2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Nashville continues to slowly add more yellow gold into their set by wearing their yellow gold helmets at home full time. Say what you want about the look, but this team clearly knows their brand. They've joined the Flyers & Sharks as teams that completely own their respective colours.

just wish they would drop that dumb stripe on their pants.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I like those yellow helmets. Good move by Nashville.

I think this belongs in the unpopular opinions category.

All joking aside, I really dislike the gold helmets. They've actually been recieved pretty well by the majority of Preds fans, though, so the move makes sense.

This is a classic example of something hated/laughed at by the sports world, at large, but that the team's fans actually really like. Ultimately, resonating with the fanbase should trump general aesthetics.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

12 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Nashville continues to slowly add more yellow gold into their set by wearing their yellow gold helmets at home full time. Say what you want about the look, but this team clearly knows their brand. They've joined the Flyers & Sharks as teams that completely own their respective colours.

Nooooo... I hate the gold helmets. The blue was so much of a better colour balance. This ruins the entire set IMO.

These photos really show that off.

508801226_slide.jpg 508468620_slide.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

It makes the look more unique to the league and isn't tooooo garish (just 3 'o' too) so I'm in favor. 

This yellow hasn't been a standard production color before last year so I'm impressed how well Josi's and Weber's helmets match despite being from two different companies, a Bauer and a CCM respectively. 

With few exceptions (the Coyotes, the Rangers and Blue Jackets), pants and helmets should match on coloured jerseys. Simple as that. 

Helmets match jerseys but not pants (6): Rangers home and alternate, Blue Jackets home, Coyotes home, Capitals alternate, now Predators home

Helmets match pants, not jerseys (17): Ducks alternate, Flames home and alternate, Blackhawks home, Avalanche home, Stars home, Oilers Alternate, Panthers home, Wild home, Canadiens home, Devils home, Senators home, Flyers home and alternate, Blues home, Sharks home, Capitals home

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2 hours ago, charger77 said:

Maybe this will lead to the Preadators fixing their jerseys problems (bettman piping and the excessive blue at the bottom)?

I don't mind the blue at the bottom. It blends into the pants, and negates the scoop hem effect. 

And while the piping isn't perfect, I don't think getting rid of it would make the jerseys that much better. Not only would it look far too plain, you'd also have a floating blue blob under the collars at the back. 

Saying that yellow helmets shouldn't be worn with a yellow base is like saying white helmets shouldn't be worn with a white base. 

Great move by the Predators. I just hope the NHL goes back to wearing light colours at home...even for half of the season like in the WHL. Red Wings red or even Stars green vs Predators yellow would be great to see. 

...Saying that yellow helmets shouldn't be worn with a yellow base is like saying white helmets shouldn't be worn with a white base. 

Ummm... well the Blackhawks have red home jerseys with BLACK helmets... and that's worked out okay for them... 

And ummm... well the Canadiens have red home jerseys with BLUE helmets... and that's worked out okay for them... 

And ummm... well the Sharks have teal home jerseys with BLACK helmets... and that's worked out okay for them...

And ummm... well the Flyers have orangel home jerseys with BLACK helmets... and that's worked out okay for them...

Should I go on... your point is based on an opinion but NOT a hard and fast rule... in fact contrasting helmets are in many cases a better visual solution like in my opinion the navy blue helmet for the Preds...

21 minutes ago, NeverSayNever said:

...Saying that yellow helmets shouldn't be worn with a yellow base is like saying white helmets shouldn't be worn with a white base. 

Ummm... well the Blackhawks have red home jerseys with BLACK helmets... and that's worked out okay for them... 

And ummm... well the Canadiens have red home jerseys with BLUE helmets... and that's worked out okay for them... 

And ummm... well the Sharks have teal home jerseys with BLACK helmets... and that's worked out okay for them...

And ummm... well the Flyers have orangel home jerseys with BLACK helmets... and that's worked out okay for them...

Should I go on... your point is based on an opinion but NOT a hard and fast rule... in fact contrasting helmets are in many cases a better visual solution like in my opinion the navy blue helmet for the Preds...

All those examples you gave are based on actual dark coloured uniforms. Yellow is a light colour like the traditional white and it should be worn in the same fashion as white. Back in the 70's and 80's, yellow was worn at home(Kings, Golden Seals, Canucks, '83-'84 Penguins) while the rest of the teams wore white. 

So, if you prefer navy blue helmets on a non-matching jersey, there's always the Blues, Capitals and Panthers. ;)

Today, the Flyers, Ducks, Sharks, Stars could easily flip their home jerseys to road jerseys and default to black as their home jersey... Easily... 

My point is that the Preds yellow helmets are just not as attractive IMO as their darker team primary colour. Not a right or wrong answer just a matter of style. :)

17 minutes ago, NeverSayNever said:

Today, the Flyers, Ducks, Sharks, Stars could easily flip their home jerseys to road jerseys and default to black as their home jersey... Easily... 

My point is that the Preds yellow helmets are just not as attractive IMO as their darker team primary colour. Not a right or wrong answer just a matter of style. :)

Solution: Navy blue uniforms at home, yellow uniforms on the road and at home on weekends. Done. :D

I'd like to see the Charlotte Hornets get away with wearing teal for all road games and as many home games as possible where there's enough contrast (versus red, black, navy, which probably accounts for most of the NBA).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, worcat said:

I don't dislike the yellow  gold helmets but the navy looked better

Worlds better.  They provided a perfect colour balance and I don't know why they were ever messed with.  The same goes for the asinine decision the reverse the navy and yellow on the road socks, in spite of the fact that they don't match the colour configuration of the rest of the uniform.

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'd like to see the Charlotte Hornets get away with wearing teal for all road games and as many home games as possible where there's enough contrast (versus red, black, navy, which probably accounts for most of the NBA).

Pardon the intrusion, but this is the NHL thread... :P

Also, I hate the gold lids, because it really throws off the color balance. The gold stripe on the pants doesn't affect the road as much as the home, but it's still more tolerable than these ugly gold lids. Maybe if the Preds had a blue shoulder yoke, I could get behind it. 

Kinda like the Kings in the 80's

Kings13.png 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived