2016 NBA Offseason thread

Cujo

Chuck Klosterman was right. We do eventually become everything we hate.

image.png

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I can never have sympathy for Oklahoma City for obvious reasons, but it's still hard to feel good about this one. Now we have to deal with the NBA know-it-alls laughing about the angry rubes who are mad that their team's best player left when they should be appreciating greatness.

The NBA internet opinion on this is that GS gamed the system and we're all the worse for it. Plus that same audience turned on the Warriors last season because of moving screens and dick punches.

Lost in all of this is that Brandon Jennings just signed with the Knicks. One years, $5M. Watch out world.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Are there people who like the CBA and how it's changed how you can construct a team?  I know I've said this a million times, but it really seems like the most complicated system ever conceived, is easily gamed, and doesn't even come close to establishing parity between the haves and have nots like the NFL kinda sorta does.  

Compounding the issue is the NCAA one-and-done rule.  I remember watching drafts back in the early '90s when most of the 1st round was (supposed to be) impact players, and even second round guys could make teams and contribute.  Now you're drafting guys and with a few exceptions, hoping that they develop 3-4 years down the road (right when they can leave.)

I don't know if an NFL system with signing bonuses and non-guaranteed contracts is the answer, but some better system of fairly splitting revenue between teams and players that doesn't require a Sam Hinkie to interpret has to be implemented.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, pmoehrin said:

I'm not really looking for a literal comparison, so much as its pointing out that if the NBA were actually serious about maintaining competitive balance, a move like this would never happen.

I think most fans want to see a league where teams build through the draft and find plug ins through free agency. The NBA might be the one league where it may actually easier to win if you look to free agency to build the foundation of your roster and view the draft as a place where you fill in the missing pieces.

It sounds ass backwards, but in a league where LeBron James is arguably the most underpaid player, it makes perfect sense that the most undervalued commodity in the NBA is a true franchise player.

Stock pile all the picks you want. If I can go out and sign the guy you're hoping one of these picks turns into, it doesen't matter. That's why for all of Sam Hinkie's planning through the draft the Sixers kept getting steamrolled by teams who were active in the free agent market.

You're way off on this one. Ask Mark Cuban how free agency works out as the primary way to build a team. High-profile free agents aren't going to a team that doesn't already have talent on the roster.

Success in the NBA, like all other sports, always starts with the draft. Curry, Klay, and Green were all drafted by the Warriors. Free agency is what successful teams use to fill in the gaps around the talent they've drafted.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

20 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Success in the NBA, like all other sports, always starts with the draft. Curry, Klay, and Green were all drafted by the Warriors. Free agency is what successful teams use to fill in the gaps around the talent they've drafted.

Let's all remind our selves of the classy warriors "fans" and how far they have come.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

15 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Wasn't that over the Monta Ellis trade? That was though, arguably, the start of the ascension to the top.

Yes, I believe due to ellis being traded, the next year they got Curry? I dunno. Still pretty bad to see/hear fans booing their owner

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Eff that. Fans should always boo the team's owner. Most of them are terrible people.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 minutes ago, worcat said:

Yes, I believe due to ellis being traded, the next year they got Curry? I dunno. Still pretty bad to see/hear fans booing their owner

Monta and Curry played with each other for 2.5 years.

Fans were not only upset that a key to their, "we believe" Warriors was gone, but also as the amnesty was used on Charlie Bell due to his arrest as opposed to Biedrins.

This was also when Lacob was beginning to run his mouth about wanting a new SF arena and the fanbase wanted that billionaire brought up earlier today, Larry Ellison. Two months later, they announced their plans to move.

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

You're way off on this one. Ask Mark Cuban how free agency works out as the primary way to build a team. High-profile free agents aren't going to a team that doesn't already have talent on the roster.

I'm not saying every case where a team builds through free agency is guaranteed to work out. But I look at a team like the Heat and I would say they used the draft to fill the around the talent they got in free agency. Much the same could be said for the Cavs and its because LeBron James doesn't fill in gaps. LeBron James was not brought in to aid Kyrie Irving or Dwayne Wade, LeBron James was brought in to be THE GUY in both cases and Wade and Irving are now the "filler".

You say success starts with the NBA draft, I say it starts when you get a player like LeBron James, or Steph Curry, or Kevin Durant on the roster and ends when you lose them or they lose their effectiveness through injury, age or some combo of both. Doesen't matter how you land these players, so long as you land them. Only difference between now and years past is the ease by which you can do it through free agency. It used to be almost impossible. Now it's almost common.

Look at San Antonio. A team that's historically been as home grown as you can get, but look at their recent activity in the free agency market. David West, LaMarcus Aldridge, Pau Gasol. They get it. If you don't do something in the free agent market, you are going to fall behind the elite teams in the NBA very quickly, because when you have guys like LeBron James changing teams in free agency, it means 30 win teams can become NBA title contenders overnight by making one roster move. The only way to counter it is to sign someone who will improve your squad as well. Fail to do so and you will fall behind.

I think location has a little to do with it also. If you have the opportunity to build a super team in OKC or in GS, I'm sure more players would be willing to go to GS for location reason.

Same can be said about NYC, LA, Boston over Milwaukee, Memphis etc.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

If he was willing to move to Golden State, it's clear he had no faith in this current OKC Thunder squad ever winning a Championship. He doesn't think the team has it, even with him as the guy they build around. He figuratively admitted that his crew could not beat his big rival. So he takes the cheap-@$$ way out and joins his rival, in hopes of winning a ring in the cheapest way possible. He's trying to buy himself a ring.

It's like when you're playing NHL 2k16, you try to win the Stanley Cup by building an All-Star team that could knock down every pylon standing in your way. It's also like a first person shooter game on XBox where one online player bullies his way through opponents with an ammunition force 10 times more powerful than any other player has.

Y'all know very well that come playoff time, everyone in OKC will be pulling for whoever the Warriors will be facing, hoping KD fails.

On the bright side, at least the OKC Thunder won't be winning a Championship with that excuse of a logo anytime soon. :)

5 minutes ago, worcat said:

I think location has a little to do with it also. If you have the opportunity to build a super team in OKC or in GS, I'm sure more players would be willing to go to GS for location reason.

And that's a thing that really makes what happened to the sixers (for a long time - not just Hinkie) so tragic. Philadelphia should be in that top tier of destination basketball cities, or maybe second tier if you consider LA in its own tier. To some extent the Knocks are in the same boat. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 minutes ago, worcat said:

I don't think it does, I'm sure it does.

OKC had the cap space to get LeBron when he first became a free agent. Basketball wise I think it would have made the most sense. But if LeBron was going to leave Cleveland, it wasn't going to be to go to OKC. It was going to be a Miami, an LA, an NYC or he wasn't leaving Cleveland.

For teams like Memphis, Milwaukee, Utah, Minnesota, OKC it really puts them in danger of becoming little more than farm teams for the big market squads. Even if you're lucky enough to land a franchise player in the draft it still may not be enough to secure the long term future of your franchise. That's a scary proposition to face.

3 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

I don't think it does, I'm sure it does.

As a fan, I'm not a fan. 

Archived