2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

I think the banners are complete. There's something hiding the view.

I don't understand why conference championship banners are bigger and brighter than Stanley Cup banners...

You're right, my bad.  One thing I like about the new banners is how they made the gold metallic so it matches the uniforms.  Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the previous banners used a matte gold.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

I don't understand why conference championship banners are bigger and brighter than Stanley Cup banners...

likely because it is the current franchise, rather than the original sens

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

14 hours ago, SoxSteeler said:

New center ice logo at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex. I'm guessing this or some variation will make it's way onto the uniforms. 13606556_10154928525853765_3313105924392

Forget the source, but it's going to be a patch on both jerseys this year.

16 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

It's just the angle of this particular photo. The Cup banners are hanging near the opposite end of the ice, so they're further away (you can see a Cup banner hidden behind the Presidents Trophy one). 

I guess they they must be putting the finishing touches on the division champ banners. I'm sure they'll also use a logo that the team never won a division wearing. Smh 

7 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Meh, only because they are new.  In a year or so you wouldn't even notice them. 

Doubt it. I hate how they dominate soccer uniforms and I seem to be the only person who cares about their intrusiveness in that sport. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Doubt it. I hate how [advertisements] dominate soccer uniforms and I seem to be the only person who cares about their intrusiveness in that sport. 

I hate it, too.  There is no way that I would ever wear a soccer shirt with an ad.  In fact, when NYCFC debuted, someone I know bought me a t-shirt version of the home jersey, complete with the ad.  I had to ask for the receipt so that I could exchange it for a t-shirt that had only the team logo on it.  Asking for that receipt was a little awkward; but it was worth doing.

But once in a while you can find a practice jersey that has no ad on it.  Those I will wear.

me-chelsea.jpg 

But it's a shame that the aesthetics of the sport which has become my favourite are completely ruined, as every club's shirt is marred by advertisements.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I think he was talking about the Adidas stripes, not sponsor ads.

Which I hate too, although fortunately the new templates make the stripes much less obtrusive.

Sporting_KC_Rapids_Soccer-1020x739.jpg

But as for practice jerseys, NYCFC has a sponsor on their on-field jerseys, but the retail versions don't include the ad.  If you want one with New York-Presbyterian's logo, you can only get those at Yankee Stadium.  Which also has the plain versions for sale.

As for the NHL, we'll see what Adidas has in store for the jerseys.  I'd rather not have the three stripes at all, but I'm hardly confident in Bettman's ability to say no to them.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

I think he was talking about the Adidas stripes, not sponsor ads.

Oops!  Sorry for not paying sufficient attention there.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

But as for practice jerseys, NYCFC has a sponsor on their on-field jerseys, but the retail versions don't include the ad.

David-Villa-NYCFC-LA-Galaxy-Warm-Up--620  pDSP1-23541148p275w.jpg

If you want one with New York-Presbyterian's logo, you can only get those at Yankee Stadium.  Which also has the plain versions for sale.

Wow, I wish that all teams offered for sale a version of their shirt (both practice and game) without the ad.  But what a twisted world we live in; there certainly are fans who would prefer the version with the ad, which is profoundly sad. Despite the invalidity of most "these kids today"-type arguments, the casual acceptance of a giant ad (bigger than the team logo!) marring a team's jersey is indisputable proof of declining standards.

Just now, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I wish that all teams offered for sale a version of their shirt (both practice and game) without the ad.  But what a twisted world we live in; there certainly are fans who would prefer the version with the ad, which is profoundly sad. Despite the invalidity of most "these kids today"-type arguments, the casual acceptance of a giant ad (bigger than the team logo!) marring a team's jersey is indisputable proof of declining standards.

From conversations I've had with team staff, not that many of them.

Just now, Gothamite said:
1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I wish that all teams offered for sale a version of their shirt (both practice and game) without the ad.  But what a twisted world we live in; there certainly are fans who would prefer the version with the ad, which is profoundly sad. Despite the invalidity of most "these kids today"-type arguments, the casual acceptance of a giant ad (bigger than the team logo!) marring a team's jersey is indisputable proof of declining standards.

From conversations I've had with team staff, not that many of them.

NYCFC fans, holding the line against declining standards!  Very nice!

I don't expect to see the adidas stripes on regular NHL jerseys and will at most be on the practice sweaters. The NBA's run without a single team adopting the tri-stripe outside of all-star games and warmup shirts fills me with some confidence that adidas knows better than to slap their signature thing on an NHL team. 

But I still don't like it on the WCH jerseys. It's the ultimate example of logo creep. It's so bad and visible I didn't even notice the SAP ad on the shoulder until the second game I watched in this tournament. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The only reason why anyone wants the soccer jersey (or any jersey) to have the ad is because they want it to be as close to what is worn on the field as possible. You can hate ads, but still want the "authentic" version.

No one is buying a jersey with an ad just because they love Chevrolet or XBox or Bimbo Bread so much that they want to show their support and advertise for them.

9 hours ago, VikWings said:

The only reason why anyone wants the soccer jersey (or any jersey) to have the ad is because they want it to be as close to what is worn on the field as possible. You can hate ads, but still want the "authentic" version.

No one is buying a jersey with an ad just because they love Chevrolet or XBox or Bimbo Bread so much that they want to show their support and advertise for them.

Ansolutely spot on. I myself hate the idea of the NHL adopting ads. If they did, I would become more selective and buy fewer jerseys, maybe even a few without the logo, but I would want the ones I wear to the games to be as close to the on-ice version as possible.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Nashville continues to slowly add more yellow gold into their set by wearing their yellow gold helmets at home full time. Say what you want about the look, but this team clearly knows their brand. They've joined the Flyers & Sharks as teams that completely own their respective colours.

Archived