FIVE

THUMP-THUMP

AT HOME

THUMP-THUMP

IN GAME SEVEN

*KILLER METAL RIFF \m/ \m/ *

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

And to think, all of us just a few weeks ago pretty much were saying BLOW UP THE BLUES if they lost that game 7 to Chicago.

All of us means you, I guess.  I mean, I wouldn't have been opposed to giving Hitchcock his walking papers, but the team itself was fine.

That said, I guess pandas can wreak a lot of havoc if they just start rolling down hills or something.

#TheTraditionIsStillOnHiatus

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:43 PM, SabresRule7361 said:

If we get a Nashville/Pittsburgh Cup FInal, I will not watch ONE second.

If this means you'll go into hibernation for a couple weeks, GO PENS! GO PERDS!

6uXNWAo.png

9 hours ago, The Six said:

So great to see the Blues' success so far. St. Louis is pure class, and their fanbase deserves this. The Predators should give them a good series.

I think I just...yes, I vomited all over myself.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Blues fell off the planet in the mid-2000s, get out of your own ass.

As did the 'Hawks. Both teams had the lowest attendance rates in the NHL at the time. At least for a few years after that the Blues sold out despite not being a Cup contender. The Blackhawks are only drawing their fan base so heavily because of the recent success. 

Attendance started turning around after the old man died. They had two-and-a-half seasons of solid attendance before the first championship. It's not as if no one showed up until the Cup was awarded. Get out with that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, Heitert said:

As did the 'Hawks. Both teams had the lowest attendance rates in the NHL at the time. At least for a few years after that the Blues sold out despite not being a Cup contender. The Blackhawks are only drawing their fan base so heavily because of the recent success. 

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

Attendance started turning around after the old man died. They had two-and-a-half seasons of solid attendance before the first championship. It's not as if no one showed up until the Cup was awarded. Get out with that.

^

Plus Wirtz's corpse wasn't cold when the team signed a deal to do this crazy new fad called, "televising home games," and "signing marquee free agents."  There was a TON of turnaround that made the franchise actually relevant in Chicago again, championships or not, the team would've had increased attendance based on new viewership, better marketing/promotion, and simply via the people managing the franchise giving a :censored:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I give Blackhawks fans a pass that I don't give Penguins fans. The Blackhawks' down period was longer, more hopeless, their owner was the most Scrooge owner in sports and their home games weren't on TV. Those fans had every right to protest that man ruining a prestige franchise. The Penguins just got bad for a little bit and everyone in the city forgot they had an NHL team until they were handed Crosby.

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I give Blackhawks fans a pass that I don't give Penguins fans. The Blackhawks' down period was longer, more hopeless, their owner was the most Scrooge owner in sports and their home games weren't on TV. Those fans had every right to protest that man ruining a prestige franchise. The Penguins just got bad for a little bit and everyone in the city forgot they had an NHL team until they were handed Crosby.

To be fair, Chicago fans didn't have to grip over their team possibly moving to Kansas City or Las Vegas like Pittsburgh fans had to during their down seasons.

6uXNWAo.png

11 minutes ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

Plot twist: I'm not a Blackhawks fan.

Don't worry about it.  Blues fans have one card to play, and they like playing it as often as possible.  Just ignore it.

twitter

The championships started coming along right at the perfect time when promotions picked up and games got televised. Part of my Ninety-Five Theses against the organization is how the fans got gift wrapped a stupidly great team when the perfect storm came together and on top of that, got spare times to come together in clutch wins not once but twice more. Should they have slugged through a few first round exists before finally winning in '15, I wouldn't be so envious. But alas, that's not how it worked out and I sincerely doubt the "sleeping giant" that was woken up in Chicago post 2010 was showing stupid road TV numbers during Dollar Bill days. I can't imagine many people in LaGrange were clamoring to watch Jocelyn Thibault. But whatever, that's for the hockey historians to debate.

As for the Sharks, considering they weren't even in the playoffs last year, I won't consider it a major letdown should Nashville pull the upset. Yes, I still think the Sharks are better on paper but I'm not going to double down on the "this year feels different" narrative that undid the Caps this year. They've already hit rock bottom, so any finish closer to a Cup is a small victory. I believe Thornton and Marleau have deals expiring next year, so maybe that'll be there swan song (see: Bettis, Jerome/Manning, Peyton).

Even if they win, the Blues, along with the Pens, seem to be getting the lucky bounces when they need them and despite the facts I posted last night, I'd be clenching every minute of every game should San Jose advance.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived