Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So here's my latest conspiracy theory - I noticed while watching the game on my phone that the Color Rush uniforms do make the teams stand out from each other at extremely small sizes.  

ColorRush_iPhone_small.jpg

Much easier to tell the Bills and Jets apart than if the Bills had been wearing white pants, for example.

Definitely a boon to those watching on phones, and this is the year that all TNF games are being streamed on Twitter.  

Coincidence?

Yeah, My friends and I were watching it on our phones and saying the same just about how much more of a noticeable pop Buffalo had as compared to NYJ.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, hawk36 said:

NO! They tried this once and it was met with nearly unanimous disapproval. White pants, maybe, but navy... please no.

The problem with the last time they tried it was:

A) The way the sunlight shined off of reeboks shiny material which made the color look bad. It actually look great normally.

B ) Slate blue helmets with navy blue pants didn't match.

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Jets green looks like the color it's supposed to look like under the lights. It's the daylight when it has problems. 

I noticed that too. I just wish they could change to Kelly green :( the Hunter/Burlap (as perfectly coined earlier in the thread) is just awful. 

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The NFL is permitting teams to use only current or historical logos. The Jets logo wasn't a real logo they had in their set so I'm assuming it wasn't allowed. If they were to do it, they would've had to use the one pictured below:

lcetxlxev3xd2tt3n3gy5xh3d.gif

2 hours ago, JQK said:

It was their 1964 helmet logo.

1964_b10.jpg

Here's a better look at the logo itself, as well as the angle at which they wore it:

joe-namath-1964-new-york-jets-helmet-log

But yeah, we had that leak featuring a white decal.  I'd love to hear more about that story.

CqMYatBUIAAjH-N.jpg

14 hours ago, daveindc said:

I think people were only shocked at the lime green jersey back then because the color wasn't quite as prominent on the uniform and fan apparel as it is now. I don't think it'll be a big deal. They're wearing all lime color rush jerseys this year, and feedback has been mostly positive (as far as color rush jerseys go).

2006_3_1.jpg?itok=U90UWRCH&timestamp=145

b9w5143worked.jpg

No, it was just ugly.

seahawks41.jpg

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Here's a better look at the logo itself, as well as the angle at which they wore it:

joe-namath-1964-new-york-jets-helmet-log

But yeah, we had that leak featuring a white decal.  I'd love to hear more about that story.

CqMYatBUIAAjH-N.jpg

Isn't it the same logo they have now just in different colors? Technically they did change the decal last year by making it kelly and chrome. Makes me wonder why they couldn't wear it. Also, Jets have a whiteout scheduled against the Seahawks...any chance they wear the white facemask or white logo then? I highly doubt it but it is a possibility. Wouldn't be surprised to see stripeless white socks either. Bringing up a question of if you can use color rush pants in other scenarios...is it any different for the titans to use their light blue pants on the road as it would be for the ravens with the new purples?

24 minutes ago, sisdog said:

No, it was just ugly.

seahawks41.jpg

The problem IMO here is that the helmet was the lighter blue, while the jersey and pants used the darker navy blue. Combined with the white numbers and this version was a fiasco. I think the Color Rush version was done better, and I wouldn't mind seeing it replace the greys in the future. 

Maybe unpopular opinion, but the Jets looked much better in a white facemask, and the socks needed stripes. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

11 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The white numbers and the Reebok quasi-sleeve caps (with tiny sleeve logos) didn't help.  I'm a fan of the Color Rush version.

Just wish they would have done something else with pants and socks, but "Color Rush".

11 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

Isn't it the same logo they have now just in different colors? Technically they did change the decal last year by making it kelly and chrome. Makes me wonder why they couldn't wear it. Also, Jets have a whiteout scheduled against the Seahawks...any chance they wear the white facemask or white logo then? I highly doubt it but it is a possibility. Wouldn't be surprised to see stripeless white socks either. Bringing up a question of if you can use color rush pants in other scenarios...is it any different for the titans to use their light blue pants on the road as it would be for the ravens with the new purples?

Logically there shouldn't be, But it gives the Ravens a total of 4 pants now, I don't think there is a limit on pants like there are jerseys unless there is because color rush isn't suppose to count.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Serious question, not trying to sound rude. Has the colorblindness issue come up before? And does the NFL feel obligated to accommodate that? I've never heard complaints for college football, international soccer, or even the NBA (especially when this happened):

Image result for knicks hawks orange red

What I mean to say is, it doesn't seem to be an issue with leagues other than the NFL.

23 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Serious question, not trying to sound rude. Has the colorblindness issue come up before? And does the NFL feel obligated to accommodate that? I've never heard complaints for college football, international soccer, or even the NBA (especially when this happened):Image result for knicks hawks orange red

What I mean to say is, it doesn't seem to be an issue with leagues other than the NFL.

Pretty sure that there were indeed many complaints when that happened.  In fact, the NBA changed its rules afterwards to make sure it never happened again.

The NFL doesn't usually allow color-on-color games, so it never came up before with them.  I'm not aware how leagues overseas take into account red/green color blindness when deciding what teams can wear; the Premier League is the only one I follow, and they have a dearth of green teams.

As for whether the NFL should care about it, estimates are that 8% of men suffer from this particular version of colorblindness.  You tell me if that's statistically significant enough for the NFL to accommodate.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Pretty sure that there were indeed many complaints when that happened.  

The NFL doesn't usually allow color-on-color games, so it never came up before with them.  I'm not aware how leagues overseas take into account red/green color blindness when deciding what teams can wear; the Premier League is the only one I follow, and they have a dearth of green teams.

As for whether the NFL should care about it, estimates are that 8% of men suffer from this particular version of colorblindness.  You tell me if that's statistically worth caring about.

It also was a big deal in the bills v. jets color rush game last year. It was all over twitter and any major sports news outlet about how it was virtually impossible to tell the teams apart for color blind people, especially with them both having white helmets also, I think if one of the elements was different you wouldn't have had a problem, and that's probably why other league haven't had that problem yet. I remember seeing a gif of what it would have looked like watching the game if you were colorblind and it was very hard to tell, you had to search for the little bit of blue that blended in with the rest of the green when moving on the bills uniform to tell the difference.

"color blind" doesn't literally mean that you see in b&w, right?  It just means that there's certrain colors that you can't differentiate (green and red usually) - right?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Some people are totally colorblind, but that is pretty rare from what I understand.  Much more common is partial colorblindness, where the eye cannot distinguish between specific colors.  Of that, red/green colorblindness is by far the most common.

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

It also was a big deal in the bills v. jets color rush game last year. It was all over twitter and any major sports news outlet about how it was virtually impossible to tell the teams apart for color blind people, especially with them both having white helmets also, I think if one of the elements was different you wouldn't have had a problem, and that's probably why other league haven't had that problem yet. I remember seeing a gif of what it would have looked like watching the game if you were colorblind and it was very hard to tell, you had to search for the little bit of blue that blended in with the rest of the green when moving on the bills uniform to tell the difference.

Yeah, this is what it looked like:

As for other leagues, I still don't know where this would have come up.  The NCAA banned color-on-color for a long time, didn't it?  That's why USC and UCLA had to take a penalty when they did it.  Even now, I'm not sure that the NCAA would allow green against red.

So this isn't a case of the NFL being overly sensitive, but perhaps facing a situation that nobody had allowed to happen before.

So then would all-green vs all-blue actually look more distinguishable to a color blind person than a color-sensitive person?  I dont' know much about color blindness (obviously), so I'd be interested to see how different matchups appear (example - orange is a mix of red and yellow - assuming they can make out yellow, would orange be noticeably lighter (or yellower) than red to them?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, I'm far from an expert on the subject, and maybe somebody else here can speak with more authority.  But my understanding is that red/green colorblind people perceive both colors as a sort of olive shade, which would make sense in the context of that video.

red-green-normal-vision.png

This is how non-color blind people see green & red

red-green-colorblind-vision.png

This is how color blind people see green & red

So I'm not sure that a R/G colorblind person would be able to more easily distinguish all-green versus all-blue.  To them, it would be all-olive versus all-blue, which doesn't seem to be a whole lot better.

Interestingly, the next most common (but much less common) kind of colorblindness is blue/yellow.  Would that impact a potential Chargers/Rams or Bears/Rams color rush matchup?  I don't know.

Archived