The Sports Media Thread

My Xbox has a browser and I can stream games on it. I'm all out of extra $7/$9/$12 per month so sorry NBC Sports. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

At this point it would be a lot easier to pay one big bill that covers all the different services, even the ones I have no intent to watch, just so that I can watch something when I feel like it and know that it's there. Oh, and it's all right, and it's coming on...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

50 minutes ago, the admiral said:

At this point it would be a lot easier to pay one big bill that covers all the different services, even the ones I have no intent to watch, just so that I can watch something when I feel like it and know that it's there. Oh, and it's all right, and it's coming on...

Some kind of service like that feels so familiar...

• Like 1

Free agent sports radio titan Dan LeBatard and DAZN’s John Skipper to be starting a new sports content company. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2021/01/dan-lebatard-john-skipper-former-espn-colleagues-content-venture-dazn-kevin-mayer-streaming-1234668185/amp/

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

Free agent sports radio titan Dan LeBatard and DAZN’s John Skipper to be starting a new sports content company. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2021/01/dan-lebatard-john-skipper-former-espn-colleagues-content-venture-dazn-kevin-mayer-streaming-1234668185/amp/

Something like this was probably the inevitable conclusion of what LeBatard's been building. The LAF network was basically the podcast version of Grantland - a self-contained group of people making content that was too different and too good to stay attached to ESPN, so they had to create their own company. Skipper seems to have been the only ESPN suit who ever believed in what LeBatard was doing, so good for them for reuniting.

• 2 weeks later...

NBCSN will go off the air at the end of the year:

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Does this include the regional channels too?  NBCSN Philly just laid a bunch more people off.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Does this include the regional channels too?  NBCSN Philly just laid a bunch more people off.

I hope not but all of their coverage is bare bones now, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know where the Flyers, Phillies, and Sixers games would go though.

6 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I hope not but all of their coverage is bare bones now, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know where the Flyers, Phillies, and Sixers games would go though.

The channel has sucked since it was rebranded from Comcast and they got rid of the SportsNite show, debate shows, and live non-game programming.  It used to be a channel I'd put on for reasons other than to watch a game, but now if it's not a game, it's just lousy infomercials. It's a shame - it was excellent once.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The channel has sucked since it was rebranded from Comcast and they got rid of the SportsNite show, debate shows, and live non-game programming.  It used to be a channel I'd put on for reasons other than to watch a game, but now if it's not a game, it's just lousy infomercials. It's a shame - it was excellent once.

Daily News Live was always nice discussion among sportswriters. I always enjoyed that show.

I don't think the NBCSN drop affects what was going to come with the NHL deal too much. Everybody was anticipating the next TV deal being NBC sharing it with one of ESPN or Fox, and basically now you're just swapping NBC/NBCSN plus ESPN or Fox/FS1 with NBC/USA plus ESPN or Fox/FS1.

Ditto for EPL, that's heading on a one way track behind the paywall to Peacock and everyone can see that coming a mile away.

NASCAR, though? That could get messy. Still another 3 years on that contract and it's not just your Sunday Cup Series race, you also have all the practices and qualifying plus Xfinity Series practices and qualifying as inventory. Tack on IndyCar and the other motorsports properties and.. well, here's your opening to bring back Speed Channel, Fox?

• Like 1

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

How many more rebrands can there be? Comcast SportsNet --> CSN --> NBC Sports in eight years is enough.

I think it looks pretty bad for the NHL to be on a lame-duck cable channel. The league getting booted from ESPN and everybody knowing it was one thing, but the entire channel shutting down around them is another. I hope they designate USA as the main channel for the Stanley Cup to get the loser stink off in time for next year.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

How many more rebrands can there be? Comcast SportsNet --> CSN --> NBC Sports in eight years is enough.

I think it looks pretty bad for the NHL to be on a lame-duck cable channel. The league getting booted from ESPN and everybody knowing it was one thing, but the entire channel shutting down around them is another. I hope they designate USA as the main channel for the Stanley Cup to get the loser stink off in time for next year.

Although not nearly as bad, it kind of reminds me of the days when the NHL was only on Sportschannel.