Atlantic Schooners Announced as Name of New CFL Team

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BREAKING NEWS:

As of 5:15pm PST on November 23, 2018, it is now official: The CFL's 10th team will, indeed, be named the Atlantic Schooners. :)

I called it, as did plenty of you on this website. I'm just thrilled that the CFL has 10 teams at least, and I look forward to seeing this team play in the future.

UBwef0L.png

So... they don't have a team, and the league hasn't even said they're expanding?  Is there any precedent for this?  Couldn't the league just be like "nah, we're good"?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

November 24, 2018 - 02:45 AM

The Atlantic Schooners are ready to set sail in the Canadian Football League… and they’re serious this time. On November 3, 1982, it was announced that a new Halifax CFL club for 1984 would be known as the Atlantic Schooners, […]

Read More...

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So... they don't have a team, and the league hasn't even said they're expanding?  Is there any precedent for this?

There is. Funny enough they said that team would have the same name as this one. 

Ok ok. I’ll stop. 

Im just taking a “I’ll believe it when I see them on field” approach.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So... they don't have a team, and the league hasn't even said they're expanding?  Is there any precedent for this?  Couldn't the league just be like "nah, we're good"?

The Milwaukee Brewers were named before the team got there. The owners (led by Bud Selig) hosted some home games of the White Sox in Milwaukee in 1967 and 1968, and hoped to be awarded a 1969 expansion team. When they weren't, they turned their focus to trying to buy an existing team, which of course they eventually did with the Seattle Pilots.

The Baltimore Bombers, St. Louis Stallions, and Memphis Hound Dogs were named before the NFL's 1993 expansion that resulted in none of these organisations joining the league.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 11/22/2018 at 9:16 PM, G-tron said:

It's being done in a very unorthodox way in that they are naming the team before even being granted a conditional expansion franchise

BOOMER SCHOONER

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

7 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Baltimore Bombers, St. Louis Stallions, and Memphis Hound Dogs were named before the NFL's 1993 expansion that resulted in none of these organisations joining the league.

Yeah but the league was definitely expanding and one of those bids was guaranteed a team. 

Looks like the Sailboats are proclaiming themselves the next team, when the league hasn’t even said they’re expanding. 

It’s like me telling everyone I’m engaged to Mila Kunis, though we haven’t met yet and she’s technically still married. I’m sure she’d fall for me if we were to meet though. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It’s like me telling everyone I’m engaged to Mila Kunis, though we haven’t met yet and she’s technically still married. I’m sure she’d fall for me if we were to meet though. 

Congrats! You guys set a date yet?

For those not liking Atlantic as the team's location moniker, the Adirondack Red Wings, Ice Hawks, Frostbite, Phantoms, Thunder would like a word, as would the Empire State Cobras and Capital District Islanders.

It was going to be Atlantic or Maritimes.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The league is expanding, though.  Everything is conditional on the stadium, but once that issue figured out (which may take some time), then these guys get their team.  It's not like they are doing all this without league approval.  The unveiling was done during the Grey Cup festival, with the commissioner there.  That's not happening if the league wasn't expanding.  Naming the team might be a little too early, but considering that everyone pretty much knew that was going to be the name anyways, the potential ownership group probably decided to use it to generate more excitement and season ticket deposits to show to the league that Halifax can support a team.

4 hours ago, jn8 said:

Congrats! You guys set a date yet?

Yeah - I'm actually taking her to the Sailboats first home game.

1 hour ago, M4One said:

The league is expanding, though.  Everything is conditional on the stadium, but once that issue figured out (which may take some time), then these guys get their team.  It's not like they are doing all this without league approval.  The unveiling was done during the Grey Cup festival, with the commissioner there.  That's not happening if the league wasn't expanding.  Naming the team might be a little too early, but considering that everyone pretty much knew that was going to be the name anyways, the potential ownership group probably decided to use it to generate more excitement and season ticket deposits to show to the league that Halifax can support a team.

Didn't know the league was in on it - still seems dumb though, since the whole thing could fall through, making everyone look bad (and of course, the fans are the ones that would suffer.)

21 hours ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

November 24, 2018 - 02:45 AM

atlantic-schooners-sw.jpg

The Atlantic Schooners are ready to set sail in the Canadian Football League… and they’re serious this time. On November 3, 1982, it was announced that a new Halifax CFL club for 1984 would be known as the Atlantic Schooners, […]

Read More...

reminds me of this:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Archived