2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'll post here & not gen sports, yet the NHL tinkering with tech at the WC seems to include some sort of new fangled board work.

The boards at the ACC have different banners/ads/messaging in between whistles.  There's sometimes the usual scattering of ads, & other times, often, full ringed Air Canada wordmark ads ('Team Canada flies AC') which looks nice with large old school white boards spacing sans clutter.

My eye sees some green tint to them, or I could be high, which would enable digital variety of messaging.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

19 hours ago, Morgo said:

Just came across something really interesting.  Here is a look at the Minnesota Wild identity including numerous preliminary logos and uniform designs.  While some of the proposed icons look great the majority of uniform options look absolutely atrocious.  We're talking "Wild-Wing" levels of gaudiness.  You can also see an animation that shows various early versions of what many consider to be the NHL's best logo.  Definitely worth checking out.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/42321255/Minnesota-Wild-Identity

Igk4CQV.jpg

Seems like those logos influenced other logos.  The wings on the Atlanta Hawks' alternate logo are pretty similar to bottom left.  Middle left looks familiar too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm pretty impressed with how they look in motion. You don't notice the chest stripe terminating because the players usually have their arms down and the arm stripes serve as the continuation of the chest stripe while keeping the back numbers nice and legible. They still look like the Panthers inasmuch as they're in navy helmets and pants with red sweaters and socks. I still have gripes with the logos, but as a whole in action, these are good.

You know what's not good? Yellow buckets on the Perds. They look like a house league team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I guess I'll post here & not gen sports, yet the NHL tinkering with tech at the WC seems to include some sort of new fangled board work.

The boards at the ACC have different banners/ads/messaging in between whistles.  There's sometimes the usual scattering of ads, & other times, often, full ringed Air Canada wordmark ads ('Team Canada flies AC') which looks nice with large old school white boards spacing sans clutter.

My eye sees some green tint to them, or I could be high, which would enable digital variety of messaging.  

Oh no...I sure hope this isn't the case. Every time I see soccer, I lament the ongoing ad blitz that happens on the far end of the field. It's so distracting and annoying, and yet fans of the sport don't even notice. Even if it only starts during breaks, I REALLY hope it never happens in the NHL, because it's hard enough for casual fans to watch the games now, they'll cut off growing the fanbase entirely with distracting ads.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

8 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

That is a beautiful match-up. I mean the uniforms aren't perfect, but red vs gold is so good!

I agree. The new Panthers uniforms look outstanding! They are now the better looking team from the State of Florida.

SME Branding did a lot of pro sports identities in the late '90's and early 2000's. Once trends changed and cleaner more simplistic identities became the norm, their workload shifted to other areas, specifically athletic associations. They had a great run but it's refreshing to see more iconic driven solutions in pro sports. 

1 hour ago, B-mer said:

Panthers look good in action. 

There are highlights of the Leafs from the rookie tournament games on NHL.com as well and those were looking great. 

The Leafs look is really growing on me... They look fantastic in game!

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, hockey week said:

Oh no...I sure hope this isn't the case. Every time I see soccer, I lament the ongoing ad blitz that happens on the far end of the field. It's so distracting and annoying, and yet fans of the sport don't even notice. Even if it only starts during breaks, I REALLY hope it never happens in the NHL, because it's hard enough for casual fans to watch the games now, they'll cut off growing the fanbase entirely with distracting ads.

Oddly, it was the off white which first drew me.  I noticed the different ads after the fact.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

6 hours ago, hockey week said:

This could just be me that thinks this. But I highly doubt ads will keep new people from watching games. If anything  it might keep them around thinking that is just the way it is. They probably have an idea that ads are on the boards already, and it isn't like they aren't already bombarded with ads on a daily basis (over 2000 ads per day for the average person). It will annoy us nerds for awhile but like anything we will eventually accept it. 

Even as a Canadiens fan, I find that there are enough distinctions between these and the Habs uniforms to easily tell each team apart, despite both teams having red jerseys/blue shells and the same stripe across the chest. The chest stripes are each colored and stylised differently, the backs are not the same, and it's not the same blue.

Here's an additional pic for some side-by-side comparisson...

image.png

image.jpg

They did follow in Tampa's footsteps by "borrowing" elements from my Habs, the other most historic franchise. But I admit that their final product they manufactured looks nice and they added a few pieces of their own. I have to give credit where credit's due because they could have put out something else that would have received a much more negative reaction.

Their choice of going with football numbers, aka shoulder numbers, is questionable. But Florida does scream football to me more than hockey, so it in way they're not that out of place, after all. Come to think about it, the designers probably specialize in football design, when also considering the Panthers new primary logo was clearly inspired by their interstate NFL team.

Archived