NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the Clippers trying to be all "hard" lol.

Look, this just isn't what the Clippers are, and this just screams that to me, trying to be something they're not. As much as they might want it to be, this isn't their brand. They aren't the team of the city, and trying to take on that "inner city" aesthetic, from the court to these jerseys, it all rings hollow. And those hats, pairing the Old English font with that Clippers logo, it's just laughable. Win something before you try to come with this type of swagger.

Aesthetically, the "Los" on top of the "Angeles" rather than on the same line is an odd choice for me. And as others have said, the number font just doesn't jive with that "Los Angeles" font.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Look, this just isn't what the Clippers are, and this just screams that to me, trying to be something they're not. As much as they might want it to be, this isn't their brand. They aren't the team of the city, and trying to take on that "inner city" aesthetic, from the court to these jerseys, it all rings hollow. And those hats, pairing the Old English font with that Clippers logo, it's just laughable. Win something before you try to come with this type of swagger.

Aesthetically, the "Los" on top of the "Angeles" rather than on the same line is an odd choice for me. And as others have said, the number font just doesn't jive with that "Los Angeles" font

Ummm... it's ok to not like the uniforms. But as far as brand and going for a certain look, why wouldn't you reinvent your identity with a new team? I don't think they're trying to be hard, they're just embracing being a different LA than the Lakers. LA isn't just movie stars and  showbiz... At least they're trying to separate themselves. This is their first, real championship caliber team...a little change isn't that serious is it?

8 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Aesthetically, the "Los" on top of the "Angeles" rather than on the same line is an odd choice for me. And as others have said, the number font just doesn't jive with that "Los Angeles" font.

I don't think winning should be an entry point for branding experimentation or a rebrand in general, especially when you share a building with the freakin' Lakers.  The Clippers have nothing.  Let them have some fun by pretending to be Laurence Fishburne schooling people on the corner about gentrification.  The design is awful, but this is the same organization that signed off with full heart on the current look they have (which is, as we all know, the uniform design equivalent of squirting strawberry hershey's syrup out of a baboon's red ass onto a Chuck E. Cheese napkin).

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

20 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

so the lakers have the rights to all things LA? Lakers are Hollywood. what’s wrong with the Clippers taking on a compton  look? It goes very well against the Lakers hollywood vibe. Plus with Kawhi, PG, and Bev, they’re taking on a grittier, more hard nose style on the court. that actually does go hand in hand with the “inner city swagger” or whatever the hell you called it. 

you really just come across as a bitter laker fan. 

Because the Clippers aren't Compton. At best, the Clippers are Marina del Rey. You can say the Lakers are Hollywood, and they certainly are from their profile, but they're also Compton, Inglewood, the South Bay, Glendale, East LA, etc. The Clippers, by virtue of being the freaking Clippers for the last 30+ years, just aren't any of that.

And I actually agree, I think the Clippers should rebrand. I think they should blow up the whole thing. The problem with them doing this right now is the Clippers of it all. There's a whole lot of baggage to that. And like I said, I think them trying to put on this look comes off as hollow, or dress up.

If this franchise truly wants to "embrace a new identity," then I think they should and just redo all of it. There's plenty to flush away, and I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to go ahead and flush it.

28 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Because the Clippers aren't Compton. At best, the Clippers are Marina del Rey. You can say the Lakers are Hollywood, and they certainly are from their profile, but they're also Compton, Inglewood, the South Bay, Glendale, East LA, etc. The Clippers, by virtue of being the freaking Clippers for the last 30+ years, just aren't any of that.

And I actually agree, I think the Clippers should rebrand. I think they should blow up the whole thing. The problem with them doing this right now is the Clippers of it all. There's a whole lot of baggage to that. And like I said, I think them trying to put on this look comes off as hollow, or dress up.

If this franchise truly wants to "embrace a new identity," then I think they should and just redo all of it. There's plenty to flush away, and I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to go ahead and flush it.

You're still a little off with your argument (or point)... So you're essentially saying, the Clippers aren't allowed to try anything different, separate themselves from the past Clippers teams that amounted to nothing, or signal change in the direction of the organization and team. Every single team in the NBA has tried something new or different. I don't get why you can't just say the uniforms don't resonate with you personally. 

30 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

You're still a little off with your argument (or point)... So you're essentially saying, the Clippers aren't allowed to try anything different, separate themselves from the past Clippers teams that amounted to nothing, or signal change in the direction of the organization and team. Every single team in the NBA has tried something new or different. I don't get why you can't just say the uniforms don't resonate with you personally. 

Okay. The uniforms don't resonate with me personally because it feels like the Clippers playing dress up for something they're not and their attempt rings hollow. The Clippers trying to be something the franchise just isn't and hasn't been.

I'm not saying they can't try something different. What I'm saying is, if this is what the franchise wants to be, don't just "try" something. Go all out. I think the franchise should wholly rebrand from the Clippers, because there's nothing worth holding onto there.

Between the court and these jerseys, it looks basically like the Clippers are trying to do what the Nets did. Now, yes, the Nets didn't change their name, but they didn't have to. The Nets name had plenty of history in the New York area worth hanging on to, so when the Nets did move from New Jersey, they embraced the Brooklyn and made that their identity. The difference with the Clippers is 1) there's truly nothing worth hanging onto with the Clippers name or history and 2) they're not moving. They can put on a meaner face for 17 games, but they'll still the hapless Clippers to so many people in this town.

24 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Okay. The uniforms don't resonate with me personally because it feels like the Clippers playing dress up for something they're not and their attempt rings hollow. The Clippers trying to be something the franchise just isn't and hasn't been.

I'm not saying they can't try something different. What I'm saying is, if this is what the franchise wants to be, don't just "try" something. Go all out. I think the franchise should wholly rebrand from the Clippers, because there's nothing worth holding onto there.

Between the court and these jerseys, it looks basically like the Clippers are trying to do what the Nets did. Now, yes, the Nets didn't change their name, but they didn't have to. The Nets name had plenty of history in the New York area worth hanging on to, so when the Nets did move from New Jersey, they embraced the Brooklyn and made that their identity. The difference with the Clippers is 1) there's truly nothing worth hanging onto with the Clippers name or history and 2) they're not moving. They can put on a meaner face for 17 games, but they'll still the hapless Clippers to so many people in this town.

Lol... it's ok to be a Laker fan, and acknowledge that the Clippers, on paper, have their best team in ages. The expectations are high. Why not capitalize on going in a new direction? EVERY team has had a new jersey since Nike took over. Whatever you have against the Clippers, should apply to every team. Some teams went waayy out of their usual brand to accommodate Nike. It's like you don't want them to sperate from their mediocre history and establish something new, even if it didn't come with a full rebranding. Again, this can be applied to almost every team. There are only so many designs for a team, and Nike is running through them. 

31 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

That's literally the point of doing something different. They're not claiming to be the new "bad boys"... But opinions are opinions. 

2 minutes ago, Cleveland Fan said:

I'm back after some minor health issues.  Is the NBA and/or Nike allowing teams to keep statement jerseys past 2 seasons? There's no indication of a new Cavs statement jersey.

The Hawks have had the same statement uni since 2015... I think the city edition has a 2 year limit though.

6 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Lol... it's ok to be a Laker fan, and acknowledge that the Clippers, on paper, have their best team in ages. The expectations are high.

Yes, I understand all that. Truly, this has nothing to do with the actual team on the court. I know the roster they've put together and their expectations and all of that. This is about perception and identity.

7 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

EVERY team has had a new jersey since Nike took over. Whatever you have against the Clippers, should apply to every team. Some teams went waayy out of their usual brand to accommodate Nike.

Yes, and that sucks. I hate what Nike has done with these uniform rotations, and I think it's spawned some of the worst basketball looks we've seen. Some of it works for the team and city (see: Miami Vice), and a lot really have been terrible. And I mean worst in two ways. Worst in terms of actual looks and aesthetics. And I mean worst in looks that have nothing to do with the actual franchise and its history. Examples are the Hickory High uniforms for the Pacers (sure, they look fine in a traditional sense, but what the hell does Hoosiers have to do with the Pacers NBA franchise?) or the Clippers' LA Express-looking alternate from last year (again, what?).

And to show you some objectivity, however far that'll go, the Lakers "Magic Johnson" jersey from last season. The black, the "pinstripes," etc. Just ugh. Not only was it ugly, but it didn't represent anything resembling the visual brand of the Los Angeles Lakers.

It's like you don't want them to sperate from their mediocre history and establish something new, even if it didn't come with a full rebranding.

Not really, no. As explained above, you can try stuff, sure, but it has to make sense. To me, these Clipper uniforms don't make sense. They feel inauthentic to what the Clippers are or represent. The Heat definitely went off board with the Miami Vice jerseys, but does it work for them? Totally! But these GTA San Andreas things? They don't work for the Los Angeles Clippers.

There are only so many designs for a team, and Nike is running through them. 

Then maybe we should stop.

16 minutes ago, TGroce said:

Surprisingly to myself, I dig it

Respectable. I just wish they’d bring the mid 2000s red alt back as the statement, although this (if true) is a pretty close approximation. Logoman on the front causes some doubt on the authenticity, though.

39 minutes ago, Cleveland Fan said:

I'm back after some minor health issues.  Is the NBA and/or Nike allowing teams to keep statement jerseys past 2 seasons? There's no indication of a new Cavs statement jersey.

Yes, there are about 12 keeping their statement jerseys

Archived