UEFA Euro 2016 Thread

lopernv

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's karma for the stupid red socks. It's the only explanation.

My actual opinion though, you can't just pick 11 players and throw them on the pitch and expect magic to happen. You need balance, structure and width when you play against 'smaller' teams who will sit back compact and be difficult to break down. To only take one winger and that winger be Raheem Sterling is criminal and we've paid the price. Not only that but we've sacrificed the aforementioned structure of the team to shoehorn in players out of position and it didn't work at any point.

There's been a lot of talk over here of why didnt Player X play, or Player Y has been terrible. In all honesty, I don't think it would have mattered if we had 5 Messi's and 5 Ronaldo's out there, we would have played just as bad using the system that Roy Hodgson implemented. See you all again in 2 years for a similar post about England's World Cup failure.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

6 hours ago, marble21 said:

It's karma for the stupid red socks. It's the only explanation.

My actual opinion though, you can't just pick 11 players and throw them on the pitch and expect magic to happen. You need balance, structure and width when you play against 'smaller' teams who will sit back compact and be difficult to break down. To only take one winger and that winger be Raheem Sterling is criminal and we've paid the price. Not only that but we've sacrificed the aforementioned structure of the team to shoehorn in players out of position and it didn't work at any point.

There's been a lot of talk over here of why didnt Player X play, or Player Y has been terrible. In all honesty, I don't think it would have mattered if we had 5 Messi's and 5 Ronaldo's out there, we would have played just as bad using the system that Roy Hodgson implemented. See you all again in 2 years for a similar post about England's World Cup failure.

Remembering that Man Coty paid £50m for him.

image.gif

spacer.png

Bring on the next dark horse.

I can't believe how good Sanches and W. Carvalho both are in the midfield, and Pepe has been MOTM for the past two matches... Unreal.

On May 30, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Finals

Germany-Poland: What could be the dawn of the next great football rivalry. Germany have too many holes and Lewnadowski will be motivated to beat his Bayern teammates. He'll be too much for Germany to handle. 

Awards:

Top scorer: Alvaro Morata (Spain)

Also in contention: Robert Lewandowski (Poland), Marko Arnautovic (Austria), Harry Kane (England)

Best player: Robert Lewandowski (Poland)

Also in contention: Marko Arnautovic (Austria), Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium)

image.gif

spacer.png

From the anthem,  going behind and keeping the Belgians out at crucial times THIS is the greatest night in Welsh football or even sporting history.Still can't believe the way we did it!

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

13 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Can you imagine a Wales-Iceland final

I think England would give up the sport. They're create a new sport. Called Englandball. Where any country named England automatically scores 50 goals every minute. Almost assuredly guaranteeing them a championship in something.

Wales have now won as many knockout games in the Euros in this tournament (2) than England have won in the Euros ever (1). 

Also the one game that England did win against Spain was on penalties at home. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

14 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

Wales have now won as many knockout games in the Euros in this tournament (2) than England have won in the Euros ever (1). 

Also the one game that England did win against Spain was on penalties at home. 

England has only won 1 Euro knock-out game ever?! :o

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

4 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

Yup. 

The only thing I can say to defend England is that besides this year against Iceland and in 1968 against Yugoslavia all of their knockout game losses have been on penalties. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

1 hour ago, Berlin Wall said:

Actually, no - it's even worse than that. We got past Spain at Euro 96 on penalties, but the record books will have that down as a draw - penalty shoot outs aren't used to decide the winner of the match, but rather who progresses.

We're really not very good, are we? :P However, there is a simple solution...

3 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

I think England would give up the sport. They're create a new sport. Called Englandball. Where any country named England automatically scores 50 goals every minute. Almost assuredly guaranteeing them a championship in something.

What we should do is just refuse to enter World Cups and European Championships because we came up with the game and so by default we're the best at it. Hey, that was our strategy up until the 1950s...

My brother told me that he can't root for England because they are the New York Yankees of the international soccer world. My reply was that it's an incorrect analogy because the Yankees has actually won things. All in jest, my English friends! :grin:

Archived