College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

I think the old complaint of college football teams looking similar is kind of dumb. There are a relatively small number of colors in the visible spectrum, and 128 schools in D-1 CFB.  It stands to reason that a few are going to look very similar.  Personally, If I had to choose between a team looking good or looking unique, I'd go with good every time.  

When two teams are in the same conference like Nebraska and Wisconsin, I can see why there might be complaints from people who aren't fans of either team, but if I was a fan of one or the other, I wouldn't want a change. When I was young, Oklahoma and Arkansas basically wore the same uniform... OU is still wearing it.  But, Arkansas has tried lots of different looks... most of them very unique, but they've never looked as good as they did when they were identical to Oklahoma.

50466b3d68ad6dc3300b2ae1518fbbfb.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

image.png

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Someone needs to tell App State that accessories do not count in the overall number of combinations. Helmets, jerseys, and pants are ultimately all that count. Wrist bands, sweat bands, socks and shoes do not. Someone online argued this with me, comparing baseball's hats and stirrups count towards the total number, but that's a moot point to me, as a hat is part of the uniform, but stirrups only are if worn by the entire team, otherwise just an accessory. 

Also, I love how App State has the template view of the uniforms, helmets, socks and shoes, but "real" stock photos of everything else... 

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

When two teams are in the same conference like Nebraska and Wisconsin, I can see why there might be complaints from people who aren't fans of either team, but if I was a fan of one or the other, I wouldn't want a change. When I was young, Oklahoma and Arkansas basically wore the same uniform... OU is still wearing it.  But, Arkansas has tried lots of different looks... most of them very unique, but they've never looked as good as they did when they were identical to Oklahoma.

50466b3d68ad6dc3300b2ae1518fbbfb.jpg

Oklahoma actually got that look from Arkansas when they hired Jim Mackenzie from us in 1966 to be their head coach.  I really wish we had never strayed from it. I wouldn't mind at all if we decided to wear our throwback uniform from 2014 full time. 

I agree that teams can look similar and still look very good.. This example, for instance (and we'll throw in Alabama for good measure) is essentially the exact same uniform worn by all three teams.. Imo, Alabama and Oklahoma both wear "crimson", so they can use the same exact shade of red, but OU uses a metallic gloss crimson helmet, white facemask, no helmet stripe, chest wordmark (with sleeve tv numbers), and wider pants stripes.. Alabama has pain gloss helmet, grey masks, white helmet stripe, no chest wordmark (or tv numbers), and slightly narrower pants stripes.. Arkansas could easily come in with a slightly different shade ("cardinal" I believe), and mix/match elements between the two, to achieve a third unique combination, such as matte or satin cardinal helmet, white facemask, no helmet stripe, no chest wordmark (but shoulder tv numbers), with wider pants stripes - but spaced slightly closer... This creates very unique looks that are overall fairly different from one another..

Similar issue with Nebraska/Wisconsin..

My fix: Nebraska white helmet, red mask, single red helmet stripe, no chest wordmark, two thick sleeve stripes (similar to K-state), shoulder tv numbers, two pants stripes, Pants color opposite jersey color.

Wisconsin white helmet, cardinal mask, two cardinal helmet stripes, small chest wordmark (like most NFL teams), two thin sleeve stripes near the cuff, sleeve tv numbers, two cardinal pants stripes, always white pants.

These problems are very real, but the solutions are pretty simple and I think most people would be happy with them..

7 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

Someone needs to tell App State that accessories do not count in the overall number of combinations. Helmets, jerseys, and pants are ultimately all that count. Wrist bands, sweat bands, socks and shoes do not. Someone online argued this with me, comparing baseball's hats and stirrups count towards the total number, but that's a moot point to me, as a hat is part of the uniform, but stirrups only are if worn by the entire team, otherwise just an accessory. 

Also, I love how App State has the template view of the uniforms, helmets, socks and shoes, but "real" stock photos of everything else... 

But we all know that recruits love the fact they can wear 4 different colors of wristbands!!

8 hours ago, razorback447 said:

Oklahoma actually got that look from Arkansas when they hired Jim Mackenzie from us in 1966 to be their head coach.  I really wish we had never strayed from it. I wouldn't mind at all if we decided to wear our throwback uniform from 2014 full time. 

See, that's pretty interesting.  I didn't know that, and I bet a lot of people didn't know that.  That's the problem with chasing a "unique" look when you're a classic large conference team.  Now, if Arkansas wanted to go back to that look, the best look for them, every one would say they were copying Oklahoma, not realizing it's the other way around.  That's why a team that isn't a second tier wanna-be, desperate for any attention from recruits, should avoid playing Oregon's uniform game,  Yeah, it worked for them, but now it's their thing.  It's not gonna work for anyone else.  And I'd be willing to bet, it's not really even working for Oregon anymore.  Going forward, their recruiting will be based on the on-field success, not the ugly uniform arms race.

2 hours ago, buckeye said:

But we all know that recruits love the fact they can wear 4 different colors of wristbands!!

This is true, not sure about the arm bands. But a recruit coming in seeing a bunch of options of gear is huge. I remember when I went to college and even though a small school  my first day going to the locker room they had different stuff lined up and I thought this is all free for me, and looks awesome. Esp having multiple shoes, kids love shoes and style these days. Even grown men love style, I played Semi pro recently and some men in mid 30's playing are always before and after practice on phones buying up new cleats and gloves and accessories to look good on the field. So this is a huge recruiting point like it or not. Can poke all the fun you want about it. But the throw on a helmet and pads days of football are gone. You want to go out on that filed looking "beast" and "fresh" these college teams know what they are doing.

5 hours ago, jsr862 said:

This is true, not sure about the arm bands. But a recruit coming in seeing a bunch of options of gear is huge. I remember when I went to college and even though a small school  my first day going to the locker room they had different stuff lined up and I thought this is all free for me, and looks awesome. Esp having multiple shoes, kids love shoes and style these days. Even grown men love style, I played Semi pro recently and some men in mid 30's playing are always before and after practice on phones buying up new cleats and gloves and accessories to look good on the field. So this is a huge recruiting point like it or not. Can poke all the fun you want about it. But the throw on a helmet and pads days of football are gone. You want to go out on that filed looking "beast" and "fresh" these college teams know what they are doing.

If by "beast" you mean wearing the same tired matte helmet with an oversized logo on one side and a number on the opposite, that dozens of other schools have already driven into the ground... and by "fresh" you mean ordering a set of paint-by-numbers uniforms in black, gray and (maybe) a school color in a pre-designed catalog template... then, yup, these colleges sure know what they're doing.

13 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

If by "beast" you mean wearing the same tired matte helmet with an oversized logo on one side and a number on the opposite, that dozens of other schools have already driven into the ground... and by "fresh" you mean ordering a set of paint-by-numbers uniforms in black, gray and (maybe) a school color in a pre-designed catalog template... then, yup, these colleges sure know what they're doing.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what he means. Kids like it, what are you gonna do?

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Some schools don't have the funds or the strings to pull to get high end designs. You can say it's all been done before this and that, but then they go and do a plain simple design and you all complain they copied a top tier team like the new Louisiana unis. But yet they do something unique you complain as well. There is only so much you can do to a football uniform with so many color pallets. That's why we have logos. To different. some complain of teams using the eagle wings on jerseys as a Oregon rip off. But if the schools mascot is an eagle or a hawk...why not. What you want a beak? A tailfeather? If a uniform looks good, it looks good FOR THAT SCHOOL. if Wisconsin and Nebraska want to look alike..so be it. It's the look they like. It's a traditional football look. Back in the day everyone looked alike and didn't hear much complaining.

I don't mean to speak for Vike, but I think what he's saying (and I agree), is that it's ok for two simplistic, traditional looks to be pretty similar because 1. They're likely rooted in some sort of tradition. 2. They're typically based on tried-and-true, aesthetically pleasing designs. 3. They get a free pass on being similar to others due to the simplicity of the uniform design, allowing the helmet logos, uniform colors, and wordmarks to give all the necessary information... 

The problem he's referring to is all the fad-hoping and trend-jumping.. All the bandwagoners trying to get a recruiting edge through outlandish uniform concepts that are unoriginal and frankly, tired at this point.. There's only so much room in college football for hydrographics, chrome, matte, anthracite, white-out, oversized logos, pants wordmarks, truncated stripes, and shoulder caps.. You can just about pinpoint a programs exact level of futility based on the number of these elements that can be found in their uniforms at any given time.. 

Alabama doesn't seem to have any trouble getting recruits, and they don't even have 1 alternate.. Maybe some teams should take note

52 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I don't mean to speak for Vike, but I think what he's saying (and I agree), is that it's ok for two simplistic, traditional looks to be pretty similar because 1. They're likely rooted in some sort of tradition. 2. They're typically based on tried-and-true, aesthetically pleasing designs. 3. They get a free pass on being similar to others due to the simplicity of the uniform design, allowing the helmet logos, uniform colors, and wordmarks to give all the necessary information... 

The problem he's referring to is all the fad-hoping and trend-jumping.. All the bandwagoners trying to get a recruiting edge through outlandish uniform concepts that are unoriginal and frankly, tired at this point.. There's only so much room in college football for hydrographics, chrome, matte, anthracite, white-out, oversized logos, pants wordmarks, truncated stripes, and shoulder caps.. You can just about pinpoint a programs exact level of futility based on the number of these elements that can be found in their uniforms at any given time.. 

Alabama doesn't seem to have any trouble getting recruits, and they don't even have 1 alternate.. Maybe some teams should take note

Alabama also wins Championships and lose perhaps 2 games a year total. They don't need fancy things to get recruits. But for smaller schools who they know they aren't going for national championships. Kids know the program may lose every game. If they commit there needs to be something fancy and crazy to try and get there attention from an equal type school to land a recruit and that's where the uniforms and all the free stuff comes in. Which other than a select few big schools. Most the crazy stuff come from the smaller schools who need something extra to catch an eye of a recruit.

1 hour ago, jsr862 said:

Alabama also wins Championships and lose perhaps 2 games a year total. They don't need fancy things to get recruits. But for smaller schools who they know they aren't going for national championships. Kids know the program may lose every game. If they commit there needs to be something fancy and crazy to try and get there attention from an equal type school to land a recruit and that's where the uniforms and all the free stuff comes in. Which other than a select few big schools. Most the crazy stuff come from the smaller schools who need something extra to catch an eye of a recruit.

And that's been proven to be null and void by Rutgers and their coach saying that the uniform craze doesn't get you recruits whatsoever. Stop and think about certain schools, such as Alabama, etc. They have a history of winning and producing NFL talent. Very few if any recruits ask, "What are we gonna wear?" They ask, "How many games will we win?" or "How much will I play?" All these uniforms are to get people's attention, but since everyone is doing it, no one pays attention.

13 minutes ago, oddball said:

And that's been proven to be null and void by Rutgers and their coach saying that the uniform craze doesn't get you recruits whatsoever. Stop and think about certain schools, such as Alabama, etc. They have a history of winning and producing NFL talent. Very few if any recruits ask, "What are we gonna wear?" They ask, "How many games will we win?" or "How much will I play?" All these uniforms are to get people's attention, but since everyone is doing it, no one pays attention.

Of course uniforms don't actually land you recruits. However they may help to catch a recruits eye so that they actually answer that call, text or DM from a coach. 

well....Tulane appears to have gotten new uniforms, a few screenshots:

Screenshot (164).png

I love the shade of green used on this helmet, but....

Screenshot (163).png

....it doesn't appear to match anything else

Screenshot (176).png

i thought these shots were interesting, they seem tan/cream to me, does anyone know about this?

Screenshot (166).png

Screenshot (172).png

and what should really be their only set 

Screenshot (168).png

Screenshot (169).png

Archived