2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Reports stating the Las Vegas team will be called the "Knights".  

Thank. God. 

3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Knights is much better than Black Knights. Less collegiate sounding. Still not great though.

I think the biggest benefit of Knights is that it sounds the same as nights, which opens up a lot of great design possibilities.

It seems like a forgone conclusion that black will be one of the primary colors, and I could easily see some kind of moon and stars motif incorporated into the design as well. Hell..make the mascot a bat-knight and see how close you can get to a WB/DC lawsuit. 

This news please me. I've been waiting a long time for someone to use Knights in North American Big sports. When the Nets moved to Brooklyn I wanted them to change to Brooklyn Knights because then they'd be Brooklynites. 

It's a good nickname and opens up a lot of design possibilities, even if it's a bit generic and has very little to do with the city.

I'm hearing they weren't allowed to use Black Knights because the corporate tie-in with Foley's company would've been just a straight up sponsorship. Thank god the league actually had the smarts to say no to that. Bullet dodged. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

25 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Knights is better than Black Knights for sure. But it's too thematically similar to the Kings, and they're practically next door to each other. You may as well stick a team in Cleveland and call them the Coats.

I'm more concerned about the (seemingly inevitable) black/gold/silver/white color scheme. Between LA, LV, and Anaheim you'll have three teams all sharing more-or-less the same color palette.

Knights and Bulldogs are probably the most popular nicknames that aren't used in professional sports. The fact that not one team in the four major sports hasn't used the Knights moniker or something similar to a knight is suprising.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

This news please me. I've been waiting a long time for someone to use Knights in North American Big sports. When the Nets moved to Brooklyn I wanted them to change to Brooklyn Knights because then they'd be Brooklynites. 

It's a good nickname and opens up a lot of design possibilities, even if it's a bit generic and has very little to do with the city.

I'm hearing they weren't allowed to use Black Knights because the corporate tie-in with Foley's company would've been just a straight up sponsorship. Thank god the league actually had the smarts to say no to that. Bullet dodged. 

What's more likely is that they can't get the trademark from the U.S. Government to use Army's moniker. 

7 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

What's more likely is that they can't get the trademark from the U.S. Government to use Army's moniker. 

Black Knights isn't a stand-alone trademark.   Well, :censored:, apparently it is. Army Branding

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

I'm more concerned about the (seemingly inevitable) black/gold/silver/white color scheme. Between LA, LV, and Anaheim you'll have three teams all sharing more-or-less the same color palette.

This is why I'm hoping Adidas or someone is pushing for the team owning a color like purple. If the Kings wanna be dress-up Raiders, that's cool. Let them. Swoop in and go purple. Foley claims he wants to create an iconic world-wide brand with a recognizable palette, etc. This is what gives me hope for maybe something closer to the Vikings color scheme. How about Purple/yellow/black? It'd be unique for the league.

Or let them "own" silver or something. 

But i agree with you: To have another team in the PACIFIC division with such a muted, dark color scheme would be unfortunate. 

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

Knights is better than Black Knights for sure. But it's too thematically similar to the Kings, and they're practically next door to each other. You may as well stick a team in Cleveland and call them the Coats.

I'm not sure Kings and Knights are as close as Blue Jackets and Coats (lol).  

I'd want to avoid knights because of their subservience to kings... but then again, there are a lot of livestock teams/logos in the same league as the cowboys... so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

43 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Knights is just so uninspired and generic. It's why it's used so much in movies. 

So many cool directions you could go in LV and they're going to pull a "Charlotte Bobcats" on us. 

Somewhat agree with this.

"Knights" wouldn't be bad, but "Aces" for Las Vegas is so much better.

Give it an aviation aces spin (Nevada is the military air base capital of the U.S.) and it's a perfect hockey team name...speed, skill, flying down the wings, shooting for twine...

also gives a sly nod to the gaming history of the city which should not be totally ignored.

If you haven't been over to the concepts section, I suggested something like this...

sparky, that LVK+hockey stick secondary logo is pretty brilliant.   The jerseys on the bottom concept are pretty good, but in an age of minimal design, the castle accents probably wouldn't be included.  It would probably be just three sleeve stripes.   And I think you can take off the "Las" on the alternate.

45 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

sparky, that LVK+hockey stick secondary logo is pretty brilliant.   The jerseys on the bottom concept are pretty good, but in an age of minimal design, the castle accents probably wouldn't be included.  It would probably be just three sleeve stripes.   And I think you can take off the "Las" on the alternate.

Thanks W...You're right.

Maybe something like this would be a little cleaner...

knights%2004.jpg

Oh goody, another army themed team, inspired by west point...  I'll try and contain my excitement.  By 2020 the entire league will be dressed in head-to-toe camo, with military badges in place of logos.  So many interesting options for a Las Vegas team and they copy the Panthers, Jets and Ducks.  If their identity ends up passable it'll be a miracle.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

Oh goody, another army themed team, inspired by west point...  I'll try and contain my excitement.  By 2020 the entire league will be dressed in head-to-toe camo, with military badges in place of logos.  So many interesting options for a Las Vegas team and they copy the Panthers, Jets and Ducks.  If their identity ends up passable it'll be a miracle.

Ducks?

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Archived