Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

As MLS has shown, single-entity does not preclude individual team ownership any more than a co-op precludes individual home ownership.

The difference is that the AAF owns and operates its teams.  At some point, the league will have to drop that second part and allow outside owners to purchase shares in the league commensurate with the value of their team. 

Would he be a good choice for Detroit?  They certainly seem to covet his celebrity, naturally enough, but ask the arena league how successful it was selling a team to KISS. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, GDAWG said:

A Detroit franchise in the AAF could be interesting.

Could they afford the rent in Ford Field?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

Could they afford the rent in Ford Field?

Probably not and seeing that San Diego @ Arizona drew under 10,000 fans this past Sunday as one of the other posters predicted going forward the survival of the AAF will be determined whether teams can draw at least 10,000 per game.

7 hours ago, Pauly said:

Probably not and seeing that San Diego @ Arizona drew under 10,000 fans this past Sunday as one of the other posters predicted going forward the survival of the AAF will be determined whether teams can draw at least 10,000 per game.

The number of fans is a problem, but the price per ticket is a more glaring issue.  In the lowly attended cities, only the lowest priced seats (endzone seats) are occupied. They have devalued themselves to a $10-15/seat league.  Even at 10,000 fans per game, which is 50% lower than expectations of local management, that won't cover your costs.  They may hope that TV covers player and coach payroll, but the other folks?  The administrative staff would still be on the Dundon bankroll.

Well the AAF has to understand discretionary income and how there's only so much of it to go around. And while sports does make up a good portion of that income they should have thought this out and offered Fair prices, to begin with. Heck, it's a minor league playing in a different season for football competing with college basketball and spring training. If I lived in one of the 8 AAF cities I would not have bought a ticket if it cost more than $30.I probably would buy the cheapest $10-15 ticket and snuck into the more expensive seats as most people would have. And there's also concessions and parking. It all adds up.

6 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Ratings are in. Of 3 games that were on NFL Network and TNT, only the TNT game cracked 300,000 viewers with 340,000 watching the Apollos-Legends game.

The Iron-Express game had 184,000 viewers.

And the Stallions-Commanders game had 164,000 viewers.Not a good week at all for the Alliance.

Minor League Ball vs NCAA Tourney...Yeah i know i feel sorry for all the fools who watch that sheit(NCAA tournament) but what can you do. Then next up is that sorry ass of a sport called Baseball which will probably cut into AAF ratings even more. Non-football season sucks for sure. i hope this league sticks around however it seems impending doom is just around the corner. Enjoy it while you can as they say.....

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

17 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Minor League Ball vs NCAA Tourney...Yeah i know i feel sorry for all the fools who watch that sheit(NCAA tournament) but what can you do. Then next up is that sorry ass of a sport called Baseball which will probably cut into AAF ratings even more. Non-football season sucks for sure. i hope this league sticks around however it seems impending doom is just around the corner. Enjoy it while you can as they say.....

I'm not surprised they dropped. Just the degree is somewhat of a surprise. I think there's a year 2 for this league but anything beyond bar the NFL deciding to make Dundon even richer by buying the league out is uncertain to say the least. 

12 hours ago, mkg74 said:

Play. Thursday. Nights. Or at least feature a game.

Charlie Ebersol speaks a word salad.

Ebersol said he had “really, really high-level initial conversations” with “a couple of different people” who reached out after Eminem’s tweet, “including some people from his team.”

Huh?

“We are having conversations about whether or not we are going to expand next year, and it’s really Tom Dundon’s decision,” Ebersol said. “He’s the control owner of the league, but he’s asked me to look at different viable options and a domed stadium in the north where we can allocate Big Ten players, Detroit certainly fits that mold, or the surrounding Michigan area.”

Again, so much for that media guide and Bill "Mr. Magoo" Polian. 

Ebersol called the lawsuit “frivolous” Tuesday, and while he acknowledged the financial challenges of a start-up football league — the AAF already has spent “well over $100 million” so far, Ebersol said — he said it remains on track to be a “complementary and supportive and developmental (league) for the NFL.”

“Look, the business is very simple,” Ebersol said. “In its current situation, as long as Tom Dundon is happy and the business is going well, then Tom uses the term funded to infinity, like we are in a situation where we go. But ultimately, with cities, if a city comes in and can make an argument for it like we know how to make the business work, we just need a city that can get us in a building and help us figure out how to make the system work.”

Was that number prior to Dundon or just the active spending?

And now it seems they want corporate welfare.

Dundon is going to make a decision on the league's future in the next few days.

"If the players union is not going to give us young players, we can't be a development league," said Dundon, who invested $250 million into the league in February. "We are looking at our options, one of which is discontinuing the league."

If they're depending on getting NFL roster players, this league is toast. 

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I can understand a preference for using players assigned by NFL teams; and I get wanting to become a farm league.  But that model is certainly not necessary for the AAF's survival.  There is no shortage of quality talent amongst free agents.

Except that your opinion isn't shared by the guy writing the checks.

It's where I sit.

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Wow.  That is crazy.  It would suck for the San Diego Fleet and San Antonio Commanders fans though.

If I'm Vince and there are a couple of places that just aren't sufficiently excited for the Neo-XFL (and there is definitely going to be that happening) then I may just relocate said teams to San Antonio and San Diego.

32 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Looks like the Neo-XFL is going to be the only game next spring at this rate. At least Vince put a metric :censored:ton of capital behind his venture instead of going week-to-week. 

Probably, since I don't think that the APL or FFL will actually kick off. 

When the dust settles though, the one league that will survive the onslaught of alternative football leagues is the Canadian Football League. Yes they play 12 men and have a larger field and their goal posts are at the front of the End Zone instead of the back but it's still Gridiron football.  They still use the same lexicon of position players as the NFL does

Archived