WideRight

Alliance of American Football - Team Names and Logos

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

The San Diego Fleet are going to bring out a new jersey against the Iron.

 

Not surprised. The Fleet's gray is between gray and black. I'm betting it'll be a white jersey. 

For the home team to go white.... I think we're liable to see their yellowish mustard color it a really light gray. White seems more something the iron should do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

For the home team to go white.... I think we're liable to see their yellowish mustard color it a really light gray. White seems more something the iron should do. 

 

We've seen 3 clashes so far (Express at Iron in Week 1, Apollos at Stallions in Week 4 and Express at Legends in Week 5). On all of those occasions, the clash jerseys that the Express (twice) and Apollos wore were simply going to a white jersey in the case of the Express and a navy jersey in the case of the Apollos. I'm betting conservative based on prior history but who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2019 at 8:41 AM, gosioux76 said:

 

I agree, except I can't help but think there's something missing on the sleeves of these jerseys. That goes for the entire AAFL. Their plain-ness sticks out to me in a negative way, which is weird, because I like how these jerseys — the Fleet in particular — aren't over-adorned. Simplicity should be the goal, yet I just can't shake the feeling that something better could be done with those sleeves. 

I think what bugs me slightly about the new uniforms is the cut of sorts. Since the NFL switched over to Nike all those years ago, the sleeves keep shrinking unless requested by the players (I think). What I've seen from the Alliance football of sorts is a happy medium with jersey sleeves. I think unfortunately, in most teams cases, not having any pattern such as stripes or numbers hurt the uniforms a bit. I do like the look of the Fleet but I do agree with you with the sleeves being a bit plain. Or perhaps It'll take some time to get used to...

Edited by cwilz305
A few typos to correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly looks a big light gray than white. Should go with hull gray and hull numbers from ships. Unless it's just their reveal distorting things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

At least they have side stripes now instead of plain jerseys.

Oh yeah, at least there’s that...

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not upset with the new jerseys. It’s definitely apparent that when in need of a “clash” jersey, the teams just order cookie cutters, but I’m okay with that. It’s a new league and they have some growing pains. Learn from it and be better in season two, if everything works out in their favor.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that I find frustrating about the AAF and their white jerseys is the fact that there are only 8 teams and it really wouldn’t have been that difficult to avoid clashing uniforms at all. They either should have thought about making sure all of the uniforms would contrast each other enough or designed a white jersey/clash jersey that didn’t seem to be an after though. Either option would have been a more appropriate and professional-feeling way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least the SD white jersey tries to incorporate the side panels from the dark jersey.  Memphis and Orlando’s 2nd jersey didn’t even do that.  Hoping in 2020 we are fully realized clash jerseys or uniforms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

The that I find frustrating about the AAF and their white jerseys is the fact that there are only 8 teams and it really wouldn’t have been that difficult to avoid clashing uniforms at all. They either should have thought about making sure all of the uniforms would contrast each other enough or designed a white jersey/clash jersey that didn’t seem to be an after though. Either option would have been a more appropriate and professional-feeling way to go.

 

I thought that too, and when I did my "alternative universe" version of the AAF (see the Concepts board) I had all 8 teams with 1 uniform only for the first season.  When the actual AAF uniforms came out I thought they had done a pretty good job of it, but apparently between the colorblind, people with black & white TVs (really?) and people who just don't like dark v. dark, there was enough backlash that the league seems to have caved and created 2nd uniforms.  A lot of people complained about ATL v. BIR which is purple/gold v. all black, which did not bother me at all.  

 

I am hoping that for year 2 the league will tweak the uniforms, give more character to the alternates and fix some of the issues that people don't like.  My unsolicited opinions:

 

ARZ Home:  Helmet logo on both sides. Lengthen the pant stripe just a bit, maybe 1/2 of leg.  The rest is fine. 

ARZ Away:  Green jersey with white numbers (orange trim) and yellow sleeve caps.  Yellow pants with green & Orange side stripe similar to helmet (with AZ logo)

 

ATL Home:  Just minor tweeks:  go with a purple facemask instead of gold, change the gold crown stripe at bottom to white on helmet logos, add small secondary logos to sleeve caps. 

ATL Away:  Same tweeks as above plus use purple pants, white jersey with gold sleeve caps and purple numbers. 

 

BIR Home:  Add logo to helmet (both sides) or to sleeves (one or the other, not both).  Change pants to metallic grey with black stripe. 

BIR Away:  Black pants, white jersey with black yoke and black numbers

 

MEM Home: Really solid, no changes needed. 

MEM Away:  Just add the blue-red side stripe to jerseys and it is good to go. 

 

ORL Home:  Shrink the numbers on the helmet a bit, that's all. 

ORL Away:  Orange jersey with blue yoke and side stripes in white/navy to match home jersey

 

SLC: Home: Change helmet logo to full horse-head logo.  The mane just does not evoke horses.  Looks like a bird logo. 

SLC Away: LIght blue jersey with white numbers (royal trim) and royal sleeve caps.  Silver pants with royal stripe. 

 

SA Home:  Numbers on both sides of helmet.  Logo is the color shift pattern.  Main logo on sleeves. 

SA Away:  White jersey with maroon yoke and red numbers outlined in maroon and main logo on sleeves.  

 

SD Home:  Logo on both sides of helmet.  Change logos and stripe from metallic to athletic gold.

SD Away:  Yellow jersey with Dark Grey & Light Grey numbers (as on new white jersey), dark grey chevrons on side stripe.  Dark grey pants with light grey chevrons. 

 

(I would design these but my CPU with CorelDraw is 800 miles away so I cannot access it until it and all my furniture makes the move to where I now live.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WideRight said:

 

I thought that too, and when I did my "alternative universe" version of the AAF (see the Concepts board) I had all 8 teams with 1 uniform only for the first season.  When the actual AAF uniforms came out I thought they had done a pretty good job of it, but apparently between the colorblind, people with black & white TVs (really?) and people who just don't like dark v. dark, there was enough backlash that the league seems to have caved and created 2nd uniforms.  A lot of people complained about ATL v. BIR which is purple/gold v. all black, which did not bother me at all.  

 

I am hoping that for year 2 the league will tweak the uniforms, give more character to the alternates and fix some of the issues that people don't like.  My unsolicited opinions:

 

ARZ Home:  Helmet logo on both sides. Lengthen the pant stripe just a bit, maybe 1/2 of leg.  The rest is fine. 

ARZ Away:  Green jersey with white numbers (orange trim) and yellow sleeve caps.  Yellow pants with green & Orange side stripe similar to helmet (with AZ logo)

 

ATL Home:  Just minor tweeks:  go with a purple facemask instead of gold, change the gold crown stripe at bottom to white on helmet logos, add small secondary logos to sleeve caps. 

ATL Away:  Same tweeks as above plus use purple pants, white jersey with gold sleeve caps and purple numbers. 

 

BIR Home:  Add logo to helmet (both sides) or to sleeves (one or the other, not both).  Change pants to metallic grey with black stripe. 

BIR Away:  Black pants, white jersey with black yoke and black numbers 

 

MEM Home: Really solid, no changes needed. 

MEM Away:  Just add the blue-red side stripe to jerseys and it is good to go. 

 

ORL Home:  Shrink the numbers on the helmet a bit, that's all. 

ORL Away:  Orange jersey with blue yoke and side stripes in white/navy to match home jersey

 

SLC: Home: Change helmet logo to full horse-head logo.  The mane just does not evoke horses.  Looks like a bird logo. 

SLC Away: LIght blue jersey with white numbers (royal trim) and royal sleeve caps.  Silver pants with royal stripe. 

 

SA Home:  Numbers on both sides of helmet.  Logo is the color shift pattern.  Main logo on sleeves.  

SA Away:  White jersey with maroon yoke and red numbers outlined in maroon and main logo on sleeves.   

 

SD Home:  Logo on both sides of helmet.  Change logos and stripe from metallic to athletic gold.

SD Away:  Yellow jersey with Dark Grey & Light Grey numbers (as on new white jersey), dark grey chevrons on side stripe.  Dark grey pants with light grey chevrons. 

 

(I would design these but my CPU with CorelDraw is 800 miles away so I cannot access it until it and all my furniture makes the move to where I now live.)

 

 

 

Number One: Congrats on the move

Number Two: I like some of these ideas but the idea of having the Commanders logo be on the back of the helmet reminds me of this story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Red Comet said:

 

Number One: Congrats on the move

Number Two: I like some of these ideas but the idea of having the Commanders logo be on the back of the helmet reminds me of this story.

 

What I mean by that is that the team already has the outline of the Alamo across the back of the helmet so they don't need to repeat it by having the actual full logo on the sides of the helmet.  Because of the design of the red v. maroon color change (as a logo itself) I believe SA is the only team that should stick with numbers on the helmet instead of logos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather they remove the initials from the back of the helmets and put a white SA logo on the sides of the helmets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn’t exactly a clash, but it’s not easy on the eyes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh. I have had no problems looking at that game so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching on my phone and having no issues. Especially since San Antonio is winning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

That is by far the most unique color vs color matchups ive seen.

You could tell them apart, but doesn't mean it looks right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.