It actually almost brings me to tears to know my Vikings will be here for at least another 30 years. I'm at a lost for words.

For those who were wondering, its this proposal:

20120402_stadium2_33.jpg

newfront.jpg

newaerial.jpg

Downtown-East-Site-Plan-copy.jpg

I think I'm going to try to get a job here.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

It sucks that they will once again end up in a crappy fixed-roof dome. And yes, I'm sure it will be the best enclosed stadium ever (better than Ford Field), it will still suck because it's a dome. But, I understand that the legislators needed the roof so other events could be hosted there, and this is certainly better than them moving to LA.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's a retractable roof, as far as I'm aware, pretty much always has been. As far as possibly playing at TCF, I'm pretty sure they will be building beside the Metrodome, and then in the offseason I'm sure they'll finish up tearing the old dome down and finishing the new one. I don't think there is a plan to not play where they are supposed to.

Edit: the purple dotted line on the pic above is where the Metrodome currently is, with the new one partly on top, and orientated in a different direction.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

It's a retractable roof, as far as I'm aware, pretty much always has been. As far as possibly playing at TCF, I'm pretty sure they will be building beside the Metrodome, and then in the offseason I'm sure they'll finish up tearing the old dome down and finishing the new one. I don't think there is a plan to not play where they are supposed to.

Edit: the purple dotted line on the pic above is where the Metrodome currently is, with the new one partly on top, and orientated in a different direction.

I made a mistake. I guess they will play one season at TCF.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

According to ESPN, the bill gives the Vikings the right to upgrade to a retractable roof at their own cost. They haven't decided if they would do that, but considering it would add over $100 million, I doubt they do it. I'm guessing this bill provides for a fixed roof and not open-air.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

No. The sport will survive. It might have hit its peak in popularity, but like boxing (worst-case scenario, and I see it was referenced in the story) it will survive. (I always wonder if less equipment would help the NFL's issues.)

Will these state-of-the-art stadiums be filled? Well, they aren't always now, especially in St. Louis' case. All the more reason to keep a lid on it so it can continue to be used for multiple purposes. I'll bet there's enough evidence out there to show that even the "top-tier" retractable roof NFL stadiums don't open except for 1-2 games a year. Isn't Ford Field top tier? It was good enough for a Super Bowl...

So they're playing one season at TCF? Imagine if they had played ALL of their seasons in TCF.

I'd be so pissed to be a Minnesotan right now. Having pro football is good, but paying like this is most definitely not.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Being a Viking fan, I've been waiting for this day for years. It actually almost brings me to tears to know my Vikings will be here for at least another 30 years. I'm at a lost for words.

(Images)

You have at least two very clearly different proposals in those images. The first and fourth belong to one proposal, the second and third to another.

(Images)

You have at least two very clearly different proposals in those images. The first and fourth belong to one proposal, the second and third to another.

Yeah the last photo was apart of a link I posted a while back, but they removed it from the Vikings site. It's the one without a retractable roof.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The shortsightedness of TCF Stadium was a joke to begin with. The Gophers and Vikings should have gotten togther on a shared stadium from day one.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I still feel like it would be cheaper to retrofit TCF for NFL use than build another huge football stadium like three blocks away. That's so gratuitous and completely belies Minnesota's otherwise famous thriftiness.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The shortsightedness of TCF Stadium was a joke to begin with. The Gophers and Vikings should have gotten togther on a shared stadium from day one.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I still feel like it would be cheaper to retrofit TCF for NFL use than build another huge football stadium like three blocks away. That's so gratuitous and completely belies Minnesota's otherwise famous thriftiness.

I don't disgree. It certainly makes sense on a practical level. I can't recall whether both sides were opposed to sharing a stadium, but the University of Minnesota at least had reasons that seem rational. The Gopher football program has largely been irrelevant since the 1940s and in no way can compete at a recruiting level with the Ohio States and Michigans of the world. Having its own dedicated, on-campus stadium -- with the degree of regalness befitting a quality college football program -- was seen as a recruiting tool and, at least symbolically, a symbol of the university's intentions to revive the program.

You could call that self-serving marketing schlock, because it is, but other than the fiscal irresponsibility of the whole thing there's a kernel viable reasoning in there somewhere.

Not to mention how strong the men are, how good looking the women are, and how all the children are above average. Quite frankly, I'm shocked.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived