MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

4 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I guess the Brewers are wearing the throwbacks in the All Star Game? 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf8HJKZWsAAFF2E.jpg

Looks like they're wearing BiG for all these events. 

Cf8HJKZWsAAFF2E.jpg:large

I actually like the All-Star one.  At least they got the color right. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but you may be the only person I know who would consider buying that hat as an homage to former players on your favorite team.... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy a hat clearly meant to resemble any other team's hat as a honor to a former Oriole.  That is what wearing an actual hat of your favorite team is for.

I strongly doubt that I am the only one who would like such a hat for that reason. 

When a beloved player goes to a new team, I feel certain that many fans of his old team take up an interest in that team (except in a case like Lebron James going from the Cavs to the Heat, where he actively pissed off the fans in his old city).  I knew lots of Met fans who started ardently following the Reds after Seaver was traded there.  And I as a Yankee fan experienced this when Reggie signed with the California Angels.  My interest in that team, which had been nil, became enormous.  Likewise with the aforementioned Nettles and Gossage going over to the Padres.  That year, 1984, was the only year during my time following baseball that I ever rooted for the National League team in the World Series. (In 1986 I was neutral -- and miserable.)   I cannot believe that I am the only fan who felt something like this; I would bet, for example, that many Brewer fans took a greater than normal interest in the Blue Jays after Paul Molitor joined that team.

Furthermore, many people have long-established divided loyalties, and like multiple teams.  Sometimes it's on account of having moved. Exemplifying this is a friend of mine who grew up in Oakland, spent several decades in New York starting as an adolescent, and then moved back to the Bay Area about 10 years ago. He likes the A's and the Yankees equally. 

Ssometimes it's just a weird quirky thing.  A guy I used to know, a big Yankee fan and a lifelong resident of the New York area, was also passionate about the Reds. (And it had nothing to do with Seaver; this guy hated the Mets.) He told me that the Reds' Running Man logo had been his first impression of baseball when he was a kid; and he retained his love for that team alongside the Yankees -- even despite the Reds' sweep of the Yankees in the 1976 Series. 

My own first impressions of baseball are linked to the 1972 World Series and the A's.  In the first World Series game I ever saw, Gene Tenace, a player who shares my birthday (and who is Italian!), hit homers in his first two at-bats. Instant connection. There was no way not to become wrapped up in that beautiflly-uniformed team as they, in all their mustachioed glory, dispatched the terribly square-looking Reds. I retained a rooting interest in the A's throughout my life as a Yankee fan, and felt emotionally satisfied when they returned to greatness beginning in the late 1980s.

For these reasons, I believe that having emotions for more than one team is not rare at all.  And so such a fan could very well want to buy a crossover cap featuring elements from two teams -- be it a cap from this Padres-themed set, or be it just a recoloured cap, for example a Yankee cap in A's colours.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Overlooked aspect of the whole mess of uniforms released today: Chief Wahoo was not recolored on any of the uniforms, unlike every other sleeve patch. Have to imagine that's because the involved cancer foundations didn't wan't a "controversial" logo awash in their colors. And of course, recoloring a caricature of a Native American in camo or stars and stripes would just be.. well, it's painfully obvious why that's a terrible idea.

If a logo is so racist that it would be too controversial to recolor it for cancer awareness or as art of a patriotic celebration, then it's probably too racist to exist at all.

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm no fan of the ball-in-glove but good G-d Milwaukee. Just pull the trigger already.

Well, my gut feeling already tells me we are going to see the new navy BiG alternate about 100 times this season.

I remember making the slow decent down the ramps of Yankee Stadium ten or so years ago, and seeing an Atlanta Braves cap in the colors of the home Oakland Athletics cap.  I later found that this was it's own brand that New Era had put together, something called... Switch... something...  Switchup?  Can't remember.  But this was a thing where caps were being done in other teams' colors, not just the standard colored fashion caps.  I found it very fascinating.  Wonder if it's still around anywhere.

Bwahahahahaha.  I'm watching the Yankees play the Blue Jays, and a person in the crowd is wearing a Yankees jacket with a Blue Jays spring training hat.  One of the announcers said he must be a really conflicted fan, and the other said "Well, he's wearing a Leafs hat, so he can't be too conflicted."

spacer.png

spacer.png

I eagerly await the almost inevitable Brewers and Padres returns to their rightful color schemes (royal blue and gold, and brown and gold, respectively).

Then again, seeing the dumpster fire that was the Diamondbacks' rebrand, maybe I shouldn't be hopeful about any rebrands on the horizon...

19 minutes ago, TVIXX said:

Same with the Brewers with navy and yellow

If the Brewers change at all, it better be back to royal/yellow, maybe even with some powder blue thrown in.  I don't understand why they seem so hell bent on keeping navy as the primary color.  I think navy was first introduced around 1994 and the team has been bad just about the entire time they've had it, so there's really no historically significant reason to hang on to it.

44 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

If the Brewers change at all, it better be back to royal/yellow, maybe even with some powder blue thrown in.  I don't understand why they seem so hell bent on keeping navy as the primary color.  I think navy was first introduced around 1994 and the team has been bad just about the entire time they've had it, so there's really no historically significant reason to hang on to it.

Your memory is excellent. 

They had one good navy set, from 96-99.  Other than that, the navy uniforms haven't been strong enough to overcome the emotional attachment to the BiG.  Time to switch back. 

Archived