Super Bowl 50 Aesthetics

CreamSoda

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a huge fan of the orange pants in the mockup. I'd go with white pants and orange socks to work some orange into the road uniforms, Blue numbers on white and orange socks would make a nice inversion of the home uniforms being orange jerseys and blue socks. It's certainly not as awkward as those stupid Giants uniforms everyone except me loves.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:45 AM, Heitert said:

There's too much going on. There should never be three different pieces of a uniform that prominently feature three different colors. Here you have navy helmet, white jersey, orange pants. IMO, the helmet color should match the pants as much as possible, if not, go with white pants. 

I was coming to post the Steelers' road uni, but I was beaten to it.

The orange pants do look strange, but that's just because we haven't seen them yet. We'd get used to them. It's pretty much the exact inverse of the home look. After a year or so, that wouldn't look at all strange.

But like I said before, the road look has too much blue. The easiest solution would be to just use orange numbers with a navy outline, leaving the pants and side stripes the same. The only other look I can think of in which the team's primary color only appears as an accent on the helmet and on outlines is the old Raiders' roads with silver numbers. And yes, the current Raiders' roads are better. These Broncos roads were bad before they went to orange primaries, but it's certainly highlighted now.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Not a huge fan of the orange pants in the mockup. I'd go with white pants and orange socks to work some orange into the road uniforms, Blue numbers on white and orange socks would make a nice inversion of the home uniforms being orange jerseys and blue socks. It's certainly not as awkward as those stupid Giants uniforms everyone except me loves.

Just make the swooshes orange.  They'd just wear the pants that they used to wear with the navy jerseys. 

They'd also be able to wear the alternate navy pants on the road too.  That could actually be a good look too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Anyone notice the navy in the Broncos' end zone was lightened a great deal compared to the first view we saw of it? The sideline paint was significantly lighter in the first views we saw, and they seemed to have re-painted it that lighter shade of blue. I know it might be lighting, but I seriously doubt it given the significant changes in brightness to one color. 

Mockup.png

The end zones were repainted leading up to the game since those photos surfaced. The field was used for a game before the Super Bowl so that makes sense. Plus color fades under the sun after multiple days.

And as for Broncos in white. Yeah. it didn't affect the outcome of the game but for the players who believe in superstition it affected their mental state. Not so significant. But maybe it is for some of them

Go A's!

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

(Something is going goofy with the board.  I am trying to quote @Sykotyk, but the board won't let me.  I have to paste the text, then hit the button with the quote marks.)

I was a fan of the Arena Football League during that time -- first of the CityHawks, then of the Dragons.  And I preferred the two-conference system. A Tampa Bay - Orlando Arena Bowl just shouldn't happen.  That feels like a conference final. 

By the way, the two-conference system came in in 2005, two years after the NBC deal began. The absurdity of ignoring the conferences and even the divisions was illustrated in 2004 when the Dragons won the division but didn't make the playoffs, because playoff spots were given out without regard to division standings.  This was rectified the following year when the division winners were guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, and the playoffs went to conference-based.

But, anyway, the NFL is in a different position structurally from the Arena League or from the NBA or NHL, in that both of the NFL's conferences are nation-wide, whereas those other leagues' conferences are eastern and western (notwithstanding the AFL's nonsensical naming of its eastern and western conferences as "National" and "American").  For this reason, the NFL more than those other leagues ought to be respecting the idea of conference champions. 

Actually, I'd prefer that the importance of conferences and divisions be further emphasised.

Now that the NFL has four divisions in each conference, that league could drastically improve its playoff system by allowing only division winners into the playoffs. And to really give the divisions some juice, the tie-breakers should be head-to-head results, then divisional results. Every divisional game would be like a playoff game.

Furthermore, the NFL should double-down on the conference identities by dispensing with inter-conference play altogether, and by really treating each conference as a separate circuit.  With 16 teams per conference, the league is set up perfectly to have an 18-game season with no inter-conference play: 2 games vs. each division opponent (6 games), and one game vs. each non-divisional conference opponent (12 games).

This would replicate the best playoff system that we have ever seen in any sport, that of Major League Baseball from 1969 through 1993.  By allowing only division winners into the post-season, the Majors increased the playoff field without sacrificing the traditional requirement that a team be a champion in order to participate.  This was enormously effective, as divisional titles really meant something to teams in that period, almost equivalent to a pennant in the pre-divisional-play era.  For instance, the White Sox and Blue Jays recently held celebrations of the anniversaries of their divisional titles in 1983 and 1985, respectively.  Those teams feel like champions, despite the fact that they didn't ultimately win their league pennants.

The NFL could increase the integrity of its playoffs and also the importance of its regular season by implementing this kind of playoff system.

The Dragons missing the playoffs was a playoff-arrangement mistake the league instituted. Every other year, before and after, all four division winners (or however many division they had at the time) were given a berth in the playoffs.

That one year, they decided to change things up and stop giving the division champion an automatic home playoff game. But, naively believing all four division winners would qualify anyways, simplified it down to 'all teams are seeded and qualify based on overall league record'. Then, the Dragons missed the playoffs despite winning their division and they switched back to the old system.

As for NBC ushering in the switch from league-wide to conference style, they didn't demand too many changes right off the bat. But, in the years before and through NBC's tenure (coincides with NFL 49% purchase offer which included discounted expansion fees for NFL owners), many things were changed (in no particular order):

Coaches no longer allowed on the field.

Sideline line no longer counts as out-of-bounds despite wall existing a few inches beyond line.

Endline no longer 'out of bounds' on kickoffs.

Netting switched from white to black (though, huge improvement for fans in stadium).

Penalties switched from 3yd and 8yd to 5yd and 10yd.

Ironman replaced with platoons (increasing rosters at the same time that increased cost).

Switched from league-wide to conference playoffs.

Modified defensive penalties, increasing scoring, now up to 60ppg league wide average.

Playing up NFL connections (such as putting Dallas in the East with New York, who originally started in the West, then moved to the Central, and then got moved to the East)

Playing games on Sunday afternoons (horrible time slot for Arenaball. Friday or Saturday night is their wheelhouse. Sunday afternoon is a whole different crowd, which the AFL tried to embrace making it 'kid/family friendly' instead of a party atmosphere).

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Pretty sure we'll never see the Broncos rock orange to the Supe' ever again.

That's why this outcome was such a shame. Now the Broncos won't wear their orange jerseys in the Super Bowl again, and the Panthers are going to be bitches and never wear their black jerseys again in the playoffs. In a perfect world, the Broncos would have beaten the Seahawks wearing orange, then lost to the Panthers while they wore black. But if the Broncos won 48 in orange, they wouldn't have worn white this time so whatever I'm talking out my ass.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

25 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

That's why this outcome was such a shame. Now the Broncos won't wear their orange jerseys in the Super Bowl again

Should the Broncos meet Dallas or maybe Carolina or Washington again in an odd numbered Super Bowl, then perhaps we'll get orange again  -- but really, what are the odds?

6uXNWAo.png

I was under the impression the winner would get not just the Lombardi, but the golden "5" and "0". I can understand the digits not being presented on the podium, but does anybody know if the Broncos are taking the entire package home with them?

Gold-Lombardi-trophy-03-24-15jpg.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

14 hours ago, zigbazah said:

I thought the jersey patch looked really good, especially in the sunlight.  

the patch is more of a plastic stamp.  the SB50 replica jerseys have it too. 1st time that i've noticed it not being a traditional patch.

CZq3Jz2WQAArUFT.jpg

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

4 hours ago, pagan696 said:

the patch is more of a plastic stamp.  the SB50 replica jerseys have it too. 1st time that i've noticed it not being a traditional patch.

CZq3Jz2WQAArUFT.jpg

I really like the plastic stamp/patch. I have a Panthers hat with the SB50 patch on the side and it looks really nice, especially the way it reflects light. I feel like the plastic texture lends itself to showcase more detail than would a sewn patch. 

1 minute ago, ltjets21 said:

So I assume since the Broncos won their third super bowl in this get up we shouldn't expect a uniform change any time soon.

The cyberhorse true definition of a "modern classic". I didn't believe the rumors of a Nike overhaul earlier in the year, and like you said, this win totally squashes that theory.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived