Biggest Downgrades in History

Bruins

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

46 minutes ago, kimball said:
1 hour ago, alecgoff said:

dr-j1.jpg to...nets_8n5vb7xq_uwrhmwgh.jpg

That's not even the worse downgrade in team history ...

calvin-natt-of-the-new-jersey-nets-drive  nets80s-01.jpg

First, get the timeline right.  The Nets went first from the classic set to the uniform seen on Buck Williams, then back to the classic style, then to the ridiculous set seen on Derrick Coleman.

Second, the home uniform from the Buck Williams set was a colour-inverted version of a set the Nets had had before the Dr. J uniforms.

Image result for rick barry nets  Related image

This redeems that uniform to some degree, even though the change to it does count as a downgrade.

Finally, the gradient uniform with the joke wordmark was the team's worst; so the change to it was, ipso facto, the biggest downgrade. The only change in team history that comes close to being as big a downgrade is this one:

Related image   Related image

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

42 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

83602ba5c672219d29e3c1291a6c8185.jpg

to this

JimEdmonds.jpg

Yup yup yuuuuup. Absolutely mystifying. I guess Disney really wanted to put their stamp on the team. Yiccch.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

First, get the timeline right.  The Nets went first from the classic set to the uniform seen on Buck Williams, then back to the classic style, then to the ridiculous set seen on Derrick Coleman.

Second, the home uniform from the Buck Williams set was a colour-inverted version of a set the Nets had had before the Dr. J uniforms.

Image result for rick barry nets  Related image

Actually the Nets wore the road uniforms with 'NEW JERSEY' on the side in 1980-81 and then switched to cursive scripted jerseys in 1982. I THINK they switched back in 1984-85 to the previous set? 

Either way, you do have a good argument for the 1990 jersey. I can still stand that over the laziness of the 1982-84 cursive jerseys. Blander than bland. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

The PITTSBURGH jersey was really nice.  Robo penguin was IMO an upgrade at the time, but quickly wore on me.

Some of these other ones are being viewed either through young eyes or forgetful eyes.  I was 15 when the Expos changed, and at the time, while all I have to go by is what my friends and I all thought, they looked like clowns and were mocked for their caps.  I remember seeing them for the first time in their new uniforms and thinking how nice they were.  Now that wore off after a few years (at least the road) but at the time I think a lot of people viewed it as an upgrade.  I'd be curious what their actual fans thought - the ones that were old enough to have an opinion at the time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

44 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

C4Q3aH3WcAARfOY.jpg

super-bowl-rams.jpg

usatsi_10320951.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

To be fair, the Rams move to LA created a mismanagement of elminating the "Old Gold" to move away from the STL days/memory, and they should have kept the set prior instead of having an awkward change between stadiums.

20 hours ago, DnBronc said:

I actually think their current look is an upgrade. I liked the original Caps unis way better than their mid-90's change.

I don’t think their font has ever been strong enough to be the focal point of a jersey. It also really annoys me that they can’t capitalize their name. They are the last team that should be doing this with the name CAPITALS. The eagle was a good logo, and it could have even worked with a NBA style recolorization to red white and blue.  

Archived