NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

In other news, the Flyers continue to be absolute buffoons.

Keith Jones is actually a really sharp guy with a mind for the business and an eye for talent (both human and equine).  He's funny and a prankster (at least when he did local radio) but with the right people around him to run the business stuff, he could be a good candidate to run hockey ops.  You may see only one side of him on national broadcasts, but it wouldn't be the worst hire ever.  Don't know anything about Olczyk.

EDIT:

And he once legit saved Eric Lindros' life, so there's that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 hours ago, BBTV said:

Keith Jones is actually a really sharp guy with a mind for the business and an eye for talent (both human and equine).  He's funny and a prankster (at least when he did local radio) but with the right people around him to run the business stuff, he could be a good candidate to run hockey ops.  You may see only one side of him on national broadcasts, but it wouldn't be the worst hire ever.  Don't know anything about Olczyk.

EDIT:

And he once legit saved Eric Lindros' life, so there's that.

I agree. Yes, he is another ex-Flyer in a front office/executive role, but this feels different. He has actually been pretty vocal against the way the Flyers have been doing things. Plus, I want to see what Briere can do as a GM.

6 hours ago, JayMac said:

he is another ex-Flyer in a front office/executive role, but this feels different.

He is definitely nothing like all the gatekeepers that have been holding the team back for decades.  This isn't a Clarkie, Barber, or Holmer situation - not at all.   I don't have any idea if he'll be successful, but if he fails, it won't be for the same reasons the club has been failing for the past few decades.  Never in the history of man have any people rode an accomplishment longer than the guys that won the cup in the mid '70s.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/30/2023 at 12:37 PM, Dilbert said:

Cincinnati had its chance to get into the NHL with the Stingers in the WHA merger, but the NHL only wanted the Canadian clubs and Hartford.

I'm way late to this so I apologize, but just to add to what's already been said, the NHL actually didn't want the Canadian teams, at least not at first. the WHA/NHL merger almost didn't happen because the Leafs, Canadiens and Canucks tried to block it; the Canucks due to travel issues (which were satisfied by the promise of a perfectly balanced, "everyone plays everyone 4 times" schedule) but all of them because they didn't want to split Hockey Night In Canada revenue 6-ways instead of 3. (Let me stop and point out how ironic it is that the Canucks joined this, considering that the Leafs & Habs pulling the same exact stunt in 1967 is why Vancouver had to wait until 1970 for an NHL team.) It took a boycott of Molson (who owned the Canadiens and were the Canucks' official beer at the time) that started in Edmonton, Winnipeg & Quebec City but rapidly went national before those two teams caved; the Leafs never did, since Harold Ballard hated the WHA on principle for killing his beloved reserve clause, but by that point they were the lone holdout and the merger went through anyways.

• Like 1

And as for Houston, like yeah, they're probably a better market than Phoenix at this point, but that's a pathetically-low bar in my opinion. Its metro area is huge but as a city proper it's only slightly bigger than Phoenix; their last pro hockey team folded a half-century ago, a year after Gordie Howe & his sons left them to go play in Hartford; and their last hockey team period got chased out to Iowa by the Rockets' previous hockey-hating owner a decade ago. At least Phoenix had a long history of minor league hockey to lean on, with various incarnations of the Roadrunners existing on-and-off at various levels from the late-60s right up until the Coyotes settled there; and obviously Quebec City has to be mentioned, since the Remparts are always one of the top-drawing junior teams, occasionally out-drawing some NHL teams even; but Houston hasn't had any hockey team to care about in 10 years! So it has to be asked: does anyone there still care now?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Canucks tried to block it; the Canucks due to travel issues

To clarify this, it was that the Canucks were afraid that more teams would mean that the TML and Canadiens would visit fewer times, which would reduce their gate.  Not that the Canucks had concerns with their own travel.

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/03/23/archives/nhl-approves-plan-to-merge-with-four-clubs-from-wha-no-details.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Happy Coyotes Election Eve to all those who celebrate!

There needs to be a party to watch the votes come in at a Johnny Rockets for old time’s sake.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

VmWIn6B.png

The final four bids for the Senators have been submitted. The front runner right now is a group that consists of the minority owner of the Habs and the former minority owners of the Penguins. An interesting note on them is both of these parties have been in contact with Ryan Renyolds. So there is still a chance that Reynolds could be part of the Senators ownership group.

Report: Four bids for Senators submitted, including one at $1 billion

Watch the video from "That's Hockey" as it has more details.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 7:41 PM, BBTV said:

To clarify this, it was that the Canucks were afraid that more teams would mean that the TML and Canadiens would visit fewer times, which would reduce their gate.  Not that the Canucks had concerns with their own travel.

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/03/23/archives/nhl-approves-plan-to-merge-with-four-clubs-from-wha-no-details.html

Most Canadian thing ever. Molson would've gone out of business. 🤣🍻

The Montreal Canadiens are owned by the Molson Breweries, and when hockey fans in Quebec City and Edmonton heard that their W.H.A. teams would be denied the opportunity to play in the N.H.L. because of Montreal's negative vote, they threatened to boycott the beer.

• Like 1

Say hello to Mullett Arena, the new temporary-until-further-notice home of your Arizona Coyotes.

They are not leaving the state until Gary Bettman is in the ground, and even then.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.