Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

Apparently the team name announcement has been delayed YET AGAIN and now will supposedly be dropped in November. Supposedly something to do with an adjustment to the logo.

Just come out with it Bill. Leads me to believe he was sold on Golden Knights and saw the negative kickback and now is abandoning it. If only he'd do the same with this Knights concept.

Texas.gif

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On September 19, 2016 at 2:04 PM, eRay said:

Has anyone discussed the possibility of the team being the Golden Knights or Silver Knights and wearing either White or Black? Blue Jackets wear blue. Blues wear blue. Red Wings wear red. Golden Knights wear black. It doesn't fit.

The Blackhawks wear red and it's seemed to work out pretty well for them. 

10 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Hard to believe the guy dropped a $500M expansion fee without thinking more about his branding beforehand.

Oh, he thought about it, but I don't think it ever occured to him that he wouldn't get his way with Black Knights.

At this point he's approaching Gollum levels of obsession with this Knights idea.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 9/19/2016 at 10:36 AM, CS85 said:

Night Owls would be pretty badass, really.  It's a famous painting, Las Vegas is a city defined by night life, and owls are found in and around the Las Vegas area, so it makes sense.

Definitely an underused moniker in sports.

I have a logo set ready for them to use

nightowlssecondary.png

https://dribbble.com/shots/2639600-Night-Owls-Secondary-Logos

PvO6ZWJ.png

The team has commitments (3 years or more) for 16,000 season tickets. Regardless of on-ice performance, and even if the team has some no-shows, they've kind of guaranteed fiscal solvency for at least the next 5 years. If this endeavor does fail, and they certainly have an uphill battle, I don't see a move happening for 15 years, based on their sales and early sponsor info.

Ugh, aside from the location and naming debacle, between the privately funded arena and the financial preparation, this has been a relatively well done process. I have to give them that, at least.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

While we wait...and wait...and wait...I thought that I'd take a crack at predicting what the uniforms might look like, based on Bill Foley's recent comments, and apparent uni trends from Adidas that we have seen during the WCoH.

Mr Foley has mentioned the following...
-a reference to "Red Rock", hinting at the addition of red to gold, black, and silver
-he's acknowledged the development of a unique sweater material that looks like a steel mesh.
-he's keen on the double-worded "Knights" name, but earlier stated a dislike of "Silver Knights"
-a vision of an "Excalibur"-like sword being pulled from a rock (Red Rock) in an opening ceremony.

From Adidas...
-minimal striping- more like blocks of colour on uniforms
-no waist or pants striping
-colours in logos don't necessarily need to match uniform stripe colours (NA23)
-I'm expecting an inter-twining letter logo. (seems to be popular with Adidas staff)
-high shoulder line with high arm numbers
-straight waist hem

So... I'm expecting that the name will be "Desert Knights". (The "Desert" will be dropped most of the time) Colours will be red, gold, black and silver.
I think we'll see a silver helmet that would be unique in the NHL. In keeping with the recent trend, "BATTLE BORN" (from the state flag) may be embroidered on the inside collar...

desert%20knights%2001.jpg

Each logo will contain all of the colours. I think we'll get a letter logo, as well as a logo with a reference to the sword-in-the-redstone, to go along with the primary. (I just re-coloured a couple of my previous logos for demonstration purposes). Striping will be minimal, with the predominant sweater colour of silver (the new "steel mesh" material). No red striping but spots of red in the logos on the chest, shoulder and pant leg.

desert%20knights%2002.jpg

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

The team has commitments (3 years or more) for 16,000 season tickets. Regardless of on-ice performance, and even if the team has some no-shows, they've kind of guaranteed fiscal solvency for at least the next 5 years. If this endeavor does fail, and they certainly have an uphill battle, I don't see a move happening for 15 years, based on their sales and early sponsor info.

Ugh, aside from the location and naming debacle, between the privately funded arena and the financial preparation, this has been a relatively well done process. I have to give them that, at least.

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

40 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Yeah, still not that bad. The track record isn't excellent, but the League has shown that non-traditional markets can be successful. Those markets weren't prepped to essentially sell out every game their first three seasons. Attendance doesn't matter, as much, they have the ticket money, even if people don't show.

Still, they're pretty much garuanteed to stay out of the bottom ten attendance, their first three years. That's a big step toward establishing longevity. The three "move-em, now" teams struggled even in their first few seasons. Fanbases can get past, and even embrace bad identities. Sure you'd rather not have that struggle, but it also can happen. 

My point, wise guy, was that if they are going to insist on another team in the desert, they're setting themselves up for success, in the financial aspect, about as well as they can. They're also starting on a much better foot than the Coyotes did. They've got a better shot at working, out the gate, and have bought themselves more time, before finances would dictate relocation or league intervention.

56 minutes ago, Morgo said:

So they're essentially going to be a Graphite version of the Coyotes

You're right Morgo. I was thinking more of a similarity to these...

na.jpg

But, the above look would be maybe too similar in cut to the 'Yotes. (especially the aways)

Archived