Lowercase/mixed case names on back (NOBs)

sc49erfan15

After seeing Louisville's travesty of a uniform last night, complete with an awful nameplate font in mixed case, it got me thinking about which other sports uniforms have featured this oddity. Generally, we expect names on the back of jerseys to be in all caps - normal exceptions being single letters in "McGwire," "deGrom," etc.

I can only think of 3:

Louisville's aforementioned disaster:

460x.jpg

And two from the ABA, the Memphis Sounds and Kentucky Colonels:

Sounds%2074-75%20Home%20Back%20George%20

14979c_lg.jpeg

^great shot of Zelmo Beaty taking on Artis Gilmore, in gorgeous uniforms - mixed case NOB be damned.

What other oddly-cased NOBs are we missing?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The Washington Bullets at one time (I want to say circa 1985) had NOBs in mixed-case straight-across Crillee (italic included). Bad, bad, bad.

Yes! The Bernard King/Muggsy Bogues/Manute Bol era. 1987 to sometime in the early 90s? Good call. I don't think it's Crillee though - my guess would be italic + bold Serpentine or something similar.

129672971-kevin-willis-and-tree-rollins-

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Miami does it not with just NOBs but with their entire font package. :puke:

CKPWSa8WoAAbYZI.0.0.jpg

I can't find the picture, but in the College Football 2015 megathread someone posted a picture of Brad Kaaya's jersey and the back looked absolutely atrocious.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I don't think it's Crillee though - my guess would be italic + bold Serpentine or something similar.

You're right. It is Serpentine. I transpose those two all the time. They're both ugly in roughly the same way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lowercase NOBs have been a fairly common occurrence in European soccer over the past number of years. Dinamo Zagreb was wearing them in their Champions League game against Arsenal this past week. This photo isn't from that game, but give you an idea of what they look like:

1851837_w2.jpg

Here's another of Arsenal themselves wearing lowercase NOBs in a 2012 Champions League game:

arsenal-fc-vs-ac-milan-3-0-uefa-champion

English teams can choose their own name and number fonts for games outside the Premier League; in the PL, there is a standard font.

Lowercase NOBs have been a fairly common occurrence in European soccer over the past number of years. Dinamo Zagreb was wearing them in their Champions League game against Arsenal this past week. This photo isn't from that game, but give you an idea of what they look like:

1851837_w2.jpg

Here's another of Arsenal themselves wearing lowercase NOBs in a 2012 Champions League game:

arsenal-fc-vs-ac-milan-3-0-uefa-champion

English teams can choose their own name and number fonts for games outside the Premier League; in the PL, there is a standard font.

In soccer, lowercase names are generally a Puma thing, but I thought they were getting over it. Guess not.

Italy%20WC%20Squad.jpg

swiss.jpg

Luis+Suarez+Olympics+Day+1+Men+Football+

18217877.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

IHL era Orlando SolarBears

orl11_b_zpsn63lxzyf.jpg

I think Northeastern University did similar not to long ago. Same font too, IIRC.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Speaking of the IHL, the Phoenix Roadrunners' blue flame alts did it:

Roadrunners29SHEVALIERaltbackG.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Speaking of the IHL, the Phoenix Roadrunners' blue flame alts did it:

Roadrunners29SHEVALIERaltbackG.jpg

How have I never seen these before??
Boy o boy, those are hot garbage lol

Cram it, clownie.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived