2015 NHL Golf Thread

BigBubba

I think it's kind of senseless to say this is a symptom of a larger problem that's related solely to hockey. The young, mega rich, and mega famous in all walks of life for decades if not centuries have abused substances, women, and the law with aplomb

Yes, but hockey has been able to keep the lie alive.

I'm not going to find myself siding against a likely rape victim. Patrick Kane, whom we've known to be an entitled and abusive drunk with no respect for women, workers, or anyone with the misfortune of not being Patrick Kane and his Buffalo hangers-on, will have to prove me wrong here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's kind of senseless to say this is a symptom of a larger problem that's related solely to hockey. The young, mega rich, and mega famous in all walks of life for decades if not centuries have abused substances, women, and the law with aplomb

Yes, but hockey has been able to keep the lie alive.

I'm not going to find myself siding against a likely rape victim. Patrick Kane, whom we've known to be an entitled and abusive drunk with no respect for women, workers, or anyone with the misfortune of not being Patrick Kane and his Buffalo hangers-on, will have to prove me wrong here.

I think you're off base with your claim that hockey culture supports rape and criminality, and that it protects players under the umbrella of white innocence.

But hey... America... (and Canada)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I have to think that the statement "hockey players are good people" has included the unspoken amendment of "except for Patrick Kane" since the cabbie incident. Not that Patrick Kane is the league's only problem child. Just that I think anyone with two brain cells to rub together and basic knowledge of the game and its biggest stars have always known that he's a douchebag.

I can't remember if I shared this story with The Boards™ before, but here it is. Patrick Kane played his Junior hockey in London, Ontario. The same place where I went to university. A friend of mine who is from London told me a story about running into Kane at a bar one night, telling any girl who would listen "hey I'm Patrick Kane. I play for the London Knights and I'm going to play in the NHL. I'm kind of a big deal."

The guy's always been a chode, and I think most people know it is what I'm getting at.

Anyway he ought to be suspended until this has played out. If he's innocent bring him back. If he's guilty? Cut him loose.

Yeah, but is anybody on this board saying that? Admiral said he's certain Kane did it because white or something, but almost everyone else has avoided making proclamations one way or the other. The police didn't confirm or deny an investigation until today, and as of this morning just vaguely said they were in the process of investigating something without naming Kane. I haven't seen anybody claim the case was closed.

Right and I didn't say that I saw instances of it here. I was commenting on different hockey boards where Hawks fans were trying to find any tiny inkling of a tell of what might be happening to their superstar. Though I will say I was expecting a little more protection of Kane from the Hawks faithful around here, but it looks like this recent charge has kicked over the latent milk jug of concerns many of them had regarding his character.

I'm also going to disagree slightly with the conclusion you bring up in the last part. Unless this thing was a total fabrication, Kane is still going to look bad and have this follow him for the remainder of his career. It doesn't matter how much of a part, if any, he had in the chain of events. If there can be an argument made that some kind of sex happened that may or may not have been consensual, it gives the haters like me some good background to bring up should fans want to begin trash talking.

But alas, as many of us have said, this is still an ongoing thing. The only thing we can do now is play the waiting game.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Oh, definitely. Even if it comes out that it's a hoax, he'll still get heckled and taunted about it in opposing cities. But if he did have sex with her and isn't charged with rape, what can the NHL do? Can they pull a Goddell and suspend him for "being in a bad situation?" They're in an awful position where they can't kick him out of the league and have to deal with horrible PR and complaints.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I guess it's gonna be a month or two before forensic results come back, which is plenty of time for Kane's Cup Party.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

One month is training camp. Two months is the season opener and banner raising on national TV. I'm trying to think of a way this doesn't get handled badly, and I'm coming up dry.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Patrick Kane Joke Compendium

Imagine an organist taunting Patrick Kane with the playing of "I Am Sixteen, Going On Seventeen."

I couldn't even tell you where a Kane's Furniture is.

In a pinch he's been known to use a table in the 10th grade science lab.

515ST1SQC1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Patrick Kane Playoff Train

He had 13 points in 17 coming into tonight. I wish I were that productive in my sleep.

EDIT: Kane had 7 in 16 but he's also scoring point-per-game oh yes I went there trolololol

In a related story, this happened:

When reached for comment, Patrick Kane remarked that his girlfriend was really upset about what Toews did to her older brother.

Speaking of Kane, he's having surgery on a broken wrist, who knows what kind of drunken shenanigans caused that injury.

Hey, it's not always about drinking escapades with Patrick Kane!

Sometimes he nails teenage girls, too! It could've been that!

Skille was settling in as a sidekick of sorts, reportedly, and so banishing him to The Hockey Retirement Community might be an effort to make some of Kane's more negative influences unavailable. If the next move Stan Bowman makes is sending every 16-year-old girl from Schaumburg to Edmonton for future considerations, I don't know what more he can possibly do.

Kind of relieved that it wasn't Patrick Kane. This time. I mean, the guy carries around a fake ID to appear like he's not legal.

I can't believe I went to the well that many times!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

New details on Kane case.

Sources with knowledge of the investigation said that the young woman who has accused the hockey superstar of rape had bite marks on her shoulders and a scratch on her leg after the alleged attack.

Obviously that doesn't mean he did rape her and it's not enough to draw conclusions.

And the bar owner seems sketchy. He said he only knew Kane casually and Kane had only been there 2 or 3 times before but Kane was going to bring the Cup there. The article also seems to let the bar owner start Kane's defence case early by casting doubt on a girl, not even one confirmed yet to be the same one who filed the report.

IbjBaeE.png

Sources with knowledge of the investigation said that the young woman who has accused the hockey superstar of rape had bite marks on her shoulders and a scratch on her leg after the alleged attack.

Obviously that doesn't mean he did rape her and it's not enough to draw conclusions.

No, but it doesn't look good either. Those aren't things people (usually) wind up with after consensual sex.

No, but it doesn't look good either. Those aren't things people (usually) wind up with after consensual sex.
The woman's lawyer will say she didn't want it while Kane's lawyer were say if was part of rough, consensual sex. That's the problem with rape cases is that they are almost always a "he said, she said".

IbjBaeE.png

Perhaps, but most women in a "he said/she said" situation don't willingly enter into a potential four-hour-plus rape kit investigation. It's incredibly invasive, remarkably thorough, and not usually something someone undergoes on a whim.

Hate to break it to you, dude bros, but any and all rape allegations need to be taken seriously. Even, maybe especially, if they're being made against someone who's good at sports.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

That bar owner's a trash pile and the Buffalo News should be ashamed for not calling him out on his crap. That "I've got no skin in the game" is about as big of a lie as possible. Yeah, you've got no skin in the game in an incident that could get your wealthiest seasonal regular locked up. And the fact that you could be held liable as a bar owner if you overserved him and he then committed a felony while intoxicated - yeah, you have no personal stake at all in how this proceeds, pal.

This jerk's just out to cover his ass, and he did it in about the scummiest way possible, short of posting the girl's drivers license on the bar's Facebook page. If anything, he's got me more convinced that Patrick Kane assaulted this woman.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't know if Lee's post was aimed at me or not, but I'm not a "dudebro" who doesn't take rape cases seriously. I'm also not blindly defending Kane nor thinking the women is out for his money or whatever some people are saying about her.

All I was trying to say is that none of the evidence so far concretely points to Kane being a rapist or the woman not being truthful and it's like that in a lot of rape cases. What with "he said/she said" is that's what happens in rape cases relating to consent, nobody will ever know if she did or didn't consent outside of her and Kane.

IbjBaeE.png

That bar owner's a trash pile and the Buffalo News should be ashamed for not calling him out on his crap. That "I've got no skin in the game" is about as big of a lie as possible. Yeah, you've got no skin in the game in an incident that could get your wealthiest seasonal regular locked up. And the fact that you could be held liable as a bar owner if you overserved him and he then committed a felony while intoxicated - yeah, you have no personal stake at all in how this proceeds, pal.

This jerk's just out to cover his ass, and he did it in about the scummiest way possible, short of posting the girl's drivers license on the bar's Facebook page. If anything, he's got me more convinced that Patrick Kane assaulted this woman.

I put most of the blame on the newspaper. People say all kinds of stuff; I think it's irresponsible to print that the way they did. Wild accusations, wild accusations, small disclaimer.

Absolutely. The Buffalo News decided to start flinging poo because no one on either side is talking, because they have column inches to fill. "Hey, here's someone who will say something about that night! Print it!"

http://www.tsn.ca/top-prospect-matthews-to-play-in-zurich-1.342161

Auston Matthews is taking his talents to Switzerland, an unprecedented move for the projected top pick in the 2016 NHL draft.

Matthews signed a one-year deal with the ZSC Lions in the Swiss National League A, foregoing a junior season with the Everett Silvertips of the Western Hockey League to play professionally as an 18-year-old.

The American centre going overseas in his draft year is more likely an anomaly than a trend setter, but the Zurich-based club will take it.

“As it has been reported, I will be playing this year for the ZSC Lions once I turn 18," Matthews said in a statement. "My focus and the focus of everyone here at the USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp is on Team USA. Therefore, my strong desire was to wait until camp was over to make any kind of announcement, to avoid distractions for my teammates and USA Hockey. It was also my intention to speak, in advance of any announcement, with Coach Constantine as well as Gary Davidson of the Everett Silvertips, who have been nothing but absolute class acts throughout this entire process. I have learned in life, however, that many things are beyond your control and this is just one of them.

I find it rather interesting that he wants to play overseas. He could possibly hone his skills even more, although I don't know how well the Silvertips are taking the news...

baltimoreravens.png

Given that Everett's in the Extra-Dumb-And-Punchy Good Canadian Boy League, it's a smart move. Get paid, focus on skill, enjoy a season of actual fan support before getting drafted by Arizona.

Archived