XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

Just for fun, here is my XFL + AAF Ranking.

Since the AAF only really put out solid home uniforms, I will only compare the primary look of each team.  XFL gets bonus points for starting out with 2 uniforms per team. 

1. Arizona Hotshots (AAF)-- Unique colors, great tie in with actual Hotshot firefighters, loved the initials hidden in the striping and the logo is great.  Only negative-- Logo is only on 1 side of helmet. 

2.  Orlando Apollos (AAF)-- Great colors, unique use of oversized helmet logo, white on white works in Florida, and solid number font.  All around nice. 

3.  DC Defenders (XFL)-- Hard to really screw up a 1 color uniform, but they did not go overboard on stripes or on lightning bolts.  I would prefer white pants with the red jersey, but they have that ability if they choose to. 

4.  San Diego Fleet (AAF)-- Love the logo, love the 2 grey + yellow color scheme and the use of the chevrons on jersey and pants.  My only complaint is that the metallic decals should be replaced with a more satin/matte logo on the helmets.  The glare made the logo hard to read. 

5.  NY Guardians (XFL)-- A really solid, pseudo-traditional uniform.  The lack of TV numbers bugs me and I am still not sold on shoulder stripes when they cannot wrap around (see Indy Colts vs. Carolina Panthers).  But the best helmet in the XFL and a pretty solid uniform too. 

6.  San Antonio Commanders (AAF)-- Unique color combo that really works.  Jerseys and pants were not too complicated or too literal (no swords on pants).  Love the 2 tone helmet with the Alamo, again made worse with the 1-logo/1-numbers system the AAF seemed to like. 

7.  Dallas Renegades (XFL)-- I love the helmet, the whole design works, but with another 2 teams using black, I would have swapped the light blue and the black on most items (Jersey, yoke, pants) to really stand out. 

8.  Seattle Dragons (XFL)-- Love the 3 colors in combination, good balance.  Absolutely unneeded side panels on jersey.  Not loving the helmet either.  The swooping Dragon could have taken up more of the back of the helmet in the style of the MIchigan Panthers.  Team needs a secondary logo for the sleeves. 

9.  Memphis Express (AAF)-- Solid use of a 2-tone helmet, great side panels on pants and jersey.  Kept mostly simple and strong color balance of red & blue. 

10.  Atlanta Legends (AAF)-- I like the color combo, the use of metallic gold, the simple crown logo (though adding some white to the gold would have helped).  Not a huge fan of the ATL along the jersey.  That would have been a cool element to add to the helmet stripe instead. 

11.  St. Louis Battlewings (XFL)-- The logos on the helmet are way too big.  Smaller wings would have looked quite a bit better.  Jerseys missed an opportunity to use the sleeves to mirror the St. Louis Arch, and I am not sure the navy really helps the way they use it.  Would have liked to see more silver in the entire design. 

12.  Houston Roughnecks (XFL)-- I like the general idea, but again unneeded side panels mean you cannot mix the pants with the jerseys.  Had it just been sleeves in Red/Blue it would work better.  They have a secondary logo, why not use it?  Helmet is a very metallic tone, but the pants are dull grey.  That does not work.  Try to get metallic pants or go with a duller helmet grey/silver. 

13.  Birmingham Iron (AAF)-- Actually a pretty solid design except for the helmet.  No logo?  Really?  You have a perfectly good logo that would work well on the black helmet, why not use it?

14. Tampa Bay Vipers (XFL)-- So close, but so far.  1. Drop the sidepanel on the jersey.  It does not align with the pants at all.  2. Drop the helmet stripes and change the facemask to the dark green.  3. Sawp the snake logo for the V logo on the helmet and jersey.  4. Wear white pants with green jersey and vice versa.  There, fixed. 

15.  Salt Lake Stallions (AAF)-- That shade of blue is too light to go on a silver helmet.  And are we really supposed to see a horse's main on the helmet?  Why not just use the full logo so you get both blues on the helmet.  Then with the uniform, use the 2 blues more and the grey less (another case of flat grey uniforms with shiny metal silver helmet. Until metallic pants come back, this will always be a problem.)

16.  LA Wildcats (XFL)-- Just bad.  A 3rd black-dominant team, and why?  Would it kill either of these leagues to have a team with a tropical color.  Go with orange jerseys, throw some color into it.  I am also not a fan of colored numbers on a dark jersey, and the orange/red numbers do not work at all on this jersey.  Again with unneeded side panels, and in this case the pant stripes are also a problem.  The whole thing is just sloppy and trying too hard (overcompensating for not having a real wildcat logo?)  It's a hot mess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WideRight said:
4 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

TheReplacements-Still6.jpg?partner=allmo

what I think of when I see Houston...they look like Nike came in and made a horrible update of these unis 

These are actually really solid uniforms.  Had the XFL imitated these (and the others from the film) they would be better off. 

This is how New York's sleeve stripes should look.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

8 hours ago, Volt said:

Quick Photoshops, but this is what Houston SHOULD have looked like, not Dallas.  Would choose a bolder number font, i'm just using what 3-color font is currently available with Nike Team in their builder for illustration purposes.  Ditto with team name font which ideally would match the logo wordmark if designed properly.  Their helmet (current Dallas) is an absolute stunner so that would remain unchanged.  If the logo was too much like the Oilers with this color scheme and needed to be avoided legally, I would've just kept the Renegade logo but put it here and have the Houston Renegades.  On the Light Blue pants, there would be a solid Black side panel.  On the White pants, there would be a solid Light Blue panel. A single, thin 1" red line could potentially be added to those side panels to give a unique pant stripe look and a bit more color pop on the pant and tie into the sleeve/sleeve band color balance.

bGL4pN2.jpgZJh6jwy.jpghaGPDs4.jpg

What site did you use for this?

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

I had posted that I thought things were looking good after New York, but I’d posted too soon. With the exception of St. Louis, most of what came after was a bit of a disappointment. Just seemed like circa 2008 click and fill templates for the most part. Oh well.

I think it’s pretty clear to me who the winners in the reveal are. New York, St. Louis, and DC are all big standouts to me, with New York I think being the top. I still can’t get over how great their helmet is.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 hours ago, Volt said:

Looking at this again today, it irks me even more how similar all of the number fonts are.  Amateur hour!

3 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Looks like they started with the DC font and slightly tweaked it for every other team.

Let's see. We have sans serif, we have serif. We have no outlines, we have outlines. We have thin, we have thick. We have rounded, we have sharp edges. We have light with dark outlines, we have dark with light outlines. We have angular, we have soft turns.

Yup, they're all the same!!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I think it’s pretty clear to me who the winners in the reveal are. New York, St. Louis, and DC are all big standouts to me, with New York I think being the top. I still can’t get over how great their helmet is.

The New York helmet logo is great.  But the logo doesn't really stand out on the black helmet.  The helmet, when you look at it, appears simply to have three stripes.

Image result for new york guardians helmet

You have to stare pretty intensely in order to make out the lion's face.

I think the helmet should be grey, and should feature the outlined logo.

imagined-guardians-helmet.png

There the lion's head really stands out.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The New York helmet logo is great.  But the logo doesn't really stand out on the black helmet.  The helmet, when you look at it, appears simply to have three stripes.

Image result for new york guardians helmet

You have to stare pretty intensely in order to make out the lion's face.

I think the helmet should be grey, and should feature the outlined logo.

imagined-guardians-helmet.png

There the lion's head really stands out.

Agreed 100%.  They should have Houston's helmet with a Black faceguard.  Grey helmet, Black jersey, Grey pants would've been super good.  Also would look great with the mono-grey away set.

• Like 1