2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

And don't forget how Adidas has forced the three stripes on every All-Star uniform and all the warmup gear. Then there's the Rev30 template they forced on the league, which hurt the NBA's aesthetics in its own way by limiting the available collar designs, doing away with elements like Memphis' inline numbers and Atlanta's beveled numbers, and generally looking worse than the old matte and shiny fabrics.

Adidas has been butchering the NBA and college sports for years. The NHL will be no different. For as much flak as Nike takes on here, Adidas is unquestionably the worst major uniform manufacturer.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

And don't forget how Adidas has forced the three stripes on every All-Star uniform and all the warmup gear. Then there's the Rev30 template they forced on the league, which hurt the NBA's aesthetics in its own way by limiting the available collar designs, doing away with elements like Memphis' inline numbers and Atlanta's beveled numbers, and generally looking worse than the old matte and shiny fabrics.

Adidas has been butchering the NBA and college sports for years. The NHL will be no different. For as much flak as Nike takes on here, Adidas is unquestionably the worst major uniform manufacturer.

I'm not really counting that, as those are exhibition and practice. I really don't care if the three stripes are on NHL practice jerseys.  Template changes happen across all brands and affect collars and the like..

1 hour ago, dont care said:

"Pride uniforms", any type of speciallty uniform that isn't a throwback, GFGS, I can go on and on

Those are alternates.  Alternates have always been prone to whimsy.  See: Mavs' Reebok Trashbags or Mighty Ducks' Wildwings or their Nike vertical sleeves.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Of the four major leagues, the NBA is by far the most butchered right now, in terms of uniforms. Between the ever-increasing prevalence of sleeved uniforms, the awful "Pride Uniforms," the multitude of uniforms that aren't even in team colors (Bulls' grey and Cavs' black are the two most notorious offenders), the ugly cut of the uniforms, the Christmas jerseys, etc., the NBA has been a muddled, often ugly mess for years now. Every sport has some bad identities and its share of ugly alternates, but the other three leagues don't even come close to approaching the NBA with that.

And saying that classic franchises haven't been diverted off their basic looks? Perhaps that's mostly true with primary jerseys, but given the plethora of alternates in the NBA today (and how frequently they're trotted out), I would beg to differ:

Screen-shot-2015-11-16-at-10.03.00-PM.pn

steve-blake-lakers-black-jerseys.jpg

adidas-Celtics_Parquet_Pride__1__Bradley

usatsi_6878880.jpg

Those are just a few examples of Adidas jerseys that strayed painfully far from classic teams' looks.

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

Of the four major leagues, the NBA is by far the most butchered right now, in terms of uniforms. 

I think that goes to the NHL. They still haven't recovered from the dark ages of the Edge template. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Winnipeg's wearing their Heritage Classic 3rds tonight (and Calgary foolishly brought their primary home unis,) and the Jets forgot to add the Centennial patch to the sleeve. That's a paddlin'.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

38 minutes ago, Uglybus said:

I think that goes to the NHL. They still haven't recovered from the dark ages of the Edge template. 

Most of the egregious EDGE uniforms have been phased out. Only Calgary and Colorado haven't gotten the memo.

Honest question, as someone that doesn't watch basketball... How many NBA teams can you say currently wear their best ever identity?

There are a few NHL teams that can claim that, as teams move away from the original edge rollout. That means something, at least.

17 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Winnipeg's wearing their Heritage Classic 3rds tonight (and Calgary foolishly brought their primary home unis,) and the Jets forgot to add the Centennial patch to the sleeve. That's a paddlin'.

St. Louis left off the Centennial patch when they wore the Winter Classic jerseys on saturday against Dallas. It may be thing for teams to not use the 100 logo on specialty jerseys

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

12 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

Honest question, as someone that doesn't watch basketball... How many NBA teams can you say currently wear their best ever identity?

There are a few NHL teams that can claim that, as teams move away from the original edge rollout. That means something, at least.

The Hornets? You can make an argument for the Lakers if you ignore the alternate jerseys (which I don't believe you can do when looking at a holistic identity). The Warriors certainly look good, but I wouldn't say its their best identity ever.

Whatever it is, very, very few NBA teams are currently wearing their best identity ever. Even the few teams who have maintained one basic identity for decades (Bulls, Celtics, and Lakers) have had their identities chipped away at, with pointless and ugly alternates. And the fact that so few teams have one basic visual identity that has stood the test of time is also a huge contributing factor to the NBA's issues.

I was walking around the Rock as my wife's school jazz band performed before the game ...And I see a handmade last-minute sign that a guy holds, walking around the stadium.

Says "No new uniforms in New Jersey."

So there's that...Makes me rest easy being a Ranger fan.

1 minute ago, NYYNYR said:

I was walking around the Rock as my wife's school jazz band performed before the game ...And I see a handmade last-minute sign that a guy holds, walking around the stadium.

That guy missed a golden opportunity for a great pun:

"No new jerseys in New Jersey"

Just now, NYYNYR said:

If Devil fans are really 100% against new uniforms, they need to speak up now. 

XM4KeeA.png

I suppose the days of the Devils being a bastion of uniform-related sanity ended with Lou Lamoriello's exit.

Of course, the days of the Devils being a well-run, successful organization also might have ended with that, so as a Rangers fan, I can't complain.

Archived