Biggest Downgrades in History

Bruins

2 hours ago, Bruins said:

Recently mildly triggered by the Lincoln Saltdogs headscratcher of a logo change, whose spiffy new dog enjoys maniacally staring into my soul, I got to wondering what some of the worst brand changes ever have been. And watching the Sox play the lowly Marlins I was reminded of this now infamous downgrade:

IoObB3D.gif

What are some of your (least) favorites?

Oh this is awkward. I really like the Miami look.

Also, anything Clippers related since the recent rebrand. It hurts to say it, but it’s true.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

24082621284_aeb791cda6_o.jpg22153217601_3898057509_o.jpg

1953-54, when the Athletics just... gave up their traditional design in favor of a script that had no ties to their "classic" identity. At least the 1955-present scripts have used an Old English "A" as the capital letter. Fitting for a team that got screwed over by Connie Mack's senility and family squabbles, as well as a bunch of AL dickery. Here's an article explaining how it went down.

Connie Mack with a few of his shrewd advisors.

connie-mack-stooges-082616.JPG

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, PhysicalGraffiti said:

I am preparing for some heat, but first thing that comes to mind:

goaltender-mike-smith-of-the-tampa-bay-l

To:

AR-151219787.jpg

Take a 90's team with a unique identity and strip it of everything unique and attempt to create an ugly marriage of Leafs and Red Wings.

Unique doesn’t necessarily equal good. The Lightning came out of that redesign with better, more versatile marks and a stronger overall brand based on how they’ve built around it. They’re two or three minor changes/additions from excellence, which wasn’t always true of their previous looks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

8 hours ago, PhysicalGraffiti said:

I am preparing for some heat, but first thing that comes to mind:

goaltender-mike-smith-of-the-tampa-bay-l

To:

AR-151219787.jpg

Take a 90's team with a unique identity and strip it of everything unique and attempt to create an ugly marriage of Leafs and Red Wings.

The late 2000s logos were nice...but those Edgified jerseys are really ugly (especially with the front number). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, Ditka said:

gettyimages-51998867.jpg?w=1000&h=730

I really liked those Vick-era Falcons unis for the first few months they were around, but they aged so goddamn terribly.  The Falcons look was infinitely more superb when they were minimalistic.

ifsil39wptrs7pibkuxx.jpg

That is a thing of beauty. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I got a lot for you guys:

e04ylwkfdofkr2ctlerjov26s.gif

to

827.png

to

2547_san_antonio_spurs-primary-2018.png

And of course, the one that was bad for everyone involved:

3097.png

to

8qy7zreof44lznm0kfwvjmvge.gif

and