2016 NHL Playoffs, Rite of Spring: "You thought God was an architect"

ninersdd

This NHL playoff format is a joke.

This second round should have been Stars/Preds, Blues/Sharks, Caps/Isles, Lightning/Pens.

This NHL playoff format's overemphasis on divisions sucks. It's basically like Calgary/Edmonton in the 80s.

CHI/STL, DAL/STL, and WSH/PIT should be later in the playoffs.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we get a Nashville/Pittsburgh Cup FInal, I will not watch ONE second.

Save us, Tampa/San Jose/Stars Blues winner.

I don't want to live in a world where Phil Kessel or Mike Riberio is a CUp winner.

Comments like this I don't get:

353edjp.png

How do you know they "wanted it more?" How do you judge that? How does a coach get more "drive" from a team? Can we retire this old trope yet or is this destined to be here as long as the wheel in the sky keeps on turning?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

9 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

If we get a Nashville/Pittsburgh Cup FInal, I will not watch ONE second.

Save us, Tampa/San Jose/Stars Blues winner.

I don't want to live in a world where Phil Kessel or Mike Riberio is a CUp winner.

You'd  hate the Blues by game 2.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The elixir of numb is at the ready...

c1bf24285f3eefd092f618674a5a0c9b.jpg 

I know the Sharks will blow it, I know that their crap performances in the clutch will continue, and I must be absolutely numb. No more pain, no more joy, just numb. This franchise needs a rebuild, from the ground up. Marleau, Thornton, etc. all have to go for a proper "from the ground up" rebuild, painful as it may be to eject those guys.

JK, I won't be drinking the 190 proof stuff for the Sharks (I really am not all that into liquor). But who could blame me for starting a gimmick around it?

50 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

This NHL playoff format is a joke.

This NHL playoff format's overemphasis on divisions sucks. It's basically like Calgary/Edmonton in the 80s.

Yes it is.  But you know full well a top reason it was done was to try and force as many Pens - Caps series together as the league could.  

1 hour ago, oddball said:

Well let's see, the "experts" had Anaheim, Chicago, Washington, and probably even LA winning the Cup. Hmmm...

No one should have had Washington winning the Cup. Because, you know, Caps gonna Cap. 

1 hour ago, RedRenesis said:

Yes it is.  But you know full well a top reason it was done was to try and force as many Pens - Caps series together as the league could.  

The problem is that they are too early in the playoffs. Under this playoff format, you can't get any true organic playoff rivalries like Detroit-Colorado or Chicago-Vancouver.

In BOTH conference, the 1-2 seed are playing in round 2. Meanwhile, 6/7 in the West makes it to round 3.

Neither the Blues nor the Pens would have been the 2 seed in a Conference playoffs setup.  Point of order.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So for all this PENGUINS WERE THE BETTER TEAM DOWN THE STRETCH what does that say about their terrible start?

It's as if the Pens were better off playing badly the first few months then when Washington got off to a great start.

Again, this team was a DISASTER through the New Year. Since then, they've been the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Why bother playing hard from the start of the season? Just do what the Pens do- wait until around January to actually do something.

Remember, they won a Cup in 2009 despite not really doing anything great until Valentine's Day.

Go ANYONE but Pittsburgh/Nashville.

13 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

So for all this PENGUINS WERE THE BETTER TEAM DOWN THE STRETCH what does that say about their terrible start?

It's as if the Pens were better off playing badly the first few months then when Washington got off to a great start.

Again, this team was a DISASTER through the New Year. Since then, they've been the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Why bother playing hard from the start of the season? Just do what the Pens do- wait until around January to actually do something.

Remember, they won a Cup in 2009 despite not really doing anything great until Valentine's Day.

Doesn't matter how you start, only how you finish...

Props to the Penguins for a good series. They were clearly the better team over the six games and in the end deserved to win. Matt Murray was insane and at times IMO he and Letang were the only good Penguins players on the ice. There were definitely times when the Caps looked like they were outmanned. The one thing that stands out to me though is that several times, the Caps looked like they were simply out coached by Mike Sullivan. 

Oh well. Till next seasons playoff disappointment. 

And thanks to the Penguins fans here for winning with class. That goes a long way. 

Doesnt mean I'm rooting for them though. #anybodybutthepenguins

spacer.png

Even thought Dallas has game 7 home ice advantage tonight, this is a rare situation where there's more pressure on the road team to win tonight.

You feel like the Blues are under the gun more to make a deep run than the Stars.

Archived