NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

Warning, unpopular opinion incoming.

I'm not a huge fan of those Lions throwbacks, or of any Lions color scheme using only Honolulu blue and silver. I've always felt that there is too little contrast between the colors, especially on the numbers. I've always felt the silver numbers on a blue background need some kind of an outline, which is one role where having black as a tertiary color really helped Detroit's look. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I'm not a huge fan of those Lions throwbacks, or of any Lions color scheme using only Honolulu blue and silver. I've always felt that there is too little contrast between the colors, especially on the numbers. I've always felt the silver numbers on a blue background need some kind of an outline, which is one role where having black as a tertiary color really helped Detroit's look. 

I don't disagree at all.. I actually liked the previous look

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, orangefaniniowa said:

Them and the Packers as well.  Let’s face it this Reebok template is getting old and hardly anyone uses it anymore.  I don’t understand why Green Bay and Carolina still uses it, maybe for sentimental reasons, I don’t know.  They could work with Nike and use the new template without having to do any drastic changes to the jersey itself.  It’s likely too late to do something about it this upcoming season, but let’s hope for some change next year and beyond.

It wasn't the "Reebok template." It was the "football jersey template." 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, andrewharrington said:

This is actually what I’ve always envisioned for the Lions. Throw that stripe on the pants, ditch the outlines from the lion, and maybe customize the numbers a little (similar to how the Jags approached theirs) or use the current ones in solid silver, and this is absolute gold, in my opinion (or silver, as it may be).

That does sounds good. Or better yet, just go back to the Barry Sanders set and improve over that look in every way.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

11 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

I agree with you that the throwbacks should stay as throwbacks, worn once a year on Thanksgiving. In addition to being low-contrast, the look is a little too simple and traditional for a team wearing silver with a dynamic, leaping lion as the logo.

That said, I think their current primary home and road uniforms do a nice job of establishing enough contrast, and I really like that they ditched the black. The darker gray keyline around the numbers on the home jersey gives just enough contrast and pop, and high contrast is less important than it used to be now that everyone has huge HD TVs. And the road uniform is the perfect balance of blue and silver. I think they're now arguably a top-5 uniform in the league.

835655726-new-york-jets-v-detroit-lions.Detroit-Lions-vs-Minnesota-Vikings-Predi

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

30 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

And the road uniform is the perfect balance of blue and silver. I think they're now arguably a top-5 uniform in the league.

Not so long as they continue to wear yoga pants.

30 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

Detroit-Lions-vs-Minnesota-Vikings-Predi

Socks should never match the pants.  Gray or white, Lions, those are the choices.

And then there's all that text on what passes for sleeves nowadays.  I like the Lions' uniforms, but they still have significant problems. 

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

Detroit-Lions-vs-Minnesota-Vikings-Predi

They’d be as close to perfect as I’d need them to be if they dumped the blue pants. Blue pants and socks are so bottom heavy against a silver helmet and white jersey. It really strips the classic, industrial look right out. I have this silly hope that Patricia is the kind of guy who’d try silver pants with the roadies, but the blue yoga pants swag is probably to strong.

It hurts: the Vikings and Lions are divisional mates and both have some of my favorite Nike redesigns. However, when they play each other, one of them is forced to wear yoga pants because thats what they insist upon for some reason.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Not so long as they continue to wear yoga pants.

Socks should never match the pants.  Gray or white, Lions, those are the choices.

And then there's all that text on what passes for sleeves nowadays.  I like the Lions' uniforms, but they still have significant problems. 

Let’s be honest. White is the only choice because gray socks are not, nor should they ever be, a thing. :lol:

Same goes for gold socks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, Gupti said:

They’d be as close to perfect as I’d need them to be if they dumped the blue pants. Blue pants and socks are so bottom heavy against a silver helmet and white jersey. It really strips the classic, industrial look right out. I have this silly hope that Patricia is the kind of guy who’d try silver pants with the roadies, but the blue yoga pants swag is probably to strong.

It hurts: the Vikings and Lions are divisional mates and both have some of my favorite Nike redesigns. However, when they play each other, one of them is forced to wear yoga pants because thats what they insist upon for some reason.

Some guys wore white socks last year with the blue pants and it looked great, I would love if they made it their official road look with the blue pants.872d62a963644ccb88dd35df8aef64d8.jpg14ab30a3099c4a778ef8ead8d4c8259f.jpg

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

Striped white socks desperately need to make a comeback. They could solve so many yoga pants looks on the road instantly. The Lions, Vikings, Bills, and Titans are just some teams off the top off my head that could improve their road uniforms immensely. 

The Lions with white socks and the blue northwestern stripe on them would be incredible. A silver northwestern stripe on the home blue socks would look great too. I am all for more sock stripes all throughout the league.

5 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

I agree with you that the throwbacks should stay as throwbacks, worn once a year on Thanksgiving. In addition to being low-contrast, the look is a little too simple and traditional for a team wearing silver with a dynamic, leaping lion as the logo.

That said, I think their current primary home and road uniforms do a nice job of establishing enough contrast, and I really like that they ditched the black. The darker gray keyline around the numbers on the home jersey gives just enough contrast and pop, and high contrast is less important than it used to be now that everyone has huge HD TVs. And the road uniform is the perfect balance of blue and silver. I think they're now arguably a top-5 uniform in the league.

835655726-new-york-jets-v-detroit-lions.Detroit-Lions-vs-Minnesota-Vikings-Predi

I disagree with every "now we have HDTV's" argument ever.. For a number of reasons..

1. It doesn't fix the problem for those in the stadium, who, during the actual game, are the ones who matter most..

2. Yes, a lot of folks have HDTV's, but not everybody - and I'd argue that a large number of people end up watching at sports bars and other public locations that use projectors as often as tv's, and the projectors are lower definition than standard tv's..

3. The fact that "newer/better technology" makes a sub-par design "good enough" is NEVER good enough imo.. The design should be strong enough and stand out enough in all scenarios and situations that could be encountered.. Not just for those with expensive fancy tv's..

4. Film review is done from a separate set of cameras, and even if they're HD cameras, they're capturing specific angels and large groups of players (either all 22 players in the wide copy, or the 15-or-so players in the "box" in the tight copy.. The coaches aren't using the zoomed-in-on-one-player video that we get at our houses.. They need to have a clear, easily-identifiable number to break down film on a weekly basis.. "Good enough thanks to HDTV's" isn't "good enough" in this case..

Their white jerseys are fine, but for the blue jerseys, that darker grey outline on the light grey number does as much to muddle up the numbers as it does to help, depending on lighting and angle, etc.. It's also why the shiny, metallic silver numbers of the past were superior.. The "white" reflective light helped lighten the numbers up a bit.. It's also one reason I liked their previous set.. The white numbers provided optimum contrast.. These flat grey numbers with dark grey outline are ok at best, but nowhere near the white or even lighter, shinier silver of the past..

4 hours ago, WavePunter said:

4. Film review is done from a separate set of cameras, and even if they're HD cameras, they're capturing specific angels

Watch out Mike Trout!

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I disagree with every "now we have HDTV's" argument ever.. For a number of reasons..

1. It doesn't fix the problem for those in the stadium, who, during the actual game, are the ones who matter most..

2. Yes, a lot of folks have HDTV's, but not everybody - and I'd argue that a large number of people end up watching at sports bars and other public locations that use projectors as often as tv's, and the projectors are lower definition than standard tv's..

3. The fact that "newer/better technology" makes a sub-par design "good enough" is NEVER good enough imo.. The design should be strong enough and stand out enough in all scenarios and situations that could be encountered.. Not just for those with expensive fancy tv's..

4. Film review is done from a separate set of cameras, and even if they're HD cameras, they're capturing specific angels and large groups of players (either all 22 players in the wide copy, or the 15-or-so players in the "box" in the tight copy.. The coaches aren't using the zoomed-in-on-one-player video that we get at our houses.. They need to have a clear, easily-identifiable number to break down film on a weekly basis.. "Good enough thanks to HDTV's" isn't "good enough" in this case..

Their white jerseys are fine, but for the blue jerseys, that darker grey outline on the light grey number does as much to muddle up the numbers as it does to help, depending on lighting and angle, etc.. It's also why the shiny, metallic silver numbers of the past were superior.. The "white" reflective light helped lighten the numbers up a bit.. It's also one reason I liked their previous set.. The white numbers provided optimum contrast.. These flat grey numbers with dark grey outline are ok at best, but nowhere near the white or even lighter, shinier silver of the past..

The point of the HDTV argument is that today's uniforms don't have to accommodate for the lower quality image of older TVs with any unnecessary razzle dazzle in the design. This is for uniforms that look good in person in the first place. The high definition allows you to enjoy it the same as if you were in person. That's the point of HD.

3 hours ago, daveindc said:

The point of the HDTV argument is that today's uniforms don't have to accommodate for the lower quality image of older TVs with any unnecessary razzle dazzle in the design. This is for uniforms that look good in person in the first place. The high definition allows you to enjoy it the same as if you were in person. That's the point of HD.

But the issue is that the HDTV argument is only ever used to defend weaker design choices (like colored numbers on colored jerseys).. Nothing can defend a poor design choice, and while silver numbers are acceptable on a colored jersey, Honolulu blue isn't the best base for contrast with silver numbers, and the dark grey outline doesn't help matters, regardless of tv definition quality.. A better silver for the numbers, white numbers, or a white outline would all be preferable to what they are doing 

Archived