Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

MLB 2k5 used the same number font for every team

Are you sure about this? I seem to remember the Brewers having the correct font. I know because it would have driven me batty as well. Since All Star Baseball was about as accurate as you could get as far as unis, and I owned them both.

packchampionslfroh.png

NBA Jam for Sega Genesis had some of these types of issues. If I remember right, whenever you were ever the Phoenix Suns in that game, and played against a blue or purple team, it would make the Suns wear white jerseys with bright yellow trim. Also, even though it had the new Bucks logo (purple), it still had the Bucks wearing white/dark green/light green.

NBA Live 98 for Sega Genesis had some weird stuff going on, too. I remember that for their Wizards court, the out-of-bounds flooring was bright gold. I know that's not a uniform issue, but it's still a glaring weird color issue.

RBI Baseball for NES had the California Angels wearing light blue and purplish-pink. Slightly more understandable, but still inaccurate, it also had the Astros in all-orange uniforms.

...RBI Baseball for NES had the California Angels wearing light blue and purplish-pink. Slightly more understandable, but still inaccurate, it also had the Astros in all-orange uniforms.

See, I think those are more about the limitations of the systems. The Red Sox were red and blue, so they couldn't have another team also be red and blue, since they couldn't show logos or pinstripes (not that either team had them) or anything like that.

Also:

I was wrong about Mizzou being green in NCAA Basketball for SNES---they wore white and home and dark metallic gold on the road, which is probably pretty accurate. However, I was totally right about them being green in NCAA 98 (at least the PC version), and here's a screenshot as proof:

http://www.old-games.com/screenshot/6130-16-ncaa-football-98.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, it is excusable in the earlier systems. Nintendo, SNES, Genesis with the limited color pallets and who can forget when you had the licensing issues too. City names yes, team names no. Logos, lol I remember Sports Talk Baseball. The Milwaukee logo was some kind of Expos hybrid lol. I will try and find a pic.

Anything post X-Box and PS2 is inexcusable, the rendering is so much better. It's more on the R&D department and the artists. I remember NFL 2k5 had a gold alternate for the Packers, I guess because, like the real world today everyone had to have an alternate.

• Like 2
packchampionslfroh.png

Madden '95, '96 and '97 each had the Jaguars in teal helmets, teal jerseys and gold pants, then they finally fixed it in the '98 version

-------------------

NBA Hangtime from Midway had Vancouver in Toronto's colors and Toronto in Vancouver's colors

• Like 3

Now that I'm awake enough to remember em: EA's Arena Football games, mostly the unlockable teams. EA gave the Oklahoma Wranglers early 2000s Miami ripoffs like the unrelated Austin Wranglers wore at the time, only they never wore anything remotely resembling it (their real uniforms featured jerseys with maroon torsos, black sleeves and a silver yoke [with the traveling whites having silver sleeves and a maroon yoke]), while the New York Cityhawks only had the gold helmet...with purple home jerseys, white roads and white pants (three things the Cityhawks never wore in their brief existence. Their 1997 uniforms featured gold helmets and pants with black jerseys...and gold jerseys worn with black helmets and pants; in 98, they wore all black at home, all gold on the road). Another swing and miss was the Houston Thunderbears, I forget what EA gave em, but I think orange pants were part of the game version's road uni. I do remember what was nowhere in sight: the orange thunderbolts that'd adorned the RL jerseys and pants. They probably got the Detroit Fury wrong, but those disgraces only deserve to be forgotten :D That I was surprised they managed to get the Milwaukee Mustangs exactly right is kinda sad.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I know we said NES doesn't count due to system limitations, but some of the combinations in the licensed MLB game were interesting:

-- The system couldn't use yellow in the uniforms, so the Pirates wore peach unis / black accessories at home and dark gray unis / peach accessories on the road
-- The system couldn't do royal blue or navy blue in the uniforms, so the Astros (home accs and road unis(?!)), Tigers, Red Sox (road accs), Cubs, Dodgers, Blue Jays, White Sox, Royals, Mariners and Rangers (road accs) all used the same replacement color.....purple! The Mets, Indians, Brewers and Rangers (home accs) had a different color....light purple! So what about the Braves, Expos (home accs*) and Twins (home accs*)? This blue. The Yankees? They used black, so they looked exactly like the Giants.
-- The Expos, Blue Jays and Royals had powder blue road unis, but for some reason the Cubs and Phillies had.....even lighter purple
-- The Athletics had white road unis
-- The Reds had pink road unis instead of gray (even though the Cardinals had gray/red)

-- The Angels had hot pink accessories

-- The Brewers had gold road unis

* - Despite having blue home accessories, they switched to red on the road

• Like 2

Until NBA 2k came out for the new gen consoles (PS4, One) they messed up the blue of the Knicks uniforms every time. The unis itself were accurate, but they just used the colours from the official logos. This bugged me so much that I couldn't play as them, because it just looked like they were the Thunder.

• Like 1

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

I know we said NES doesn't count due to system limitations, but some of the combinations in the licensed MLB game were interesting:

-- The system couldn't use yellow in the uniforms, so the Pirates wore peach unis / black accessories at home and dark gray unis / peach accessories on the road

-- The system couldn't do royal blue or navy blue in the uniforms, so the Astros (home accs and road unis(?!)), Tigers, Red Sox (road accs), Cubs, Dodgers, Blue Jays, White Sox, Royals, Mariners and Rangers (road accs) all used the same replacement color.....purple! The Mets, Indians, Brewers and Rangers (home accs) had a different color....light purple! So what about the Braves, Expos (home accs*) and Twins (home accs*)? This blue. The Yankees? They used black, so they looked exactly like the Giants.

-- The Expos, Blue Jays and Royals had powder blue road unis, but for some reason the Cubs and Phillies had.....even lighter purple

-- The Athletics had white road unis

-- The Reds had pink road unis instead of gray (even though the Cardinals had gray/red)

-- The Angels had hot pink accessories

-- The Brewers had gold road unis

* - Despite having blue home accessories, they switched to red on the road

Are you talking about the MLB game made by LJN? I loved that game. You could pick your lineups. I loved making all star teams.

Edit: found a pic!

Major%20League%20Baseball-3.png

My Orioles in anthracite and peach!

• Like 1

It's not a problem with the uniforms themselves, but in NCAA 14, the home crowd for Umass (who played generic stadium, rather than Gillette) wore red and blue.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I remember a couple from NHL '94, the Bruins wore their super-retro colours of brown and gold, and the Devils had a black jersey on the road (which I still think would make a decent alternate today):
nr10HFy.png

I remember Sports Talk Baseball. The Milwaukee logo was some kind of Expos hybrid lol. I will try and find a pic.

It just so happens that years ago I made a collage of all of that game's logos, some of which were pretty silly:
mCT6rAA.png

I love Pittsburgh's lame looking pirate, and I still create the "Seattle S's" in other games sometimes. Like you said, Milwaukee (sorry, "Ilwaukee") essentially steals Montreal's logo with some slight changes, and in return Montreal seemed to rip off Milwaukee's BiG logo!

Actually, I still really like that game, especially the stilted robotic commentary. "Ground ball to third. NO: He drops the ball! I can't, be-lieve it."

• Like 9

I'd never heard of Sports Talk Baseball, but those logos are hilarious. I love the shortened geographic names especially: Langeles, Sdiego, Kansas (even funnier since it's in Missouri), NYork, Cincin.

The Blue Jays logo looks like a Saturday morning cartoon from the 1940s, with a...flower stuck to the side of its head?

And what on earth is happening with that Twins logo? "Minn," with the team name appearing to be "Tatatat?" :lol:

• Like 8

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Can't get any screen shots, but NHL 2K5 leaves the "current" (2004) Font on any throwback uniforms. I.e. The Sharks currents at the time were the blue and silver shoulder fill ins, but when you did the original throw backs, you got the font on sweater. It was the same with the Kings. (Gretzky era throwbacks with current font, looked a lot like today's uniforms)

Every NHL uniform was also pretty historically accurate, you could even be the Oakland Seals, who moved to CLE, merged with MIN, and moved to DAL. But you can't play as the Whalers. They don't even exist in the game. You can't play as the St. Louis Eagles, but you can buy the logo to put on a custom fantasy team, but not the Whalers. You can play as the huge hockey communities of France and Kazakstan, but not the Whalers. (Catching on?)

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10