MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

36 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Your memory is excellent. 

They had one good navy set, from 96-99.  Other than that, the navy uniforms haven't been strong enough to overcome the emotional attachment to the BiG.  Time to switch back. 

LOL...my memory wasn't really that good.  I knew it was the mid '90s but I googled the uniform history to get the exact year.  In retrospect, I actually think the first uniform set that used navy wasn't that bad, although I think it would have looked much better without the piping.  I just think the royal blue gives so much more life to a look, especially with the varsity gold added in. The navy/gold is just so dull and drab.  If the Brewers end up doing a re-color, I sure hope they don't turn it into a several year process like San Diego has.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I strongly doubt that I am the only one who would like such a hat for that reason. 

When a beloved player goes to a new team, I feel certain that many fans of his old team take up an interest in that team (except in a case like Lebron James going from the Cavs to the Heat, where he actively pissed off the fans in his old city).  I knew lots of Met fans who started ardently following the Reds after Seaver was traded there.  And I as a Yankee fan experienced this when Reggie signed with the California Angels.  My interest in that team, which had been nil, became enormous.  Likewise with the aforementioned Nettles and Gossage going over to the Padres.  That year, 1984, was the only year during my time following baseball that I ever rooted for the National League team in the World Series. (In 1986 I was neutral -- and miserable.)   I cannot believe that I am the only fan who felt something like this; I would bet, for example, that many Brewer fans took a greater than normal interest in the Blue Jays after Paul Molitor joined that team.

Furthermore, many people have long-established divided loyalties, and like multiple teams.  Sometimes it's on account of having moved. Exemplifying this is a friend of mine who grew up in Oakland, spent several decades in New York starting as an adolescent, and then moved back to the Bay Area about 10 years ago. He likes the A's and the Yankees equally. 

Ssometimes it's just a weird quirky thing.  A guy I used to know, a big Yankee fan and a lifelong resident of the New York area, was also passionate about the Reds. (And it had nothing to do with Seaver; this guy hated the Mets.) He told me that the Reds' Running Man logo had been his first impression of baseball when he was a kid; and he retained his love for that team alongside the Yankees -- even despite the Reds' sweep of the Yankees in the 1976 Series. 

My own first impressions of baseball are linked to the 1972 World Series and the A's.  In the first World Series game I ever saw, Gene Tenace, a player who shares my birthday (and who is Italian!), hit homers in his first two at-bats. Instant connection. There was no way not to become wrapped up in that beautiflly-uniformed team as they, in all their mustachioed glory, dispatched the terribly square-looking Reds. I retained a rooting interest in the A's throughout my life as a Yankee fan, and felt emotionally satisfied when they returned to greatness beginning in the late 1980s.

For these reasons, I believe that having emotions for more than one team is not rare at all.  And so such a fan could very well want to buy a crossover cap featuring elements from two teams -- be it a cap from this Padres-themed set, or be it just a recoloured cap, for example a Yankee cap in A's colours.

I have to figure the crossover in the venn diagram between fans of Team A and people who love the early 80's Padres look isn't very large. It doesn't include me. 

I lived in Seattle and became a Mariners fan. American League, other side of the country, rarely play the Reds, the Griffeys played for both teams. It's a perfect "second" team for me to pick up. That is the only other team's hat I'll wear. The only situation in which I would purchase the Reds version of another team's hat would be if Seattle got the All Star Game again and put a compass rose on top of every team's logo in navy blue and teal. But I'm not one of these people who buys gear from teams outside of my allegiances. That might put me in the minority around these parts. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I have to figure the crossover in the venn diagram between fans of Team A and people who love the early 80's Padres look isn't very large. It doesn't include me. 

I lived in Seattle and became a Mariners fan. American League, other side of the country, rarely play the Reds, the Griffeys played for both teams. It's a perfect "second" team for me to pick up. That is the only other team's hat I'll wear. The only situation in which I would purchase the Reds version of another team's hat would be if Seattle got the All Star Game again and put a compass rose on top of every team's logo in navy blue and teal. But I'm not one of these people who buys gear from teams outside of my allegiances. That might put me in the minority around these parts. 

Depends. Ill never buy a hat of a team im not a fan of, but hats like the ASG ones ill get(i havent, but im not against it). The BP ones ? Nope. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

24 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This makes more sense to me, though I'm not sure I would buy the hat even under that circumstance.

I can certainly feel an attachment to the player (or manager -- see below), but it doesn't create a real allegiance to the team for me.  At best, it might make me lean toward the player's new team in an otherwise neutral scenario.  It probably wouldn't make me a full-fledged fan of the team.

The best personal example I can think of is Joe Maddon.  We attended the same college (albeit about 8 years apart) . . . and he seems like a pretty cool guy all the way around.  That certainly didn't make me a Rays fan.  Now, I wish him well with the Cubs*, but I wouldn't say I'm now a Cubs fan . . . and I don't envision buying a Cubs hat in his honor.

* -- Dexter Fowler notwithstanding.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The father's day stuff is really nice. I love the color scheme. I'm tempted to by a hat.

The camo is terrible as always. July 4th ones are "fun with panels and sublimations!!11"

The Derby hats are cool if you're a Padres fan, but stupid for other teams and I miss hats that had NL and AL on them. The actual ASG hats are nice in a vacuum but teams should wear their actual hats in the game. Whoever said it looks like NFL all-gold everything was spot on.

I think my favorite Memorial Day/July 4 hats were the first ones they did when they were just red or navy with the flag pattern in the logo.

On 30/03/2016 at 3:42 PM, Around the Horn said:

Not even. The 1994 strike is what killed the Expos. First place in the league when the season ended. After the strike the fans left and never returned.

They could have won it all and still be here in a baseball specific park. They were even in the planning stages of one back then.

That was a big part of it yes, but ownership did nothing to bring back the fans.  Every other team managed to stay afloat after the 94 strike.

banners

Marlins fan here... noticing the Fathers Day and Mothers Day jerseys for them suddenly have numbers on the front of the jersey, which isn't on their actual jerseys and hasn't been done with them since their rebrand. And, sorry, sue me but I really like how this looks. It probably shouldn't be worn on a major league field but it looks super damn cool to me, I love it. 

Miami Marlins 2016 Memorial Day Uniform (Photo: Chris Creamer/SportsLogos.Net)

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

They way I read this, you are supporting my point.  Your willingness to buy a hat featuring a crossover Mariners/Reds design in honour of the Griffeys is the analogue of my willingness to buy a hat featuring a crossover Padres/Yankees design in honour of Nettles and Gossage.

(In response to the sentences of yours that appear before and after the one which I have bolded, I will note that here I am not referring to wearing other teams' gear -- which is something that I as a Yankee fan did by wearing hats of the A's, the Giants, and the Blue Jays.  The topic here is the relatively rare crossover gear, a pretty recent phenomenon that didn't exist when I was a baseball fan.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

My point to this would be that yes, some fans may have a secondary team they occasionally root for or watch because of a certain player...but the odds of a significant portion of fans all being secondary Padres fans enough to buy their team's cap styled in SD colors and logos will be so inconsequential that it makes this entire line stupid. It doesn't help that all of them look like junk, too.

I gotta say, I love the way these caps look.  I don't know if I'd ever buy it, but I like the looks.  If I had the extra money and space, I definitely would.

My question to those who doubt they would is: What if your player from your team went to the Derby and won in crazy dramatic fashion that left you with a memory you always held with you?

Of course, that counts on you finding the caps attractive but just not having desire to buy them right now.  If you think they're godawful, I guess that would count under great moments being ruined by terrible uniforms in your mind.

42 minutes ago, DAKINS24 said:

That was a big part of it yes, but ownership did nothing to bring back the fans.  Every other team managed to stay afloat after the 94 strike.

The big factor was the fire sale, which I'd mentioned earlier.

22 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

They way I read this, you are supporting my point.  Your willingness to buy a hat featuring a crossover Mariners/Reds design in honour of the Griffeys is the analogue of my willingness to buy a hat featuring a crossover Padres/Yankees design in honour of Nettles and Gossage.

(In response to the sentences of yours that appear before and after the one which I have bolded, I will note that here I am not referring to wearing other teams' gear -- which is something that I as a Yankee fan did by wearing hats of the A's, the Giants, and the Blue Jays.  The topic here is the relatively rare crossover gear, a pretty recent phenomenon that didn't exist when I was a baseball fan.)

Not really reacting to this, but just curious as to why you stopped wearing baseball hats.  You mentioned earlier in the thread about it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

50 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

My original joke was that the percentage of people who are fans of their team and also big enough fans of the 1984 Padres' identity that they'll be arsed to purchase the HR Derby hat is very small. That you happen to fall into that small group doesn't change that. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Not really reacting to this, but just curious as to why you stopped wearing baseball hats.  You mentioned earlier in the thread about it.

I stopped following baseball. And I will hasten to mention that this had nothing to do with steroids; that doesn't bother me one bit. What happened was that I just got really turned off by interleague play.  I had held my nose for the wild card; but the introduction of interleague play really flipped a switch in me emotionally.  The fact that the Yankees won the World Series in the last year before the introduction of interleague play helped to seal the deal on my departure, as that capped my "baseball career" as a fan very nicely.

I am still interested in the history of baseball; and I have continued to learn plenty of fascinating things about it.  I just don't go past 1996 in my study.  The only interest that I take in baseball after that point is the looks of the uniforms; and a large portion of that interest is rooted in history.  For instance, I am no longer a Yankee fan (and I don't like today's Yankee fans -- which is a whole other story!); but I do care that the Yankees not change their uniform. I care not as a supporter of the team, but as a historically-minded observer. Likewise my satisfaction with the Blue Jays' return to their true look and with the Mets' removal of black in order to restore their classic look, and my hopes for the Padres' return to brown and fpr the Brewers' full-time adoption of the ball-in-glove logo. Additionally, I also enjoy just evaluating baseball uniforms in terms of aesthetics, on account of my being an opinionated blowhard. But I don't care who wins the games.

I want to be clear that I still wear baseball caps. I have more than 100 of them.  I just don't wear the ones that have logos of baseball teams -- with the single exception of my Philadelphia A's cap, which evokes a particular historical period, and which also serves as a souvenir of my proudest achievement.  (The weird irony is that I wear that hat but I no longer wear my Oakland A's cap.)  The sports-related caps that I wear now have logos of Chelsea, NYCFC, the Cosmos, the Nets, and the Lizards (MLL), and of the defunct CityHawks (Arena Football League), Dragons (also Arena), Hitmen (XFL), and Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars (USFL).

But the majority of my baseball caps are not sports-related.  They feature a variety of things, such as the symbol of my political ideology, logos of television shows (in fact, just yesterday I ordered a hat with the Jeopardy! logo), and an assortment of other things in the culture (the bicycle symbol, Bugs Bunny's face, the symbol of the J train of the New York City subway, the Nathan's logo, a pot leaf, etc.). I even have a cap with my name on it!

The only problem with wearing lots of hats is that some people get the idea that a bald guy is wearing hats as an expression of shame at being bald.  (The "Ron Howard Syndrome".) It is important to me, as someone who likes how he looks, not to give that impression; so I try to avoid it by frequently removing whatever hat I am wearing.  But, generally, I remain a hat-wearing guy when I am outdoors. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

46 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But the majority of my baseball caps are not sports-related.  They feature a variety of things, such as the symbol of my political ideology, logos of television shows (in fact, just yesterday I ordered a hat with the Jeopardy! logo), and an assortment of other things in the culture (the bicycle symbol, Bugs Bunny's face, the symbol of the J train of the New York City subway, the Nathan's logo, a pot leaf, etc.). I even have a cap with my name on it!

Haha! Me too. I got one with the teal T on it... I'd consider getting more of those NYC Subway hats but they're really not that good quality wise (and I can't stand curved brims- thats why I'm a fan of NE 5950s). If they made flat brim fitted style, I'd consider getting more but I stick to the shirts...

I'd consider getting one with the SEPTA logo but that's a story for another day.

3 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

CgBWsyaUAAA4DAG.jpg

I actually like these, just not with the pinstripe pants. I wonder how they would look with the cream alt pants?

Archived