College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

20 hours ago, jus2damcrazey219 said:

Hopefully this turns out well because looking at their prior logo history, their track record isn't good. Who was their prior graphic design firm? A kindergarten class?

Phoenix Design Works, there's no doubt because they use the same font design for each brand.  Once you recognize it you can spot the schools designed by them pretty well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

I'm just glad Phoenix doesn't seem to have any new identities being unleashed. I wish my alma mater would get away from their work...

Believe it or not, in the past year and half they've created these:
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

It's not like what we seen from Torch or on here & Behance but they're still serviceable.  Each are improved updates from their previous brands.  Where would be your alma mater?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Earl said:

It's not like what we seen from Torch or on here & Behance but they're still serviceable.  Each are improved updates from their previous brands.  Where would be your alma mater?

They also produced these for Wisconsin Lutheran College in 2017. My brother, an alumnus from the school, put in a bid to create their new logos, but they went with Phoenix Design Works and ended up with this.

spacer.png

On 2/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, Earl said:

My alma mater is UMass Lowell

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

SIU’s new logo is really nice. It was definitely long overdue. It also actually looks like a dog now so people who aren’t familiar with what a Saluki is don’t have to guess when they see the logo. 

Also, it does look good on the helmets, and on a semi-unrelated note to the actual logo, I’m so tired of that “metallic satin” finish or whatever it’s called on helmets. The colors never look right and its so over-used, it’s boring. I’m over trendy helmet finishes. You can never go wrong with a high gloss or metallic gloss finish—End of short rant.

• Like 5

On 2/28/2019 at 9:24 PM, Earl said:

These would be bad FANTASY logos.  

Only nepotism could get that place the work it does.  Its consistently piss-poor.  

I'm in the industry, I hate :censored:ting on other people's work, but its frustrating when others can do so much better, for so much less money.   

• Like 7

On 3/4/2019 at 12:16 AM, AndrewMLind said:

SIU’s new logo looks great on its helmets, too:

As a member of the MVC, I wish Missouri State would update their bearhead logo, and also create a alt logo and a wordmark that is somewhat similiar to the old "SMS" wordmark!

sms.gif

On 2/28/2019 at 8:24 PM, Earl said:

Interesting. Same font. Same embossed lettering with grey glow on the bottom three. Yikes. Do these schools realize they're getting a cookie cutter representation?