2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

The parallels between the Islanders and Oilers are funny: Both had massive dynasties in the 80's, both wear royal blue and orange, both have been awful since the 80's, both strayed from their royal blue and orange to a navy blue variation for a while, both went back to their royal blue and orange. Now the Oilers are joining the Islanders in wearing throwbacks full-time that aren't exactly what the dynasty team wore, but are what the 1970's team wore before they became a dynasty. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The parallels between the Islanders and Oilers are funny: Both had massive dynasties in the 80's, both wear royal blue and orange, both have been awful since the 80's, both strayed from their royal blue and orange to a navy blue variation for a while, both went back to their royal blue and orange. Now the Oilers are joining the Islanders in wearing throwbacks full-time that aren't exactly what the dynasty team wore, but are what the 1970's team wore before they became a dynasty. 

both had pretty decent seasons when wearing the darker colors in the 2000's. 

XM4KeeA.png

12 hours ago, worcat said:

Umm what

From what I remember (and I could be wrong on this), when the Oilers came up with those glorified practice jerseys as their first edge jersey, then CEO Patrick LaForge, wanted something similar to the Baltimore Ravens.  All the way at the bottom of the article.  http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Columnists/Jones/2007/10/28/4612259-sun.html

8 minutes ago, eww7633 said:

And Ottawa. 

And Nashville.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

25 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

And Nashville.

Nashville simply need to make a couple of tweaks to their current set.  They need to get rid of the stripes down the sides, change the white socks back to how they originally were, and go back to the blue helmet with the gold uniforms.  I don't necessary mind the pant stripe, but I wouldn't mind them losing it either.  One thing I don't like about it is that is wider at the top.

13 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Calgary could just use there 3rd jersey as home, they dont need a fix

That's essentially what I meant by "Fix'. Just make a road and home version of the current third jerseys

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

5 hours ago, cmm said:

m5NGaTi.jpg

Just saw on NBCSN. Hopefully each division gets its own jersey this year.

Each Division had logos last season as well. I wouldn't count on it.

48531452016.gif48549332016.gif48561392016.gif48594842016.gif

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It's a complete no-brainer for each division to have a unique jersey that can match up against any of the other three, so the NHL might be able to get it right by the second try.  I'm pretty sure one of the teams last year had to switch jerseys to play in the final; it makes so much more sense for fans to be able to follow: "OK, now the purple team is playing the white team."  I'm hoping that they just came up with the format too late last year to be able to fully implement the idea.

8 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

It's a complete no-brainer for each division to have a unique jersey that can match up against any of the other three, so the NHL might be able to get it right by the second try.  I'm pretty sure one of the teams last year had to switch jerseys to play in the final; it makes so much more sense for fans to be able to follow: "OK, now the purple team is playing the white team."  I'm hoping that they just came up with the format too late last year to be able to fully implement the idea.

I have a feeling that's what happened last year; I remember hearing the rumors of the change only weeks before the announcement. Reebok probably already had the jerseys planned and made before the NHL changed the format, and Reebok didn't want to make any changes. I mean if you look, last year's logos have the same color per conference, this year is per division. What I am really wondering is what the idea was behind the black and gold the Atlantic division, since the Kings never wore those colors together.

3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Each Division had logos last season as well. I wouldn't count on it.

48531452016.gif48549332016.gif48561392016.gif48594842016.gif

True, but the East divisions were both red and the West were both blue. This time around each has its own color and instead of generic red and blue, each is in a current or former Kings color. I can see each division having a Kings-inspired jersey.

Archived