San Diego Padres focus-grouping new uniforms for 2020

Gothamite

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/15/2018 at 8:25 AM, Bucfan56 said:

Lol, their “focus group” is just going to tell people that the “fans” chose navy and white and they’re going to be stuck looking boring and forgettable, along with being awful on the field, forever.

I think a better move move would be to just contract the Padres. 

In fact, didn't this exact thing happen a few years ago, where they did a similar "study" where fans favored brown and yellow, only to go navy and white anyway?

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Not sure if this has been shared elsewhere, but I saw this on Twitter and thought it would be of interest here. A Padres concept that makes use of a warm color gradient to mimic the stunning sunsets San Diego is known for. Thoughts?

I'm on the fence about the shoulder yoke, but I have to admit the monogram looks damn good like that.  Stunning, even.

We can fight it all we want, but it's 2018, and it's now clear that as long as the sun rises in the east, there will be pee-pee-poo-poo posts about the Padres. Lay down your arms.

The concept posted above is a novel one, and I'm glad someone tried it, but it doesn't work. But it was worth trying to see that it doesn't work. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/21/2018 at 4:33 PM, bwburke94 said:

The Motre Bame set added green, which breaks things a bit.

On 8/21/2018 at 4:56 PM, NicDB said:

It was still only a tertiary color.  They didn't even have a green alt.

Funny thing about that: while I don't have any stills to prove it, I am absolutely positive that the PC version of Triple Play 98 (released in 1997 despite the name) had a green Brewers alt. I think it was their road alt and the blue one was home but could be the other way around. The game had short-lived alts like the Tigers' navy blue and the Twins' red, so this makes me think that a green alt was being planned for the Brewers but ended up not happening for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Funny thing about that: while I don't have any stills to prove it, I am absolutely positive that the PC version of Triple Play 98 (released in 1997 despite the name) had a green Brewers alt. I think it was their road alt and the blue one was home but could be the other way around. The game had short-lived alts like the Tigers' navy blue and the Twins' red, so this makes me think that a green alt was being planned for the Brewers but ended up not happening for whatever reason.

I tend to think not.  Certainly not in 1997, when they drastically minimized the green.

More likely it’s the sort of video game creation we see from time to time. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I tend to think not.  Certainly not in 1997, when they drastically minimized the green.

More likely it’s the sort of video game creation we see from time to time. 

Minimizing the green could have been a last-minute decision. I don't recall any other uniform inaccuracies in that game, other than that several alts got left out (for instance, the Mariners and Red Sox both lacked colored alts for some reason). The green was worn at very specific times - I wanna say the fourth game of a road series. It was put in there deliberately and I doubt it was just something the programmers made up.

Sorry to jump into this conversation late, but in looking at some of these thoughts and comments, I have replies and/or questions...

On 7/15/2018 at 12:30 PM, jmac11281 said:

How many surveys and focus groups do the Padres organization need in order to understand that most fans want the brown?

It depends on the age demographic of who it is they're surveying.  Common sense tells you that the name "San Diego Padres" should be associated primarily with brown.  But generationally speaking, there's now an entire generation of Padres fans who've seen them in blue, gold, orange, camouflage, brown, and so on.  They have no developed brand identity with the team because they changed it so damned much.

On 7/15/2018 at 5:44 PM, Gothamite said:

YellowComp.png

Goth?  Where'd you come across those swatches?  Are they self made, or can they be found online somewhere?  I like 'em.

On 7/16/2018 at 3:08 PM, Ray Lankford said:

The one thing I don't want the Padres to do with brown is come up with something real old fashioned. They're not a classic team so they shouldn't pretend they are and more so, they're free to do whatever they want. I'd love to see them take a swing like the Marlins and Dbacks did.

The team is playing in its 50th season.  They don't date back to 1876 but they're hardly in 'expansion team' mode anymore, either.

On 7/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, LMU said:

*Contract Padres and Marlins

*Move Athletics to San Diego

*Move Rays to Miami

*Expand to Portland and Montreal

*Profit

On 7/17/2018 at 1:56 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

*Move Rays to Charlotte

FTFY

- Relocate Rays to Raleigh and rebrand as "Raleigh Robins."

- Relocate A's to Charlotte.

- Relocate Marlins to Washington, D.C. to become new Washington Nationals.

- Relocate Nationals back to Montreal to become new Montreal Expos.

- Forget about Portland.

FTFY both

On 7/18/2018 at 5:58 PM, hawk36 said:

Anyone know... Do teams get all the revenue from their jersey and cap sales or do they put all in a pot and divide evenly among all teams?  

All merchandising revenue is collectively shared among the 30 teams via, if I recall, MLB Properties.  The teams equip their stores by buying their merchandise at cost from MLB Properties, the revenue from which they keep.

This is why when I abandoned my fandom of the Pittsburgh Pirates in favor of the Cleveland Indians a year ago (I'd always been a fan of both, but I just finally gave up on the Pirates, as they aren't even pretending to try anymore), I've not bought a stitch of team licensed apparel for any MLB team.  First because I already have all the Indians merch I want, and second because I'll be damned if by buying it I'm going to help financially prop up a team owner in Pittsburgh who doesn't really give a **** about winning.

nav-logo.png

I don’t remember where those swatches originally came from.  I think somebody here (maybe even me?) worked them up to illustrate the difference. 

As for merchandise revenue, pretty sure MLB does what the NFL does - anything sold directly by the club on-site stays with the club, everything else gets pooled.  Buy a cap at the ballpark and the Indians keep it all, buy the same cap at the mall or anywhere on line and they get 1/30th of the money. 

16 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not really - the green was unpopular with fans and the Brewers moved on that pretty quickly. 

I'm a rare Brewers fan who actually liked the green (and liked the Motre Bame uniforms on the whole), but Goth is right... most fans found the green intolerable.  They saw it as a cynical and transparent attempt to crib the Packers identity.  Though that was probably a coincidence more than anything (the Packers had only made the playoffs 3 out of the past 25 seasons when the Brewers introduced the green).

On 8/21/2018 at 4:02 PM, coco1997 said:

Not sure if this has been shared elsewhere, but I saw this on Twitter and thought it would be of interest here. A Padres concept that makes use of a warm color gradient to mimic the stunning sunsets San Diego is known for. Thoughts?

Not a fan of the gradients (I do love the raglan sleeves though, just not the color), but otherwise, this looks really solid. 

Archived