2016 NBA Offseason thread

Cujo

4 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

I'm hearing sat me interesting talk about Ekpe Udoh and Larry Sanders possibly working their way to the Warriors now, as well. 

That seems... Odd? 

They need a cheap rim protector and have a small exemption of $2.9M.  David West or Zaza could fit too.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Durant is a coward. Time for people to stop bashing LeBron for The Decision, because that was nothing compared to this. LeBron was all on his own in Cleveland and left for a Miami team that found itself in mediocrity after 2006. The Big Three was never anywhere near as dominant as advertised, and LeBron ended up carrying them through the playoffs anyway. In contrast, Durant left a contender for a 73-win team that he just choked against a couple weeks ago. Short of what Kobe, Elway, Eli and Lindros pulled on draft day, it's hard to imagine a bigger bitch move in sports history.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

18 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Larry Ellison was thought of as a bidder in 2006 because of a now "Page Not Found" story he wrote when he was with the NY Daily News.

That said, Larry Ellison has been linked to nearly every NBA team for sale since like the Hornets, Warriors, and Grizzlies

I remember the Grizzlies rumors even after Ellison and when Robert Pera purchased the team. Pera is a Bay Area tech guy and there was the thought that he might have tried to move the Grizzlies to San Jose as well. 

5 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Durant is a coward. Time for people to stop bashing LeBron for The Decision, because that was nothing compared to this. LeBron was all on his own in Cleveland and left for a Miami team that found itself in mediocrity after 2006. Durant left a contender for a 73-win team that he frankly choked against in the playoffs. Short of what Kobe, Elway, Eli and Lindros pulled on draft day, it's hard to imagine a bigger bitch move in sports history.

How would you feel if Durant had signed with the Clippers?

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

This is the first I've heard about moving a team to San Jose, but I doubt the NBA would bless a move to a market that already includes Sacramento and Golden State (and if they're not the same market, maybe someone can explain the shifting allegiances to those teams based on who's good at the moment). In any event, Bennett was looking for a free arena, about 10 years after the region paid for a renovation to the Key that was supposed to guarantee the Sonics remaining in Seattle for good. And the region had just paid for Safeco and the Seahawks stadium. Context matters.

Not going to go into too much details, but I was a fly on the wall with conversations between city leaders and Bennett's team. They were floating options for a new arena. But the options were clearly bull :censored:; I have the handouts in my office that show they rely on almost 100% public financing, which, again, the city wasn't going to do.

So no, Bennett never gave Seattle a chance. That's pretty much accepted by everyone by now.

Agreed. That San Jose rumor is probably in that book only to make the fans in OKC feel less bad about rooting for the team (based on that Larry Ellison link dfwabel posted earlier). I remember the last game of the 2012 NBA Finals, when one of the commentators praised the brilliant ownership of Bennett. I felt like I wanted to vomit the minute I heard it. Since then, I dreaded the thought of Bennett wearing a championship ring on his finger. Until there's an expansion franchise in Seattle, I will always root against the Thunder.

Before you want to call me a hypocrite for my allegiances, expansion teams replaced all of the relocated teams I follow.

50 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Another comparison is the Shaq/Kobe Lakers signing Payton and Malone, though as I recall, those two signed for veteran minimums, or close to it. The max contract/cap situation is all messed up this season (and next), and we're clearly headed for a labor crisis in the not-too-distant future. However, I do think these Warriors are perhaps more analogous to the 2014 Seahawks being able sign so many of their guys because Russell Wilson was on such a team-friendly contract.

I'm not really looking for literal comparison, so much as its pointing out that if the NBA were actually serious about maintaining competitive balance, a move like this would never happen.

The NBA has always been a league where if you don't have one of the top five players on the league on your roster it is really hard to win an NBA title. If you don't have anyone in the top ten on your team, it's virtually impossible.

Fair enough. Golden State now has two of the top four players (Durant/Steph), three of the top ten (Draymond) and four of the top 20 (Klay).

No one else can compete, short of some fool taking the veterans exemption with Cleveland (LeBron is top 1, Kyrie top 10, Tristan and Love top 25).

So, I don't know. The Heat only won two of four. Steph is kind of garbage in the playoffs. Durant's feet may fall off yet. Anything can happen.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Maybe a guy in the prime of his life didn't want to come to work every day in Oklahoma City? Maybe he wanted a little more from life? Is the issue with GS specifically, or just that he left OKC?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

25 minutes ago, DarkJourney said:

How would you feel if Durant had signed with the Clippers?

It was never going to happen, but I'd be fine with it and I'd argue most NBA fans would be too. The Clippers aren't anywhere near as good as the Warriors, and bringing a title to one of the most long-suffering franchises in sports would have been a great PR move for his legacy.

If Durant had signed with literally any other team he met with, there wouldn't be this much outrage among NBA fans. There'd be some grumbling of course, there always is, but it wouldn't be this bad. Durant leaving OKC isn't the issue, it's the team he chose.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Fair enough. Golden State now has two of the top four players (Durant/Steph), three of the top ten (Draymond) and four of the top 20 (Klay).

No one else can compete, short of some fool taking the veterans exemption with Cleveland (LeBron is top 1, Kyrie top 10, Tristan and Love top 25).

So, I don't know. The Heat only won two of four. Steph is kind of garbage in the playoffs. Durant's feet may fall off yet. Anything can happen.

On paper they might be a sub 5 loss team and the crowned champions, but they still have to play the game. I expect them to do well but I don't think they are matching last year's record nor do I think they winning the NBA championship. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I wasn't expecting to see this as the first thing I woke up to, but I'm still in a bit of shock of Durant going to Oakland.  Outside of a couple examples (maybe like the 70s Knicks or the Showtime Lakers), I can't really remember a time where you'll have a collection of four or more All-Star players playing together IN THEIR PRIMES.  To me, the Warriors have now set themselves up for a "win or this season was failure" MO...they essentially put the pressure on themselves to win the title.  Meanwhile, the Cavaliers can just sit back and take care of business without the added pressure a defending champion has to deal with going into the following year.

31 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Is the Northwest division now the worst in the league? Who wins it? I think anyone outside Denver has a legitimate shot.

I think as long as Westbrook stays healthy, it's still the Thunder's division to lose.  It's either them or Portland, with maybe Utah sneaking up from behind.  The Wolves will be much improved, but I don't think they're there quite yet...they're probably a 35-45 win team at this point.

Durant's signing with the Warriors is one of the reasons why it's hard for me to follow the NBA nowadays. It feels like someone is always trying to form a super-team and sheer dominance from the said team always takes the fun out of it for me.

Poor Dwyane Wade. Not really, but you know.

FWIW, I don't begrudge Durant going to OKC. Careers are finite and it's probably more fun to win titles than not win them. Ask guys like Barkley or Ewing if they wish they had joined a super friends teams and I bet the answer would be yes. (And Barkley tried in 1996; it just didn't work out.)

I'm more upset with the Joe Lacob buying a team with a generational talent on a discount thinking that made him a genius. So much luck goes into sports and the Warriors are awash in it these days. Good for them and their fans, but I'm neither of those and I'm a little salty about it.

The worst part about watching the Warriors is how inevitable they feel. Now they just got even more inevitable. Maybe they go for 75 wins. Maybe they sweep the playoffs. Anything is possible, in large part because of a low contract to Steph and a glitch in the cap. Again, good for the Warriors, but too bad for the rest of us.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived