Jump to content

Championship matchups you wish we got?


ozzyman314
 Share

Recommended Posts

World Series, SuperBowl, Stanley Cup, etc.  

Probably something that has been talked ad nauseam, but I'm still curious. 

 

e.g. Super Bowl XLV: Jets vs. Bears - Mainly for the hilariousity factor. 2 teams that have been a joke for the past few decades facing each other in a Super Bowl. 

Super Bowl XLII: Patriots vs. Packers - Mainly because we never got a great Brady vs. Favre game. 

 

2001 World Series: Mariners vs. D-Backs - Best team the Mariners had during the KG jr era, would have been nice to see them go all the way after setting that win record. Also Nintendo owning a championship sports team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

Super Bowl XLII: Patriots vs. Packers - Mainly because we never got a great Brady vs. Favre game.  

Plus if the Packers won, Favre probably retires. Favre was really the only other QB I wanted to see "go out like Elway". Something about seeing Favre play for the Jets and Vikings just seemed wrong to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just know he was a joke in the early 00s and cost his team as many as he won. Gave away their playoff game in the 4th and 26 game in 03. Turnover machine (I mean... GUNSLINGER!!!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I just know he was a joke in the early 00s and cost his team as many as he won. Gave away their playoff game in the 4th and 26 game in 03. Turnover machine (I mean... GUNSLINGER!!!)

I thought we were talking about Favre? Not Tony Romo.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

I thought we were talking about Favre? Not Tony Romo.  

 

Im not being THAT hard on Favre - even I wouldn’t disrespect him with a comparison like that. 

 

Did Romo even win one playoff game? I can’t recall any. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super Bowl XLIV Jets v Vikings: this one is a personal matchup I wish happened because I had a friend in High School who’s a Vikings fan and we loved the idea that both our favorite teams could be in the Super Bowl. Unfortunelty both lost in the conference championship so it didn’t happen. 

 

2003 World Series Cubs v Red Sox: now it doesn’t have the same appeal because they both broke their curses but back then, this would’ve been awesome! Two teams with World Series Championship droughts that go back nearly a century? Man, this would’ve been a 7 game classic. Instead we get Marlins-Yankees (eww). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

2001 World Series: Mariners vs. D-Backs - Best team the Mariners had during the KG jr era, would have been nice to see them go all the way after setting that win record. Also Nintendo owning a championship sports team. 

Griffey had already left the team, I don't count 2001 as part of his "era".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Griffey had already left the team, I don't count 2001 as part of his "era".

LOL I forget. 

He's one of those guys so synonymous with a particular team, you forget he played for other teams. 

 

7 minutes ago, insert name said:

2003 World Series Cubs v Red Sox: now it doesn’t have the same appeal because they both broke their curses but back then, this would’ve been awesome! Two teams with World Series Championship droughts that go back nearly a century? Man, this would’ve been a 7 game classic. Instead we get Marlins-Yankees (eww). 

Damn Steve Bartman & Grady Little:mad:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

Did Romo even win one playoff game? I can’t recall any. 

 

2009 against Philadelphia, and 2014 against Detroit.

 

2014 World Series; San Francisco vs. Toronto. We'd have complete polar opposites in terms of venues. The beautiful backdrop of San Francisco and McCovey Cove, versus the possible backdrop of the CN Tower at night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1991 NBA Finals: Bulls vs. Blazers.  I know they played in 92, but the Blazers weren't as good that year (even so, they were the only team in the 90's to have a double digit lead in Chicago in the fourth quarter of Game 6 or 7 of a playoff series. The 90's Knicks, 93 Suns, 95 and 96 Magic, 97 and 98 Jazz, and 98 Pacers can't make that claim).

 

2000 NBA Finals: Pacers vs. Blazers.  That's what we should have had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Browns vs Giants. Super Bowl XXI. I think the Browns defense could have stuffed Phil Simms and it would have been interesting to see what Mack and Byner could have done against the Giants defense. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Browns vs Giants. Super Bowl XXI. I think the Browns defense could have stuffed Phil Simms and it would have been interesting to see what Mack and Byner could have done against the Giants defense. 

and the Browns would not have moved (or what ever the NFL says)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Were people dying for a Brady v favre game? Favre was past his prime while Brady was just coming into his. I wouldn’t call them contemporaries. 

It was Favre's last year with the Pack, and for a moment seemed like his last in football. Maybe if the Giants had been bludgeoned to death in the Super Bowl it'd feel more like a missed opportunity. 

 

23 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

2009 NBA Finals. We got Lakers vs Magic. Wanted Lakers vs Cavaliers... but more so Kobe vs LeBron. Those Nike Puppet commercials that year were great

Kobe vs. LeBron seemed like it was a certainty. Maybe it was just the puppet commercials and the buzz around the possibility of that matchup, but it felt inevitable in the way the Cavs vs. Warriors has felt lately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.