Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, quantum said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pack having an alt that wasn't a throwback. Seems like most fans that are into uniform design think their own team is untouchable and find something to bitch about anyways. As for the color rush, the pant striping is OK by me, since the focus is on monochrome for the jersey, pants and socks. Might as well have that striping match.

I'm a pats fan, I know they need an upgrade. Mainly removing the side panels and maybe going from navy to royal would help their look, and adding more red to the uniform overall is needed. I don't know where you are getting your idea from.

4 hours ago, quantum said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pack having an alt that wasn't a throwback. Seems like most fans that are into uniform design think their own team is untouchable and find something to bitch about anyways. As for the color rush, the pant striping is OK by me, since the focus is on monochrome for the jersey, pants and socks. Might as well have that striping match.

From what I remember from NFL rules, the only alt they could have is a colour swapped version of their home or road jerseys. A rule which i hate, by the way

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

One thing that’s bothered me about these Color Rush uniforms is that they plopped the exact same block numerals on a bunch of teams. I would have preferred some teams use their current numerals or maybe an authentic block style from the throwback era they were inspired by.

Hoping the retail version being sold is correct and that the Saints' Gold Rush numbers have a serif look that some of the numbers the original/late '60s Saints jerseys had. Oddly, though, I can't find a photo from that era that has a "9" similar to the retail version, even though the "3" in the SI cover looks like it's from the same font as the retail "9."

FF_2524667_xl.jpg

b9a3cec0fb3178e28162bbf3357f1380.jpg

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That extra-serifed face was the stock font for Southland.  I don't know if that's where the Saints got their jerseys

Answering my own question, it appears that they did.  Here's a Jim Taylor gamer:

20149b_lg.jpeg

Here's the tag:

20149d_lg.jpeg

This particular one has a more standard athletic block, but the Saints went through a lot of variations in the early days.  Sometimes even at the same time:

Jim%2BTaylor%2B1.jpg

So if they were buying from Southland, it would explain why they sometimes used the Southland stock font, with its extra serifs. 

I'd love to see a team bring this back, either the Saints or the Cowboys.  They could own a custom team font that also has historical relevance.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I

This particular one has a more standard athletic block, but the Saints went through a lot of variations in the early days.  Sometimes even at the same time:

Jim%2BTaylor%2B1.jpg

So if they were buying from Southland, it would explain why they sometimes used the Southland stock font, with its extra serifs. 

I'd love to see a team bring this back, either the Saints or the Cowboys.  They could own a custom team font that also has historical relevance.

If you've posted this one before, I don't think I realized the Golden Boy was sitting on the bench!

It's where I sit.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:49 AM, bowld said:

I bought a limited Ravens Jersey that will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Will post pics once in hand

I'd like to know hot the fit of the new legend and limited jerseys are. 

When the new Nike replica's came out I opted for a Pro Line option as it fit my shoulders better. 

If the Legend jersey at $80 fits me well, it may be my Winston jersey. 

Also curious, wouldn't the sublimated designs last longer?

Pretty cool, isn't it?  Is that Sir Saint on his shirt?

Hornung was taken by the Saints in the expansion draft in March of 1967, and retired about ten days later.  So he must have been visiting New Orleans as a guest, maybe to see his old pal Taylor.   And I'm pretty confident that is New Orleans, not only because of the gold in the stands but also because that's New Orleans trumpet legend (and Saints minority owner) Al Hirt behind them.

So, with the possible exception of different socks, the CR until uniform for the 49ers is basically a previously existing set. Does this mean they can only wear the all-black in a designated Color Rush/TNF game now?

(Same question would apply for the Eagles and a couple other teams, obviously.)

2 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

I believe the CR game doesn't factor into the 2 alts rule. We'll see 

Last year it didn't. For example #1 the Rams wore their throwbacks twice and had their Color Rush game in St Louis in week 15. Example #2, the Panthers wore their light blue alternates (with silver pants) in Jacksonville and Tampa--along with their Color Rush game in Dallas on Thanksgiving.

On 9/19/2016 at 9:55 AM, Gothamite said:

That extra-serifed face was the stock font for Southland.  I don't know if that's where the Saints got their jerseys, but the the Cowboys did in the 1960s and 1970s.

gent_mastini_foto2.jpg

1b192125edd9ecc23e2c2b08aa03488f.jpg

interesting stuff. the Colts also used in in their Baltimore days (which this years CR features) and the Eagles had it for a time as well

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Packers did too, in the early 1960s. 

1962_GreenBayPackers.jpg

I wonder if all those teams bought their jerseys from Southland as well. 

The numbers are definitely different. Look at the 2's and 6's. The intent may have been say but most likely they were made by Ripon or whomever was based in that area in the 1960's. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived