Coastal Carolina University adds Teal Turf

MR. 3G

I thought the NCAA banned colored turfs. Or is that just for FBS?

That was the NFL. But I believe Boise St owns the trademark for non-green colored athletic fields, so if another school wanted a colored turf they would need permission from BSU.

That was the NFL. But I believe Boise St owns the trademark for non-green colored athletic fields, so if another school wanted a colored turf they would need permission from BSU.

That's bogus. How can they have a trademark for all colors when they only have a blue field? That would make no sense.

Boise State’s trademark, Bickerton said, is for any “non-green field” — not just blue. The school issued a license to Eastern Washington for its red field.

“In general, when it’s another color, we do approve it,” she said. “If a big school wants to put an orange field in, because it’s one of our colors, I can’t necessarily say we’d say yes.”

Boise State’s trademark received federal registration in the last few years. That isn’t required for the school to hold the trademark rights, Bickerton said, but the formality makes the trademark better known and increases the potential damages for violators.

“If you don’t license it or defend it, then technically you could lose your trademark,” Bickerton said.

Boise State controls the flow of non-green turf by working with the turf manufacturers. They have been informed of Boise State’s trademark rights and tell clients that they need to check with the school before proceeding with a non-green field.

http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/heres-how-and-why-boise-state-controls-who-installs-non-green-playing-fields/

Edit: mgdmhl beat me to it.

It's still a terrible trend.

I agree, I'm a traditionalist! I was against this for the longest, but this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I heard we're moving to Adidas and going with Grey and Black home uniforms to avoid a color contrast.

Should be interesting if true!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a follow up question about Boise State.. more rhetorical unless there’s a contract lawyer here ..

All field turf (plastic) starts off grey and then is colored green in the same way the end zones are colored blue, red. Etc. – we know this because a high school put in a grey turf because it was cheaper than having it colored green

So .. how can Boise St. own a trademark of fields any other color besides green when green is itself a color of field turf—not as though it is fieldturfs natural color.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Don't really have a legal answer, but I'm assuming since regular field turf is meant to mimic grass, they can't really make claim to grass colored turf. Ironically, if somebody wanted to do grey turf Bosie would have to approve.

If they did it that way Boise would monopolize not just colored turf but all turf. And I don't think the turf companies would be to fond of that.

That's bogus. How can they have a trademark for all colors when they only have a blue field? That would make no sense.

Boise State’s trademark, Bickerton said, is for any “non-green field” — not just blue. The school issued a license to Eastern Washington for its red field.

“In general, when it’s another color, we do approve it,” she said. “If a big school wants to put an orange field in, because it’s one of our colors, I can’t necessarily say we’d say yes.”

Boise State’s trademark received federal registration in the last few years. That isn’t required for the school to hold the trademark rights, Bickerton said, but the formality makes the trademark better known and increases the potential damages for violators.

“If you don’t license it or defend it, then technically you could lose your trademark,” Bickerton said.

Boise State controls the flow of non-green turf by working with the turf manufacturers. They have been informed of Boise State’s trademark rights and tell clients that they need to check with the school before proceeding with a non-green field.

http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/heres-how-and-why-boise-state-controls-who-installs-non-green-playing-fields/

Edit: mgdmhl beat me to it.

I agree, I'm a traditionalist! I was against this for the longest, but this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I heard we're moving to Adidas and going with Grey and Black home uniforms to avoid a color contrast.

Nooooo...don't go to BFBS and GFGS uniforms, even if the field is TFTS.

Considering the look of those stands, I say go for it. That teal isn't that potent.

Boise St. on the other hand, it borders on cheating.

18j4x0gi0zao7jpg.jpg

To that point, the way they pissed & moaned during the BCS era, I give myself the benefit of that doubt.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Yeah I was aware of the coach's background. I work out with an incoming freshman QB and he's talked about all that's going on there.

Thrasher? If so, really surprised a lower tier FBS program didn't take him. We're extremely excited to have him, and look for him to take the reigns after this upcoming season.

That's the one. Chance is a good guy who you won't have to worry about getting in trouble or doing anything dumb, because he understands what it takes to succeed. And ya he's good, his team absolutely demolished my school's this past season.

BTW, I like this turf a lot. The copper colored end zones are a great touch as well.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I knew there would be a downside to this...

You can't trademark a product. You PATENT it.

And looking through the USPTO website, I'm not seeing anything relating to "Boise State" regarding anything field, turf, or playing surface related. Just as everyone keeps thinking that the NCAA has banned colored fields, or grandfathered in old ones, I think this idea that others need approval from Boise State is the same. Wrong info.

You can't trademark a product. You PATENT it.

And looking through the USPTO website, I'm not seeing anything relating to "Boise State" regarding anything field, turf, or playing surface related. Just as everyone keeps thinking that the NCAA has banned colored fields, or grandfathered in old ones, I think this idea that others need approval from Boise State is the same. Wrong info.

Boise State has U.S. Trademark Reg. No. 3,707,623.

Archived