lilben777

College athletics identity changes

Recommended Posts

Love the move. Navy and gold are a really boring combination, sports-wise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't around when Pittsburgh used brighter colors so this feels a little weird to me. Still, this was the right move. The number font looks tremendously better than before, and that secondary logo is solid.

 

I still wish they would tweak the primary logo a bit; I don't like how unbalanced it feels... Is it suppose to look like someone wrote it with a paintbrush? Plus, the i not having a dot bothers me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

As I posted in the other thread, I wish Pitt had returned to the actual mustard yellow.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

Their stadium features bright yellow seats. I think that's the reason for the bright yellow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a PSU alum so I'm conditioned to not like Pitt, but that is a beautiful color scheme. I'm glad they have returned to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Maybe it's suppose to represent this?

 

Yes, that is what it is based on. Chris's article mentioned it and I posted this in the College Football Uniforms - 2019 thread.

 

Quote

The new number font and striping pattern pays tribute to Pittsburgh’s Cathedral of Learning, a historic landmark and centerpiece of the university, while the new secondary logo is based on the fountain at the entrance of the building.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Plus, the i not having a dot bothers me.

I was a fan of Dan Marino back in the day...how on earth have I not noticed the missing dot all these years.  Can’t unsee it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Their stadium features bright yellow seats. I think that's the reason for the bright yellow. 

 

Setting aside the whole "that's the Steelers' stadium" thing, I think a better reason for the bright yellow is that it's one of Nike's stock yellow colors.

 

Don't discount this...Nike and other manufacturers would rather either get all it's teams with similar comes onto their own, sometimes proprietary, stock swatches (this happened with Florida State's garnet, going from it's more unique reddish to one of Nike's stock "dark red" swatches), or at any rate, produce as few color swatches as possible (which I'm sure the whole Seattle Seahawks fiasco under Reebok's watch had something to do with). It just makes good business sense on the supplier's end...even though it may rob us viewers of some of the more unique shades--such as Pitt's former mustard yellow. (I do however love the shade of blue they paired with it, so that to me makes up for it--plus yellow has always been my favorite anyway, so I'm good with it. 😁)

 

Speaking of Pitt...I wanna see what the rest of this Cathedral-of-Learning-inspired number set looks like. Oughtta be interesting. But here's what's not interesting...

 

7f259e6a-c5a0-484b-8fdb-7e0c336a7ff4.png

 

What up with that placket piping tho?? I'm sure that's probably a casualty of Nike's baseball template...but why do they continue to do things like this??? It gets irritating...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Buc said:

 

Setting aside the whole "that's the Steelers' stadium" thing, I think a better reason for the bright yellow is that it's one of Nike's stock yellow colors.

 

Don't discount this...Nike and other manufacturers would rather either get all it's teams with similar comes onto their own, sometimes proprietary, stock swatches (this happened with Florida State's garnet, going from it's more unique reddish to one of Nike's stock "dark red" swatches), or at any rate, produce as few color swatches as possible (which I'm sure the whole Seattle Seahawks fiasco under Reebok's watch had something to do with). It just makes good business sense on the supplier's end...even though it may rob us viewers of some of the more unique shades--such as Pitt's former mustard yellow. (I do however love the shade of blue they paired with it, so that to me makes up for it--plus yellow has always been my favorite anyway, so I'm good with it. 😁)

 

Speaking of Pitt...I wanna see what the rest of this Cathedral-of-Learning-inspired number set looks like. Oughtta be interesting. But here's what's not interesting...

 

7f259e6a-c5a0-484b-8fdb-7e0c336a7ff4.png

 

What up with that placket piping tho?? I'm sure that's probably a casualty of Nike's baseball template...but why do they continue to do things like this??? It gets irritating...)

Holy moly!  That's the baseball version of cutting off armhole trim on the NBA template for no discernible reason!

 

What if they do this nonsense with the MLB uniforms once they take over that in 2020?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm usually a stickler for consistency of design elements across all of a university's sports, but I love the idea of having a crest design for use on the school's soccer kits (I only noticed this as part of the photo set from this unveiling, but it looks like it was unveiled last summer):

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I wasn't around when Pittsburgh used brighter colors so this feels a little weird to me. Still, this was the right move. The number font looks tremendously better than before, and that secondary logo is solid.

 

I still wish they would tweak the primary logo a bit; I don't like how unbalanced it feels... Is it suppose to look like someone wrote it with a paintbrush? Plus, the i not having a dot bothers me.

 

Those "paintbrush" script helmet logos were kind of the thing in the 70s and 80s.  I think half the Pac-8 schools had them at one point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NicDB said:

 

Those "paintbrush" script helmet logos were kind of the thing in the 70s and 80s.  I think half the Pac-8 schools had them at one point.

 

This right here also illustrates the mindsets of far too many in the western PA region, which I have no doubt also largely contributed to the push to return to this paintbrush Pitt script. (They also don't like to acknowledge the times when their teams weren't winning championships out the wazoo, but we won't go there. 😀)

 

Still though, super solid update all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 4:44 PM, Waffles said:

Seems like Syracuse might be going back to one of their old logos:

Still on their site as of now: https://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/collegiate/80o?vst=college&redirect=true&ipp=120

 

 

If it's real, I think it's a downgrade. I like their current identity and system, and this is one of the weaker and more generic ones in their history.

 

 

The Virginia V is a throwback/alternate logo as well. 

 

And I just clicked on the link, and both Syracuse and Virginia logos have been updated to the modern versions.

 

That Nike header is a mess though. Starting with the Purdue logo, none of the links correlate with the teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Apparently the Evansville Purple Aces just announced a rebranding. I hadn't seen anything leading up to this on MVC twitter, unlike the Saluki logo change.

EDIT: Based on twitter and the Evansville website, it appears the purple and white UE is the new university academic logo. The UE with the bevel and orange outline is the new athletics primary logo, with the Ace gambler being the mascot secondary logo and the script Aces serving as a secondary athletics wordmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maroon said:


Apparently the Evansville Purple Aces just announced a rebranding. I hadn't seen anything leading up to this on MVC twitter, unlike the Saluki logo change.

EDIT: Based on twitter and the Evansville website, it appears the purple and white UE is the new university academic logo. The UE with the bevel and orange outline is the new athletics primary logo, with the Ace gambler being the mascot secondary logo and the script Aces serving as a secondary athletics wordmark.

Kinda surprised they went with a white male character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 7:32 AM, Derek said:

article.pngI wonder how long it will take the Jaguar automotive company to tell this college to change their leaping cat logo, like they did to Drury University Panthers!

I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.