The Sports Media Thread

Gus Johnson was perfect for March Madness because being a big goober is what March Madness is all about. HEARTBREAK CITY! But you can't be at a 10 all the time, because where do you go from there? (No one bother posting the Spinal Tap clip, I know and love the reference.)

I remember a clip of Gus doing NFL where he yelled "HE'S GOT RUN-FROM-THE-COPS SPEED!", which, well, probably won't be deploying that line again any time soon, huh.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I honestly like Tessitore in the Monday Night booth. It might be me, but more often the not... the games he is involved with are entertaining as all hell. Even when he did college football.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Gus Johnson was perfect for March Madness because being a big goober is what March Madness is all about. HEARTBREAK CITY! But you can't be at a 10 all the time, because where do you go from there? (No one bother posting the Spinal Tap clip, I know and love the reference.)

I remember a clip of Gus doing NFL where he yelled "HE'S GOT RUN-FROM-THE-COPS SPEED!", which, well, probably won't be deploying that line again any time soon, huh.

Gus Johnson is perfect for a last second shot in the NCAA Tournament, but he calls a layup two minutes into the game with the same energy and it's just too much.  And really, nobody needs this in an Ohio State/Maryland game.

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

That clip reminds me of when Le Batard goaded Randy Moller into shouting random movie references as goal calls on Panthers radio, which was funny for a while but then the Panthers demoted him to doing intermission reports.

• Like 1

I remember the Penguins announcer that would say stupid-irrelevant phrases after every goal, and then he got on Sports Center, so lots of hack announcers tried to come up with catch phrases or silly things that would get them on Sports Center.  I'm sure there's announcers that sit around coming up with sayings, many of which aren't even sports related, or Chris Berman-esque nicknames just to get attention.  "You had barbecue?  And didn't invite me?"  WTF.  Tota hack.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Mike Lange, and he still does that. But from Lange, they feel more like bursts of confused exuberance, and I do like a good "he didn't know whether to cry or wind his watch," bowdlerized as it may be.

Speaking of overzealous calls, always hated this call because it sounds like the guy knows he's auditioning for a major league role, goes on way too long, and in doing so it sounds like he's yelling a prepared sound bite, which always sound worse than whatever spontaneous thing comes out in the moment. It was a championship, yes, but it's also the Calder Cup and you'd find 0 people who Cleveland who'd say this championship ended their drought so he's at 14 out of 10 and he needs to be at like a 9. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 minutes ago, Sport said:

It was a championship, yes, but it's also the Calder Cup and you'd find 0 people who Cleveland who'd say this championship ended their drought so he's at 14 out of 10 and he needs to be at like a 9. 

I'd forgotten that the Monsters won the Calder Cup. Also, I think 7 would have sufficed. 

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

There are maybe two other people on this forum who would join me in riffing out Morrissey Does Play-By-Play Of Great Moments In Sports, but just in case they're out there, I submit Morrissey calling the Cubs' win for the Indians broadcast with "I was always a fool to believe this house was ever a home," or Ripken breaking the streak with "oh, but how he never truly knew what it meant to be his father's son."

Mauro Ranallo is an announcer with WWE but also does MMA. This is a video of his biggest calls, but in my experience with Mauro, he's like this All. The. Time.

I find the shouting completely exhausting as a listener.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I submit Morrissey calling the Cubs' win for the Indians broadcast with "I was always a fool to believe this house was ever a home,"

Of all the places I thought I would get my daily reminder that a Cleveland team blew a championship, this thread on these here boards wasn't any of them. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Jim Joyce blows the call in Galarraga's perfect game: "How could a deed so criminal be done by such a stalwart man?"

White Sox win the World Series: "So this is what it means to be unknown but not forgotten, a book of verse upon the shelf she'll never see..."

Rangers win the Stanley Cup: "You men of Madison Avenue, you in your towel and me in my shame, oh, will this world ever let me forget you?"

'04 Red Sox win which means La Russa loses: "you and I pushed away every rotting filet, but now we know for all time it wasn't (and would never be) wholly sufficient."

Kareem breaks the points record: "Though his blood red, it must be said, I never did care much for Muslims."

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sport said:

[...] it sounds like the guy knows he's auditioning for a major league role, goes on way too long, and in doing so it sounds like he's yelling a prepared sound bite, which always sound worse than whatever spontaneous thing comes out in the moment. It was a championship December game, yes, but it's also the Calder Cup regular season and you'd find 0 people who Cleveland in Saskatchewan who'd say this championship goal ended their drought to make it a 6-2 game is meaningful, so he's at 14 out of 10 and he needs to be at like a 9 6-7

Edited to reflect my previous life when I did colour for a Jr. A team in Saskatchewan.

There are some very good pxp guys who in Jr. A, but then there are just as many, if not more, that are not. The points about auditioning for a major league role, going on too long and yelling a prepared sound bite are very true (spoiler alert! Some of them are prepared, to an extent) because they are using it as an audition to make clips to move up in the broadcasting world.

An example of this is if in one game a couple pages worth of Doc Emrick-isms had been printed out and taped to the wall of the press box by the pxp guy (a completely, totally hypothetical example of course).

IbjBaeE.png

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

Jim Joyce blows the call in Galarraga's perfect game: "How could a deed so criminal be done by such a stalwart man?"

White Sox win the World Series: "So this is what it means to be unknown but not forgotten, a book of verse upon the shelf she'll never see..."

Rangers win the Stanley Cup: "You men of Madison Avenue, you in your towel and me in my shame, oh, will this world ever let me forget you?"

'04 Red Sox win which means La Russa loses: "you and I pushed away every rotting filet, but now we know for all time it wasn't (and would never be) wholly sufficient."

Kareem breaks the points record: "Though his blood red, it must be said, I never did care much for Muslims."

This needs a thread.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just to bring the topic back to MNF quickly, although this is a broader ESPN problem really, but one thing that bringing in a new broadcast crew isn't going to solve is ESPN's obnoxious overuse of panning to crowd shots after plays happen. They must do it far more than the other networks do, and the only other network I can think of that tends to use them with any kind of volume - Fox - does it so much better than ESPN does.

As long as this is how ESPN does things, it's not really going to matter who they have in the booth because it makes their production look so amateur-ish. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

On 5/14/2020 at 2:25 PM, the admiral said:

That clip reminds me of when Le Batard goaded Randy Moller into shouting random movie references as goal calls on Panthers radio, which was funny for a while but then the Panthers demoted him to doing intermission reports.

One of two Blackhawks games I ever went to at the United Center -- it's  expensive! -- I deliberately picked a seat in the last row in front of the road radio booth so I could hear some of that nonsense live.

Final score: Blackhawks 4, Panthers 0.