2015 NFL Season-Now with Playoff Talk

buzzcut

The main time we see this Illegal Batting rule called is during onside kicks.

The reason the Illegal Batting rule is in place is to require the player to actually make a play. On the situations where you see punters or offensive players swat/kick the ball out the back (or side) of the end zone, flags generally aren't thrown for IB because the result of the play (most likely, a safety) is the better option than moving the ball back and replaying the down.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerry Austin just confirmed that it was illegal batting and Detroit should've had the ball back, so there's just another pile of salt to rub into Detroit's always-sizable wounds.

Really? Really?? Dude, no... How would that be illegal batting? Come to think of it, since when was there a rule for batting the ball out of a man's hands?

And this is about is that the Kitten and their fans are Sore. Losers. LEH-HOO. SEI-ERS.

Yet another super classy Seahawks fan.

Really, that was the most Lions-like play of all time. They managed to choke away certain victory with a mind-numbing mistake AND AT THE SAME TIME fall victim to a blown call from an obscure part of the rule book.

Both the Lions and Browns losses this week felt like franchise-defining metaphors or microcosms.

Really, that was the most Lions-like play of all time. They managed to choke away certain victory with a mind-numbing mistake AND AT THE SAME TIME fall victim to a blown call from an obscure part of the rule book.

Both the Lions and Browns losses this week felt like franchise-defining metaphors or microcosms.

The Lions loss felt like a gut punch to me - and I'm not even a Lions fan. Holy hell, that was a tough one.

BB52Big.jpg

Stop. Changing. The title. Of this thread.

Seconded. Especially when it's not especially clever.

I'm glad the refs didn't call the penalty last night and let common sense rule. Chancellor made a great play that saved the game; Wright batting the ball was essentially immaterial because the ball was headed out anyway and no one could have stopped it.

Sucks to be the Lions, but they also had their chance to win and didn't.

The Seahawks need to get their act together on offense. It's looking dire our there and they can't rely on miracles forever.

Also, Luke Willson kind of looks like he plays harder than Jimmy Graham. He was more noticeable at the end, anyway.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm glad the refs didn't call the penalty last night and let common sense rule. Chancellor made a great play that saved the game; Wright batting the ball was essentially immaterial because the ball was headed out anyway and no one could have stopped it.

The Seahawks need to get their act together on offense. It's looking dire our there and they can't rely on miracles forever.

Also, Luke Willson kind of looks like he plays harder than Jimmy Graham. He was more noticeable at the end, anyway.

That's what I've been saying all morning. It would've been far worse for the Seahawks to lose on that stupid technicality. It was inconsequential to the play and would've been a dreadful way to lose.

After much thinking about it the rule is in place because if there's a fumble in the endzone they want both sides to have to complete an equal action, which is a fumble recovery. If an offensive player and a defensive player are both going for the same ball then it's much easier just to punch it than it is to jump on it and gain possession. That makes more sense. That creates another question - is it also illegal batting if there's a fumble within the regular 100 yards of play and an offensive player bats a fumble out of bounds and away from a defender to maintain possession?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Given that one of the examples I've seen of illegal batting enforced was one where a defending player tapped the ball upfield (relative to the line of scrimmage offensively) in the middle of the field of play, nowhere within 20 yards of either boundary, so I have to imagine that it's a general rule that's supposed to preclude all possible cases of directly batting a loose ball in a way that is advantageous for your team over the other.

spacer.png

Don't forget this gem...

dalpi-0.gif?w=640&h=360

Call me biased but the call last night was not nearly as egregious as this one. That gets called 99 times out of 100.

I would agree. I think last night's call happened because that ref just honestly didn't know the rules.

The above call in the Lions/Cowboys game actually got called on the field, and the ref allowed himself to be intimidated by the crowd and Dez Bryant acting like a jackass. I'm the farthest thing from a Lions' fan, but that was true screw job against them in Dallas.

Don't forget this gem...

dalpi-0.gif?w=640&h=360

Call me biased but the call last night was not nearly as egregious as this one. That gets called 99 times out of 100.

I would agree. I think last night's call happened because that refjust honestly didn't know the rules.

The above call in the Lions/Cowboys game actually got called on the field, and the ref allowed himself to be intimidated by the crowd and Dez Bryant acting like a jackass. I'm the farthest thing from a Lions' fan, but that was true screw job against them in Dallas.

I forgot that it was actually called PI on the field and it got reversed because of a diva receiver cried.

I think last night's call happened because that refjust honestly didn't know the rules.

Oh, when you put it that way, I'm totally ok with it. It's not like the people who are paid to enforce the rules of the game are supposed to know ALL of the rules or anything like that.

It's a good thing that, at this point, being a Lions fan is more comical than sad.

That's what I've been saying all morning. It would've been far worse for the Seahawks to lose on that stupid technicality. It was inconsequential to the play and would've been a dreadful way to lose.

After much thinking about it the rule is in place because if there's a fumble in the endzone they want both sides to have to complete an equal action, which is a fumble recovery. If an offensive player and a defensive player are both going for the same ball then it's much easier just to punch it than it is to jump on it and gain possession. That makes more sense. That creates another question - is it also illegal batting if there's a fumble within the regular 100 yards of play and an offensive player bats a fumble out of bounds and away from a defender to maintain possession?

Wright said that he intentionally hit the ball out of the end zone because he didn't want to risk trying to recover it. I'd hardly call that inconsequential or a technicality considering the reason he hit the ball rather than letting it go or trying to pick it up is why that rule exists.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Graham doesn't like to block or do all the grunt work that comes with being a tight end. Having seen him with the Saints, if it's clear that Graham's duty on a certain play is to either block or run a decoy/clearing passing route, he kind of phones in the effort.

Archived