2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone posted a concept here once that mixed both eras. It, like the San Diego Chargers, looked bad and would alienate all camps. 

Everything they're going to do could be accomplished with an alternate jersey in a year when the league brings them back. No need whatsoever to tear down a brand like theirs. I mean, it was in the Finals as recently as 2012. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

IMO the Devils have become "honorary O6".  They've been so consistent and classic, and they survived the abrupt cutover to black by limiting it and not going with unnecessary black alts.  Is Lamarillo (sp) still in charge?  I thought his whole thing was to be classic like MTL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

IMO the Devils have become "honorary O6".  They've been so consistent and classic, and they survived the abrupt cutover to black by limiting it and not going with unnecessary black alts.  Is Lamarillo (sp) still in charge?  I thought his whole thing was to be classic like MTL.

He's the GM of the Leafs now. It's all in the hands of the new management (76ers ownership).

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

He's the GM of the Leafs now. It's all in the hands of the new management (76ers ownership).

Totally forgot about that. Yeah they have some marketing partnerships too. Sorry Devils - it's all over. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not a fan of the Oilers going to orange over blue but it's not the end of the world. It may only last a few years for all we know? Maybe once Adidas starts making alternate uniforms, they will adopt a blue third jersey and fans won't mind the change.

However, if the Devils adopt a similar overhaul like the Panthers did and play dress up using another teams identity, then I'm just done. The Devils have a nice uniform set as is. If they subbed dark green instead of black, that'd be fine. It's a blend of both era's then. Then make a third Devils jersey that's the original green and red with a cream colored white. But instead, adidas will ruin it all.

Can they just fix Colorado and Calgary and leave everyone else alone?

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

3 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Honest question, as someone that doesn't watch basketball... How many NBA teams can you say currently wear their best ever identity?

Bulls minus superfluous alternates, Celtics minus superfluous alternates, Heat, Spurs, maybe the 76ers. For most of the league, the best I can say is "I probably wouldn't redesign these uniforms TOO much." It's real bad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

You could tell the Oilers were planning to use orange full-time, long before this announcement, just look at the seats in their new arena and how many times the uniform has been used for promotional purposes.

The seats at Rogers Place are black. You're probably thinking of opening night when most had an orange t-shirt on them.

As an Oilers fan I'm glad they are switching. I wasn't born until after the third Cup, so I don't remember much from the dynasty days. I associate the blue jerseys with the first playoff drought from 1993-96, the beginning of bad times in 2008 when it returned as an alternate, two spectacularly botched rebuilds, and putrid hockey from 2010 until last season. I do like the aways, however.

I see no reason to not have alternates for next season.  Last time around, it kinda made sense since so many teams actually came out with new designs.  This time around, I don't think there will be too many teams changing, outside the Devils.  That isn't to say some teams like Calgary, Colorado, and Ottawa shouldn't change.  

As for the Devils changing (they shouldn't), but I say we wait and see how it ends up before saying hell is freezing over.  Could end up pretty good.  That said, if they are complete crap, they can always go back like some teams pretty much did after the initial Edge roll out.  

I like the Oilers' orange uniforms, but they should stick to their regular blue jerseys.  At least they aren't going to channel the Baltimore Ravens again and come up with the crap that was the Edge makeover.

19 minutes ago, M4One said:

I see no reason to not have alternates for next season.  Last time around, it kinda made sense since so many teams actually came out with new designs.  This time around, I don't think there will be too many teams changing, outside the Devils.  That isn't to say some teams like Calgary, Colorado, and Ottawa shouldn't change.  

As for the Devils changing (they shouldn't), but I say we wait and see how it ends up before saying hell is freezing over.  Could end up pretty good.  That said, if they are complete crap, they can always go back like some teams pretty much did after the initial Edge roll out.  

I like the Oilers' orange uniforms, but they should stick to their regular blue jerseys.  At least they aren't going to channel the Baltimore Ravens again and come up with the crap that was the Edge makeover.

Umm what

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

7 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

The Oilers going to orange full-time. The Devils getting a complete uniform overhaul.

Adidas are already villifying themselves before a single jersey is unveiled.

Well...Just remember, not to come across as an adidas apologist, no one is forcing Devs to abandon their look or for Oilers to choose orange. Blame ownership groups in this instance. 

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Someone posted a concept here once that mixed both eras. It, like the San Diego Chargers, looked bad and would alienate all camps. 

Everything they're going to do could be accomplished with an alternate jersey in a year when the league brings them back. No need whatsoever to tear down a brand like theirs. I mean, it was in the Finals as recently as 2012. 

You're telling me a red jersey with alternating black, white, kelly green classic striping and red helmets would be bad?

In my head, that could look solid. I'm proposing nothing gaudy IMHO

54 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

You're telling me a red jersey with alternating black, white, kelly green classic striping and red helmets would be bad?

In my head, that could look solid. I'm proposing nothing gaudy IMHO

Yeah I think it would be bad. The concept I saw took the first Devils uniforms and plugged black into it above the green and it only served to make it worse. Squash green into their current template with black and now you've made that one worse. I used the Chargers as an example earlier because they tried to please everyone by using both light blue and navy blue and ultimately nobody was happy and they got a jumbled mess of a uniform.

The Devils would be best served by sticking to one or the other. If I were them I'd keep the uniforms as they are and wait until 2018-2019 when alternates are allowed and try to get wacky with a black alternate. You don't have to throw away an entire identity just to try something different. That's the beauty of alternates. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

The Oilers going to orange full-time. The Devils getting a complete uniform overhaul.

Adidas are already villifying themselves before a single jersey is unveiled.

That's just dumb.  They may have been responsible for the no 3rd jersey rule, but there's no way Edmonton was forced to change their jersey color, or New Jersey was forced to get an overhaul.

We go through this nonsense every time there's a supplier change.  The teams are responsible for their looks and brands.  If they allow Nike or whoever to change them, it's their choice.  BLAME THE TEAMS.

Archived