7 hours ago, jrodsep said:

$15 million total?!?!? Did I read that correctly? That's an absurdly small amount of money for something so small on the uniform and that ruins whatever ascetic the team wants to have.  

The Sixers are bottom 5 in both attendance and local TV ratings, so they deal is bacically the floor for these contracts. WAS, CLT, and DEN, NOP will probably have similar financial terms.

Those high attendance and high local ratings, like SAS, GSW, and even NYK will earn much more lucrative deals. Plus those with greater international appeal are going to do even better with an international partners.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, The Wolf Within said:

I'm seriously hoping that the owners realize that relatively small amount of money (to them) isn't worth pissing of their fans and decide to stop it once the three years are up.

I have a terrible feeling that these aren't the only ads they'll push for though. I can see somebody trying to get an ad put below the numbers like many international basketball teams have. You have to let them know this isn't acceptable before it gets to that level. Soccer leagues justify their ads by keeping commercials out of matches or saying they keep ticket prices low. The NBA hasn't even pretended the ads will benefit its fans in any way. It's pure greed.

It's not really fair to call it "greed". These teams are businesses first and foremost and have to do whats best for the state of the company.

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

the apparel co doesn't always make the uniforms. Up until a couple of years ago (and still for a few teams) the uniforms are made by Ripon and reebok just had them see their logo on the sleeve. 

Look ok at the business world - how silly would it look if there was a logo on my dress shirt?  

When something represents one brand, there's no room for another brand's mark, and the inclusion of such mark is an advertisement - plain and simple, no debate.  

People wear logos on dress shirts every day? The Ralph Lauren logo is seen all over the world on people's chests.

We voluntarily wear shirts with huge logos on them all the time.

Of course. OF COURSE the 76ers are the first team to do this. A team so desperate, yet pleased in its current state, goes out and so proudly flaunts that they got a company that sells their secondhand tickets, even though no one seems to want them. It's something so brilliantly stupid, that I can't do anything but shake my head.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

You'd have to think that considering the teams themselves are only directly getting 25% of the $ for these deals (50% going to players, 25% going to revenue sharing), that they'll be considering more than just who is offering the most $ when picking a jersey sponsor.

The Sixers, for example, already do business with StubHub so they could have conceivably said "we'll give you a "discount" on the jersey ad in exchange for some other business you bring us that we'll get to keep more than 25% of..."

Other people have said this, but I'll add on. Stop comparing the ads to the manufacturer logo. A comparison I'm thinking of is a suit, or other fancy clothing. They could put their logo on it, because they made it. That won't look stupid. My glasses that I'm wearing have the logo of the company that made them. That's normal. The change comes when advertising comes in. The only thing StubHub has done is pay them to stamp their logo on the jerseys. Imagine buying the suit I talked about before. You look at it and realize there is a McDonald's logo beside the manufacturer's logo. The patch may be small, but the effect it can have on others will be much larger. 

Sure, StubHub could have given the money to pay for players, but I don't think the Tankers-sorry, Sixers will be doing that. They aren't getting good players. The $ is going to the owners. And the fans are going to have to suffer. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

58 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

You gotta relax man. Sports are a business and a small ad doesn't effect your life. Get over it. Uniforms aren't sacred space. You're acting like a fool for suggesting people should attempt to burn jerseys, tarnish the Stubhub brand, organize rallies, etc. That's way over the top. The last thing we need in todays world is any of that happening because of advertising. 

And people on Facebook are "livid" 24/7 about everything. They'll get over it.

people on Facebook might get over it, but we here on this forum will not. That is the whole point of us signing up for this place, our love of sports and sports uniforms. And when someone pisses on our passion, we have every right to be upset and angry.

1 hour ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

People wear logos on dress shirts every day? The Ralph Lauren logo is seen all over the world on people's chests.

We voluntarily wear shirts with huge logos on them all the time.

You might.  I don't - or at least I don't wear conflicting logos.  My workout shirts have a UA logo or swoosh on them - so yeah, I voluntarily wear those - but the logo isn't infringing on another logo that's the focal point of the shirt.

As for the Ralph Lauren logo - it looks absurd on polo shirts - it's an ad, but we've been so conditioned for so long to expect some design there, so most people don't even realize that they're a billboard for a private company.  I've never seen it on a dress shirt, but that would be even more ridiculous, because you'd have to go way out of your way to find a dress shirt that had that logo, since literally 99.9% of them don't have any logo.

When I'm dressed for work, the brand I'm representing is my own.  I'm me.  My clothes are a part of my personal brand.  Until I'm famous enough for Ralph Lauren to pay me to endorse his shirts and wear the logo, you won't see it on my body.  That's for real.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

You gotta relax man. Sports are a business and a small ad doesn't effect your life. Get over it. Uniforms aren't sacred space. You're acting like a fool for suggesting people should attempt to burn jerseys, tarnish the Stubhub brand, organize rallies, etc. That's way over the top. The last thing we need in todays world is any of that happening because of advertising. 

And people on Facebook are "livid" 24/7 about everything. They'll get over it.

Nope. They crossed my red line.

To me they are sacred, and I hope the uprising is loud and angry. Maybe it will be, maybe it wont be...but the NHL/MLB/NFL will no longer be getting a penny from me if the follow suit.

I dont have a dog in the fight regarding the NBA, let them continue to be a laughingstock...but they cannot let this drech spread. The NFL is already dangerously close to really upsetting its fan base with its petty uniform games and gimmicks. I think they're ok, but if you think Steeler nation or Eagles or Jets fans will tolerate a playtex patch on those uniforms you are sadly mistaken.

2 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Nope. They crossed my red line.

To me they are sacred, and I hope the uprising is loud and angry. Maybe it will be, maybe it wont be...but the NHL/MLB/NFL will no longer be getting a penny from me if the follow suit.

We don't like it either, but you did come on here way too strong man. You've only had 4 posts on the boards and the 3 I've seen have been a flame war of not thought out well jibberish about Europe not being America so :censored: ads. Blah blah blah.

Being strident in one's opinions is not starting a flame war. It was all well thought out and well reasoned.

To me, Europe is the canary in the coal mine...in all respects. We have to be on guard and make sure none of the awful trends we see transpiring in Europe now...from ads on uniforms to other things, are not repeated here. We need to keep our sports culture, which is absolutely no ads on jerseys.

This is the wrong time to follow Europe's lead.

16 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Being strident in one's opinions is not starting a flame war. It was all well thought out and well reasoned.

To me, Europe is the canary in the coal mine...in all respects. We have to be on guard and make sure none of the awful trends we see transpiring in Europe now...from ads on uniforms to other things, are not repeated here. We need to keep our sports culture, which is absolutely no ads on jerseys.

This is the wrong time to follow Europe's lead.

You see a lot worse trends coming from college sports. The bad from Europe being really only ads is based out of neccesity. They need ads to make ends meet because either they don't get ad revenue from commercials (soccer) or are a much smaller team or league like KHL. There are much worse designs coming from college that are making there ways into the pros. BFBS, GFGS, giant logos, chrome, sleeves, random patterns ect. That were only created to look cool for all the high school recruits so they can see all their swag. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

You see a lot worse trends coming from college sports. The bad from Europe being really only ads is based out of neccesity. They need ads to make ends meet because either they don't get ad revenue from commercials (soccer) or are a much smaller team or league like KHL. There are much worse designs coming from college that are making there ways into the pros. BFBS, GFGS, giant logos, chrome, sleeves, random patterns ect. That were only created to look cool for all the high school recruits so they can see all their swag. 

Yea, college football uniforms are in such poor shape that it renders the games unwatchable for me. Teams have no identity. Chrome this and matte that and a special pattern and the same "unveiling" which involves some model in a gladiator pose roaring. It is a cesspool. The grey outs, the blackouts...it's become a runaway freight train of ugly. And I havent even gotten to the fact that they all pretty much look like spandex bodysuits...the bigger dudes look...hilarious. not very flattering. Sleeves...what are those?

Ideally the whole thing needs a reset. When you play 12 games a year, all you need is one home, one road jersey, and one helmet. I wish there was a mandate that every ncaa team had to settle on design and were not allowed to change it for three years...at least that way you could establish identities.

We've seen it all already too. Every possible design, every single gross mangled atrocity...this is just in the past 5 years. Now that we've gone off the cliff...what's next? We have seemingly maxed out. Maybe Oregon can have special neon reflective hologram green twirling xray emitting super fibertech glamzilla spandex pantsuits that will be...uh "revolutionary" and usher in a new era of cutting edge tradit....

I honestly think the next step will be two different uniforms in the same game. A team (Oregon) will play the first half in a reflective green neon jumpsuit with duckbilled facemasks and at halftime quickly change into a yellow neon catsuit with feathers...also the feathers will be army fatigues to support the troops and the facemasks will be pink to support boob cancer. This will symbolize the toughness of football and history and tradition and is just a natural evolution of things and stuff like that. Also in the 4th quarter we'll be referred to as Los Ducks and every player will switch to the #42 for Jackie Robinson. None of this is crazy. This is all natural and normal.

8 hours ago, The Wolf Within said:

I'm seriously hoping that the owners realize that relatively small amount of money (to them) isn't worth pissing of their fans and decide to stop it once the three years are up.

I have a terrible feeling that these aren't the only ads they'll push for though. I can see somebody trying to get an ad put below the numbers like many international basketball teams have. You have to let them know this isn't acceptable before it gets to that level. Soccer leagues justify their ads by keeping commercials out of matches or saying they keep ticket prices low. The NBA hasn't even pretended the ads will benefit its fans in any way. It's pure greed.

I can get behind that.

a2BRS8U.png

16 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Other teams have managed to turn the corner; the Warriors are the easiest example. OKC was built without #1 picks.

What? OKC is exactly what the Sixers are trying to become. They got Durant #1 overall and then Westbrook and Harden the next two years at 4th and 3rd respectively.

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

What? OKC is exactly what the Sixers are trying to become. They got Durant #1 overall and then Westbrook and Harden the next two years at 4th and 3rd respectively.

Durant was the #2 pick. Greg Oden went first to the Trailblazers. That didn't end well.

8bVWNl7.png.df4b40fc8bee1fb7b4442d7fc55c

Archived