2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

My reaction to the Devils changing is every "noooo" and facepalm gif ever.

They currently have top 5 jerseys in the league that are almost impossible to improve on. So anything that they come up with, even if it's nice, will almost certainly be worse. And they better not touch the logo.

If it ain't broke, break it.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Calgary could just use there 3rd jersey as home, they dont need a fix

You say this a lot.

And I'm going to keep on liking it.  Flames, pre-black, are among the best looks ever. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just now, OnWis97 said:

You say this a lot.

And I'm going to keep on liking it.  Flames, pre-black, are among the best looks ever. 

Well maybe with me saying it alot will get the Flames to look at it and put as there new jersey. Flames do not need a remake they have jersey that could work, then have a white version of it 

hvmY186.png

Regarding the Devils, let me play (ugh; no pun intended) devil's advocate...

Teams don't just market and sell to people like us.  I don't follow merchandise sales but it it possible that a basic jersey, with a basic crest, basic stripes, basic block-ish numbers, and two basic (and quite common) colors is growing stale either to the team's fans or in terms of sale?  I have no insight into this and no idea whether it's true.  Most of this board thinks of the Devils as a "modern classic" and/or "untouchable."  And while I am a huge fan of the Christmas look, I generally appreciate their willingness to go with the old-school model of two jerseys, block numbers, and basic horizontal stripes. But as "modern classic" as they are, do most fans think of a team that some still remember playing as another team as "classic?"  Can the Devils maintain an image the way O6 teams do and get away with it?  These are just questions asked by someone who's not in the biz.  Maybe the answer is "yes, they can."  Maybe this overhaul would make the Pistons teal look smart by comparison.

By the way, I don't want to see an overhaul at all.  I think the logo is brilliant and the last thing they need to try to come up with something "mean-looking."  That would nearly certainly come off as "minor league."  But in this business, maybe the team feels that it's in a place where it needs to change?

When you think about the other recent league-wide manufacturer changes, they've always tried to make a "splash" of some kind.  Reebok did all sorts of terrible things when it took over the NHL (and I'd like to think that'll be learned from; I don't think most "normal" fans liked many changes).  But this could be a Nike NFL situation.  Nike took the Seahawks and made them the Nike billboard.  Any chance the Devils become the Adidas billboard?   This may entail keeping the logo but doing something "flashy" or "innovative."  Something that keeps the general identity (logo, colors) but scraps that part of the identity that this board loves (simplicity, consistency).  I don't think "normal" fans care too much about that.

If the Devils change back to their original look, they'll move from maybe around #10 for me to #1.  But I know that's not happening.  So ultimately, I hope I am correct and this rumor turns out to be untrue.  Because if it is true, the logo may stay, but the number font is going to be custom, there may be some silver or something, and the basic yoke/stripes look is in trouble.  Actually, I fear the logo could get drop-shadow treatment or something.  So while the green is my brass ring, if given the choice, I'd play it conservative and tell them to leave it alone.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

Well...Just remember, not to come across as an adidas apologist, no one is forcing Devs to abandon their look or for Oilers to choose orange. Blame ownership groups in this instance. 

Right. It is a fair point. I'm just wondering what motivated ownership to change now when they were always so strongly behind the idea of keeping their iconic jerseys as they are.

If a complete overhaul is in the works, this will become an Islanders fishsticks issue. Even if the update is good, the Devils have too much success in thesearch current uniforms. I suspect that they would change back. 

I don't have a problem with the Oilers changing things, they need their own look for the McDavid era, I can appreciate that, but I just don't like the orange jerseys. If they don't make a matching white I'll start cracking heads.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

6 hours ago, M4One said:

I see no reason to not have alternates for next season.  Last time around, it kinda made sense since so many teams actually came out with new designs.  This time around, I don't think there will be too many teams changing, outside the Devils.  That isn't to say some teams like Calgary, Colorado, and Ottawa shouldn't change.  

As for the Devils changing (they shouldn't), but I say we wait and see how it ends up before saying hell is freezing over.  Could end up pretty good.  That said, if they are complete crap, they can always go back like some teams pretty much did after the initial Edge roll out.  

I like the Oilers' orange uniforms, but they should stick to their regular blue jerseys.  At least they aren't going to channel the Baltimore Ravens again and come up with the crap that was the Edge makeover.

a7eeae038851851a2b0507cca1917b04.jpeg

sig.png

Inspired by today's UniWatch, I'll make predictions on the 17 teams that currently have alts (per the nhluniforms site)...

• Bye-bye alt: Rangers, Ducks, Burins, Flames (:mad:), Avs, Blue Jackets, Kings, Islanders, Sens, Flyers, Lightning, Canucks
  • Canes: Gun to my head, I think they stick with the primaries, but I could see them using the black alt and going a bit "Wild."
  • Oilers: I guess we know this
  • Wild: Green alt at home with the bear head logo on the shoulders
  • Sharks: I could see them going with the black for a year, but like with the Canes, I'll predict they stick with the primaries.
  • Caps: This is a tricky one and I am sure I've missed a rumor.  I am guessing they stick with the primary road and go with the alt red.  I hope not; having two such similar looks, one a modern version of the other, is worse than what the Wild is doing. But that's my guess.

POTD (Shared)

30 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

If a complete overhaul is in the works, this will become an Islanders fishsticks issue. Even if the update is good, the Devils have too much success in thesearch current uniforms. I suspect that they would change back. 

But the fishsticks wasn't "good," it was dumb.  This would be akin to the Devils replacing their current logo with this:

ce76ae89ff9f8d17df58391575d3ff72.jpg

For everyone confused by the Ravens comment, the Oilers management said they aspired for the Oilers to look as dark and monochrome as the Ravens. The team made the comparison... Not the poster.

14 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

But the fishsticks wasn't "good," it was dumb.  This would be akin to the Devils replacing their current logo with this:

ce76ae89ff9f8d17df58391575d3ff72.jpg

Then we'd be looking at a Vegas-like trademark issue ;)

4smwruhi3fi2egww2oe2cp1bc.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 11/27/2016 at 3:14 PM, philly97flyer said:

Probably one-sided in favor of the Flyers

image.png

Both franchises have much to be proud of, and I give credit to the Flyers for rapidly winning back to back Cups just several years removed from expansion. It was much more difficult building a winner for the Expansion Six teams than modern expansion. Flyers did have the benefit of strong, stable ownership from the get go, while the Pens went through different owners before the current group. In terms of franchise comparison, the postseason achievement is with the Pens, four Cups is very impressive in the overall NHL context. And while the Flyers own the better lifetime NHL regular season mark, the Pens have had more star power. People forget the Pens lost a very gifted player in Michel Briere back in the early 70s, and that was a big setback for the organization.

40 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Inspired by today's UniWatch, I'll make predictions on the 17 teams that currently have alts (per the nhluniforms site)...

• Bye-bye alt: Rangers, Ducks, Burins, Flames (:mad:), Avs, Blue Jackets, Kings, Islanders, Sens, Flyers, Lightning, Canucks

Out of all of those I would love to see Calgary (darker shade of red), Anaheim (D on front with no Disney duck), Columbus and Vancouver (with Johnny Canuck instead of Hockey stick on front) become full time homes.

The Catch of the Day!

57 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

• Canes: Gun to my head, I think they stick with the primaries, but I could see them using the black alt and going a bit "Wild."
  • Oilers: I guess we know this
  • Wild: Green alt at home with the bear head logo on the shoulders
  • Sharks: I could see them going with the black for a year, but like with the Canes, I'll predict they stick with the primaries.
  • Caps: This is a tricky one and I am sure I've missed a rumor.  I am guessing they stick with the primary road and go with the alt red.  I hope not; having two such similar looks, one a modern version of the other, is worse than what the Wild is doing. But that's my guess.

- I wouldn't mind the Lightning adding some black to their current home/roads, but if nothing changes I'm OK.  The blue will stay.

- I don't know why, but the Ducks give me a vibe that they'll go orange at home with either a change of their current alt with the D logo on front for 2017 or a new orange version of their current black home uni.

- I agree with the opinion above for the Wild.

- I've heard talk of the Caps going full throwback in 2017, but maybe some fauxback merger of eras (now and throwback eras) could work.

I'd be okay with Anaheim going orange at home if it weren't for the Oilers doing the same thing. Two orange-first teams in one division isn't great.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's just dumb.  They may have been responsible for the no 3rd jersey rule, but there's no way Edmonton was forced to change their jersey color, or New Jersey was forced to get an overhaul.

We go through this nonsense every time there's a supplier change.  The teams are responsible for their looks and brands.  If they allow Nike or whoever to change them, it's their choice.  BLAME THE TEAMS.

Thank you for, more eloquently, stating what I said above. Mozzah !!!

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Right. It is a fair point. I'm just wondering what motivated ownership to change now when they were always so strongly behind the idea of keeping their iconic jerseys as they are.

It's a new ownership group (no more Lou as well).... Should we chant "Delete!" ??? Hahaha

22 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

- I wouldn't mind the Lightning adding some black to their current home/roads, but if nothing changes I'm OK.  The blue will stay.

- I don't know why, but the Ducks give me a vibe that they'll go orange at home with either a change of their current alt with the D logo on front for 2017 or a new orange version of their current black home uni.

- I agree with the opinion above for the Wild.

- I've heard talk of the Caps going full throwback in 2017, but maybe some fauxback merger of eras (now and throwback eras) could work.

A guy, a few pages back, posted a link to a TSN ~ Vancouver radio show. I ended up listening for the instance he referenced, which appears like 50 minutes into the posted file, ha !  (it was a delightful listen anyway; they discuss steroid-era baseball players up for the HOF beforehand...)

But anyway, take a listen. After 50 or so minutes, they discuss how the Canucks' brand has really taken a hit. Attendance, along with other metrics, are down, and there is true momentum to dump the orca. They didn't say whether for the stick or the Canuck (seems to be more behind the Canuck)...but what I took out of that is: This is the perfect storm of the team being bad/ needing a new identity to usher in a change that many feel is long overdue (don't really have a horse in the race). 

Archived