The Sports Media Thread

But seriously, I read more into this story and it's actually going to have a more kid-geared presentation on Nickelodeon along with the normal broadcast on CBS. It's not going to be Spongebob for 3 hours followed by the Houston Texans playing the Cleveland Browns or whatever irrelevant game the NFL would allow to be stuck on a kid's network.

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

But seriously, I read more into this story and it's actually going to have a more kid-geared presentation on Nickelodeon along with the normal broadcast on CBS. It's not going to be Spongebob for 3 hours followed by the Houston Texans playing the Cleveland Browns or whatever irrelevant game the NFL would allow to be stuck on a kid's network.

I will assume that it will be a 2 vs. 7 game in a not-so-big market. 2 vs. 7 matchup should be the worst game in terms of victory margin and if it is played in Cleveland or Nashville, then all the better to simulcast it on Nick Jr. (Is Nick Jr. still a thing?)

I look forward to Buffalo replacing Houston and/or Tennessee as the go-to market to be shelved to the worst broadcast slot.

Nickelodeon! If there isn't any more evidence that 2020 is a joke year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 12:07 PM, monkeypower said:

I hadn't heard about the SB Nation news and that's a shame. I haven't really read their articles or visited their site at all, but their YouTube videos (and past videos posted on Jon Bois' old personal channel) are top notch.

When SB Nation changed up the college football section I started paying less and less attention. Since I've been at home since March I hadn't even looked at that site at all. I'm not really surprised. Most of the articles promoted were more about generating arguments than reporting sports. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Dynasty said:

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1973533/report-tessitore-mcfarland-ousted-from-mnf-booth

With Booger out from Monday Night Football, this means he won't be coming back.

I like Tessitore but maybe not for MNF. Booger was terrible, though.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before ESPN puts Stephen A. Smith in the booth.

IUe6Hvh.png

5 minutes ago, See Red said:

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before ESPN puts Stephen A. Smith in the booth.

"Big game for the Dolphins and Steelers tonight, Stephen A., and they're talking about expecting rain here in PIttsburgh."
"Oh there will DEFINITELY be some complications of a precipitory character."

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 hours ago, Dynasty said:

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1973533/report-tessitore-mcfarland-ousted-from-mnf-booth

With Booger out from Monday Night Football, this means he won't be coming back.

Booger says dumb :censored: and gets all the attention for how bad he is, but for my money it's Tessitore who made that team unlistenable. That guy's demeanor and voice is just so annoying and he tried to heighten the Monday Night experience. Stop yelling at me, Tess!

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 minutes ago, Sport said:

Booger says dumb :censored: and gets all the attention for how bad he is, but for my money it's Tessitore who made that team unlistenable. That guy's demeanor and voice is just so annoying and he tried to heighten the Monday Night experience. Stop yelling at me, Tess!

Oh yeah. Booger showed a ton of improvement. He was enthusiastic and learning on the job -- while being in a :censored:ing cherry picker!

Tess was a professional wrestling announcer doing football. It was exhausting to listen to.

• Like 2

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This is what annoys me about PBP announcers in football today. They sound like they should be doing WWE and not the NFL or college football. I miss the understated elegance to a guy like the late great Pat Summerall's presentation. He did it so well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Oh yeah. Booger showed a ton of improvement. He was enthusiastic and learning on the job -- while being in a :censored:ing cherry picker!

Tess was a professional wrestling announcer doing football. It was exhausting to listen to.

Well, he wasn't in a cherry picker last year.  He was just terrible.  But in a booth.  I don't see what he brings to the table to ESPN at all, either for MNF or any of his other appearances.  I'd agree that Tessitore's style is better suited for when he covers boxing, but at least he doesn't fill time stating the obvious or just being flat out wrong.  Remember when Booger said the Bills should have ran a QB draw on 3rd and 10 and then spiked the ball to kick a FG?  I think knowing how many downs a team gets should be the bare minimum requirement for color commentating a football game.

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

Joe Tessitore was pathetic because he was earnestly going balls to the wall for, like, the sixth-best game of the week at best. Honestly you may as well just pull Chris Berman off whatever weight-loss commercial he's doing this year so he can sit up there and be like SAM DARNOLD THAT DREAM

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 7:47 AM, JayMac said:

This is what annoys me about PBP announcers in football today. They sound like they should be doing WWE and not the NFL or college football. I miss the understated elegance to a guy like the late great Pat Summerall's presentation. He did it so well.

I might be giving The Internet too much credit here, but I wonder if a lot of guys being so over-the-top is a conscious reaction to how Joe Buck tried to be a modern Pat Summerall and was condemned for it. Ol' Joe has had kind of a redemption tour as of late, because Deadspin realized "oh, he's a prick with the dry and caustic sense of humor that attends an expensive private-school education, like me? He's Actually Good!", but up through at least 2006, there was nothing so dreaded as having sports moments ruined by Joe Buck trying too hard to be sparse and instead just coming off bored. He hit all his marks, but man, you just gotta have the pipes for it or it doesn't work, that's all there is to it. And I wouldn't recommend living like Pat Summerall to get them. He's dead!

So now in this effort not to get caught doing Joe Buck moments ("Time winds down in Lake Placid. Two. One. Over. The Americans will advance to play Finland in the next game."), you have jamokes screaming "POETRY HAS BEEN PUT INTO MOTION, A LIFE IMMORTALIZED, THEY WILL REFER TO THIS GAME AS THE MIRACLE ON OCCIDENTAL AVENUE" because the Seahawks hit a field goal in overtime on a Monday or something.

• Like 7

The sports broadcasting world also very much overcorrected following our brief collective infatuation with Gus Johnson. Gus did really exciting play-by-play, but people confused SHOUTING for being animated.

Then Gus Johnson did soccer or something and everyone forgot about him.

I think Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth are smug as hell, but I'd rather listen to them than most anyone else.

• Like 2