AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

2 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

That old logo has to be one of the wordiest hockey logos in existence. 8 different words/place names by my count.

Also someone once told me that the Sagueneens logo was a reference to blueberries or some other sort of berry that grows in the region... is there any truth to that, or was my leg being pulled?

And I thought Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino was a long name.... Complete 180 from Iowa Wild or Iowa Cubs.

13 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

That old logo has to be one of the wordiest hockey logos in existence. 8 different words/place names by my count.

Also someone once told me that the Sagueneens logo was a reference to blueberries or some other sort of berry that grows in the region... is there any truth to that, or was my leg being pulled?

yes, it is a blueberry 

ECHL is coming to Lake Tahoe, courtesy of Tim Tebow. Tebow is also a minority partner for Jacksonville and Savannah in the ECHL. No identity yet. Common sense would be to have them affiliate with Vegas Golden Knights and Henderson Silver Knights and be branded as the Tahoe Bronze Knights

https://www.echl.com/en/news/2023/7/echl-approves-expansion-membership-for-lake-tahoe

Signature intentionally left blank

I caught Wenatchee Wild GM Bliss Littler on the Pipeline Podcast, he said that the Wild don't have enough time to design and order sets of uniforms for this year so they will be using the Winnipeg ICE template with Wild logos on them. 

(Not sure if that means they will be sewing Wild logos directly over the ICE logos on the existing uniform sets? Or if they will be making new Wild jerseys with the Wild logo right on them, he didn't get into that level of detail.)

• Like 2

Cleveland Monsters unveiled new logos today, dropping the red, and going with black, blue, and gold.spacer.png

I really like the update. 

They call the colors Bessie black and lake blue.

For those who don't know, Bessie is the name of the Lake Erie monster.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

4 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

I caught Wenatchee Wild GM Bliss Littler on the Pipeline Podcast, he said that the Wild don't have enough time to design and order sets of uniforms for this year so they will be using the Winnipeg ICE template with Wild logos on them. 

(Not sure if that means they will be sewing Wild logos directly over the ICE logos on the existing uniform sets? Or if they will be making new Wild jerseys with the Wild logo right on them, he didn't get into that level of detail.)

Most likely it just means using the ICE template and just swapping the ICE logos out for Wild ones.

3 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Cleveland Monsters unveiled new logos today, dropping the red, and going with black, blue, and gold.spacer.png

I really like the update. 

They call the colors Bessie black and lake blue.

For those who don't know, Bessie is the name of the Lake Erie monster.

Ooh, I like this update. Black, bronze-gold and blue are a real unique color combo that work well here. Plus it makes the Monsters feel more distinct instead of just copycatting the Cavaliers' colors because both are owned by the same group.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Most likely it just means using the ICE template and just swapping the ICE logos out for Wild ones.

The team website has a photoshop that gives an idea of what it'll look like.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

And now, for the uniforms, which are sharp, IMO.

Oooh, that subtle wave in the striping on the home and road is sick. Kinda surprised the white doesn't have black accenting (transplanting the cuff and hem of the black wouldn't look terrible, IMO), but that's a minor quibble in a very sharp uniform.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

7 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The team website has a photoshop that gives an idea of what it'll look like.

spacer.png

I was going to question if this was easier than just wearing the existing Wenatchee jerseys and stitching on a WHL logo but then I remembered they'd have to be in CCM jerseys, so I guess this is the easiest process.

At least the colours are similar enough to the existing Wenatchee logo?

I also do hope Wenatchee updates their logo now that they are in a higher league with more money and brand importance being around.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Oooh, that subtle wave in the striping on the home and road is sick. Kinda surprised the white doesn't have black accenting (transplanting the cuff and hem of the black wouldn't look terrible, IMO), but that's a minor quibble in a very sharp uniform.

Agreed these are really good uniforms for the Monsters. But isn't it weird that the primary home/road uniforms don't use the new primary logo on the front, but the alternate does? Seems like that's something that almost never happens in hockey. Especially since I think the roundel is a lot stronger. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I'm sort of surprised that the 2 jerseys have the secondary logo on the front. If I have to guess, those will be the home and away jerseys because those are the colors that were previously used for those. I love the wave for the stripe.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

The name and logo of Baton Rouge's new hockey team was released yesterday. And  both are terrible: 
VSxGBgn.png

First, the name. Baton Rouge has NOTHING to do with zydeco music; that's really from Cajun country to the west and southwest (Lafayette, New Iberia, Opelousas, Houma, Thibodeaux, etc.)

Second, the logo.   Horrendous.  I get the "red stick"/Baton Rouge connection; there's a fleur-de-lis thrown in just to be lazy since this is Louisiana,  but good night, that Bridge? (the I-10 bridge across the Mississippi River?).  HORRIBLY rendered and drawn.   And why is there NOTHING at all in this logo relating to Zydeco music? A music note or two, an accordion or a chank-a-chank, something.   Shoot, a hockey player playing an accordion would be much better. 

Compare to their previous team, the Baton Rouge Kingfish:
riuruhds9z458c542zl5.gif

Team name was great, with a double meaning (actual kingfish AND nickname of famous Governor Huey P. Long). Had the  "red stick" (Baton Rouge) hockey stick.   And just a whiff of the bridge and the downtown skyline, including the iconic state capital building.

It is what it is.

3 hours ago, B-Rich said:

The name and logo of Baton Rouge's new hockey team was released yesterday. And  both are terrible: 
VSxGBgn.png

First, the name. Baton Rouge has NOTHING to do with zydeco music; that's really from Cajun country to the west and southwest (Lafayette, New Iberia, Opelousas, Houma, Thibodeaux, etc.)

Second, the logo.   Horrendous.  I get the "red stick"/Baton Rouge connection; there's a fleur-de-lis thrown in just to be lazy since this is Louisiana,  but good night, that Bridge? (the I-10 bridge across the Mississippi River?).  HORRIBLY rendered and drawn.   And why is there NOTHING at all in this logo relating to Zydeco music? A music note or two, an accordion or a chank-a-chank, something.   Shoot, a hockey player playing an accordion would be much better. 

Compare to their previous team, the Baton Rouge Kingfish:
riuruhds9z458c542zl5.gif

Team name was great, with a double meaning (actual kingfish AND nickname of famous Governor Huey P. Long). Had the  "red stick" (Baton Rouge) hockey stick.   And just a whiff of the bridge and the downtown skyline, including the iconic state capital building.

I’m with you. I hate everything about this brand. Love that minor league hockey is coming back, but they completely mailed-in the branding.

• Like 1

gYH2mW9.png

On 7/12/2023 at 5:47 PM, panthers_2012 said:

And now, for the uniforms, which are sharp, IMO.

The blue one is from their outdoor game last season, which I thought would be a fantastic basis for a new look at the time. Glad they went in that direction.

The home and road appear to be on a new CCM template, which looks a lot like the old Reebok Edge template, and I'm not a fan.

The crests on the primary jerseys, but especially on the black one, need thicker outlines. The logo gets lost at distance.

Overall, though, far better than anything they've worn recently, and maybe ever.  "Lake Erie Monsters" still makes more sense to me as a name, but I'll take this. As an odd aside, it almost looks like they're wearing Toledo Walleye colors now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

"Monsters" looks like it's off center to the left a bit. It needs to be rotated around the circle counter-clockwise a little bit to line up evenly. I don't love on the home and road jerseys that the top of the big stripe is wavy but the bottom is straight. It makes it way too thick for my liking. I think my ideal fix would be to move the blue stripe down to the cuff/bottom hem, and then flip the gold stripe to go on top of it and make it match the wave curve. Overall, pretty close to great. Way better than what they had. But that roundel type needs to be set better at least.spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...