NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Imagine a team called the New York Red Bulls or something!

One reason I'm not a soccer fan. :wink2:

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 5/14/2017 at 5:03 AM, mr.nascar13 said:

Tweet courtesy of Conrad:

Without the LA Clippers logo for reference, I'm not sure this Ontario logo would read very clearly as a basketball.

I wonder if the Wizards are emphasizing their stars & stripes alts during the playoffs because they plan to declare them as new primaries as soon as the league permits.  Not necessarily because the alts are a superior or more popular design than the current primaries (reasonable minds can differ), but because the current primaries' design is not as conducive to placing a sponsor logo in upper left corner, due to the horizontal stripe. 

A thought.

29 minutes ago, EvilChameleon said:

Apparently the Cavs are also getting completely new uniforms next season as well as the patches?

Yes, they're getting new uniforms. All the information I've heard indicates that it's mainly pretty small changes, but I can't confirm that.

*Edit: Looks like navy is sticking around in the redesigned logos and uniforms. From the Cavs' press release on the partnership with Goodyear:

IMG_4148.PNG.182b954534102627f041c1c487025286.PNG

Notice there's no mention of the alternate uniforms. They must wanna keep us guessing as to how many alternates there will be, and what color they'll be.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

31 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Yes, they're getting new uniforms. All the information I've heard indicates that it's mainly pretty small changes, but I can't confirm that.

*Edit: Looks like navy is sticking around in the redesigned logos and uniforms. From the Cavs' press release on the partnership with Goodyear:

IMG_4148.PNG.182b954534102627f041c1c487025286.PNG

Notice there's no mention of the alternate uniforms. They must wanna keep us guessing as to how many alternates there will be, and what color they'll be.

Keeping the navy, good move. 

Looks like teams are trying to at least keep the ads tame on the uniforms, minus Brooklyn...

32 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

That logoset is better than the LA Clippers one...geez.

The tacked on "of Ontario" is dumb.

This is stupid.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

I'd imagine that Nike would encourage the Cavs change up the the three-stripe trim.  The stripes aren't the standard weight used by Adidas on their ubiquitous (and trademarked) pattern, but it's probably still too close for Nike's tastes.

39 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

I'm surprised navy is still around for the Cavs. I thought they would replace it with black.

While I'm not behind the weird obsession to stick with navy, I'm glad they aren't swapping for black. 

If they just went straight wine and gold it'd be better, but I'll wait and see with these adjustments. Feel a little lucky that though I hate ads on jerseys, this was the best possible scenario as it's local and less invasive than others.

5 minutes ago, keynote said:

I'd imagine that Nike would encourage the Cavs change up the the three-stripe trim.  The stripes aren't the standard weight used by Adidas on their ubiquitous (and trademarked) pattern, but it's probably still too close for Nike's tastes.

Could be, but it's not necessarily Nike's call. When the NFL switched to Nike, the Patriots were able to retain their white socks with the three stripes:IMG_4149.thumb.JPG.2fd25010ae78b6a432aaeb66b70da142.JPG

The Patriots didn't make any changes to their uniforms, so it's not exactly the same situation, but still. If the Cavs wanted to keep the three-stripe trim as part of their new set, Nike would be obliged to go along with it. It really just depends on the Cavs' desires and how much liberty they were willing to give Nike during the design process (assuming Nike had any say at all about the general design, which isn't a given). It was surely a collaborative effort with Nike, at the very least to figure out how the new design would work on Nike's templates, but that doesn't necessarily mean Nike had any say in the actual design itself.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

28 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Is the blue on original Wingfoot royal or navy?

It's navy. They're rendered in the team colors of wine, gold (yellow), and navy, rather than Goodyear's signature yellow and royal. 

IMG_4148.PNG.0b45fef24842533736bd8f5e70618795.PNG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

12 hours ago, GMW79 said:

And it's the way things are going. Corporate arena names? Check. Ads on everything including jerseys? Check. What else can be used to advertise? The team name, of course! The 2025 Eastern Conference finals: featuring the GE Celtics vs. the Stub Hub 76ers! I just hope the Little Caesars Pistons can officially unveil their logo in a timely manner...

Just another step closer to a Rollerball reality.

Archived