NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, MattMill said:

White jerseys are becoming extinct, so I don't think we'll see white vs yellow at all. 

It's one of my least favorite matchup combos, especially back in the day when the Sonics wore their gold alt jerseys at home and the NBA forced the road team wear white.

I just hate teams wearing white on the road, period.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

31 minutes ago, kimball said:

It's one of my least favorite matchup combos, especially back in the day when the Sonics wore their gold alt jerseys at home and the NBA forced the road team wear white.

White versus gold/yellow is a trash look, imo.

White at home (except for Lakers) and color on the road, whatever color that may be. Not that hard. Lakers should never wear purple at home, Boston never green (or black!) at home, and so on.

I will now resume yelling at clouds.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

49 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

White versus gold/yellow is a trash look, imo.

White at home (except for Lakers) and color on the road, whatever color that may be. Not that hard. Lakers should never wear purple at home, Boston never green (or black!) at home, and so on.

I will now resume yelling at clouds.

White or yellow at home! Otherwise agee. Never yellow on the road!

13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Bad Boys were long gone so the Pistons rebranded to teal and maroon with a cartoon horse logo. Then they wised up, went back to the Bad Boys look (despite said Bad Boys being long gone) and won another title ;) 

Though the arrogance and entitlement here is staggering. 

Pistons fans: we don't like the teal. Red, white, and blue please. 

Spurs fans: we like the Spurs' no-nonsense brand, keep the fiesta to a minimum please. 

Some guy who isn't a fan of either: screw your teams' traditions and what their fans want, they should do crazy :censored: I like because 90s schlock is popular right now. 

You are half true. I am a BULLS (sometimes Pacers) fan to the bone.

I admit I'm not a Spurs or Pistons fan and can careless what their die hard fans think. But as an outsider looking in their current identity & uniforms are meh. I dont want them to go crazy with horses and big logos & radical colors for sake of changing. Its ok if you dont feel that way. I understand. But being stagnant is boring.

Bulls - like the Heat Miami Vice uniforms can rebrand around their City uniforms and I wouldn't even blink. Drastic as it may be from the Jordan era sometimes you need a fresh look. Bulls look good in anything. Im all for their Black and Red. It should not change but if it did it would be ok. 

A LOT of popular companies ir brands change. Its evolution of life.

jpeg

brand-logo-evolution.gif

Some of the best companies have changed their logos or designs or identity altogether. 

I'm just a fan of fresh and change even if it's not needed but only if it works. If not keep it the same. 

Prime example #3

White-Sox-Logo-history.jpg

My White Sox. Red white Blue team for their whole history but changed to Black White and Silver. And it works whether you are fan or not, was it needed no..but it WORKS. Mic drop 

shado_logo.gif

4 hours ago, kimball said:

spacer.png

Okay, here are a few thoughts I have ...

• I like how the "Icon" blue jersey looks without the circle being gold ... it really declutters the jersey.
  • I don't have any strong feelings about the (assuming) "Statement" gold jersey. The Bay works, I guess? I wish it was a copy of the "Association" and "Statement" but I don't think we're going to see that from any Nike jersey (ie-Lakers purple jersey, etc.). It seems like Statement jerseys needs to be significantly different under their designing eye?
  • The (assuming) black "City" jersey seems like a hallow inclusion of Oakland in the move to San Francisco. Since (most) "City" jerseys are a one year thing, I bet you anything we won't see it again next year and instead see a modern spin on The City jerseys since this is San Francisco?
  • There's nothing bad to say about The City jersey, it's a classic! And, I'm glad it's in gold. 
  • And, I've said this numerous times ... I absolutely HATE that "I" on the WARRIORS font! KILL IT!

Blue is decluttered but not enough.  Too many word marks above and below, circle still too small - the clutter stands out next to the others.

Still I had been hoping for the color swap like this.

17 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

1.We’ve been in the playoffs since 98, fiesta was phased out in 02.

2. Fiesta had 12 playoff appearances and 1 championship in its era. The Silver and Black have had 13 playoff appearances in its first 16 years, and then since 02 we haven’t missed the playoffs and have won 4 titles in 5 trips to the finals. The total numbers lean heavily toward the Silver and Black and even without it...

3. THE SPURS HAVE NEVER WORN FIESTA. It was only the logo and court and that was for 12 years of the franchises 43 years. Excluding the time spent in Dallas as the Chaparrals.

The idea the spurs need fiesta full time is absolutely ridiculous. The Silver and Black are synonymous to the spurs famous culture and loyal fan base. Spurs aren’t a flashy team, aren’t a bandwagon-ing team. They’re the Spurs. 

Fiesta was on the warmups.  Today's equivalent of the warmups is alts, so....

Speaking of which...weird that we've got the anything goes  one off alts for creativity.  But the warmups are still templates? Seems like a return to the old days of interesting warmups would be fun and the templates are a wasted opportunity

@Conrad. How many new uniforms are the Jazz getting this year? I had heard the Statement and City editions were changing as well as a new Earned but then the team store listed Conley City Edition jerseys on the website, so now I'm confused...🤔

The yellow Statement ones were my favorite so I'll be sad to see them go. 

Sorry if you already answered this, I didn't see it if you did. I also understand if you can't divulge that much info

6 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

but it WORKS. Mic drop 

ahahahaha 

Nah. 

The White Sox changed their uniform once every few years. They were notorious for not having an identity. The change to black and white in 1991 worked so well because it finally gave them an identity to call their own. 

That in no way is comparable to the Pistons and Spurs, who both have strong, historic identities their fanbases connect with. 

8 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

I'm just a fan of fresh and change even if it's not needed but only if it works. If not keep it the same. 

That's an impressive world salad that doesn't mean anything. So I'll just say that change for the sake of change is always bade  

I'll also add that "unique" does not always equate to "good."

10 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

I admit I'm not a Spurs or Pistons fan and can careless what their die hard fans think. 

And that, to me, comes off as extremely arrogant and entitled. Why should teams cater to you over the wishes of their fans? No offence, but I trust Pistons and Spurs fans over you when it comes to what the Pistons and Spurs ought to be wearing. 

Besides. Some of the strongest identities in all of sports are the ones that have remained untouched the longest. There's something to be said for brand equity. 

15 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

ahahahaha 

Nah. 

The White Sox changed their uniform once every few years. They were notorious for not having an identity. The change to black and white in 1991 worked so well because it finally gave them an identity to call their own. 

That in no way is comparable to the Pistons and Spurs, who both have strong, historic identities their fanbases connect with. 

That's an impressive world salad that doesn't mean anything. So I'll just say that change for the sake of change is always bade  

I'll also add that "unique" does not always equate to "good."

And that, to me, comes off as extremely arrogant and entitled. Why should teams cater to you over the wishes of their fans? No offence, but I trust Pistons and Spurs fans over you when it comes to what the Pistons and Spurs ought to be wearing. 

Besides. Some of the strongest identities in all of sports are the ones that have remained untouched the longest. There's something to be said for brand equity. 

I am by no means arrogant and entitled. I am just saying these fans have small town(world) mindset. NBA is a global brand not just for your (town). I only have opinionated suggestions. I don't care if they STRONGLY disagree but I still respect these fan bases as well as your opnion. .

That's all. I apologize for it if you guys take this personal. You shouldn't. Only an opinion. Now as for my White Sox..leave them alone dammit! We won in 2005. 😁

And i won't mention the BlueJays failed rebrand. 

shado_logo.gif

4 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

I am by no means arrogant and entitled. I am just saying these fans have small town(world) mindset. NBA is a global brand not just for your (town).

I still don't see why this means teams need to abandon their traditional identities. The New York Yankees have one of the strongest sports brands in the world despite staying VERY traditional.

5 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Now as for my White Sox..leave them alone dammit! We won in 2005. 😁

I like the White Sox. They're my preferred Chicago baseball team ;) 

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I don’t mind it that much if they color it up with colored accessories like Celtics city jersey with the green accessories and OKC with orange accessories. Warriors white on the road sucks.

20 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I still don't see why this means teams need to abandon their traditional identities. The New York Yankees have one of the strongest sports brands in the world despite staying VERY traditional.

I like the White Sox. They're my preferred Chicago baseball team ;) 

Yankees like the Celtics are too iconic to change. They should NEVER. I only felt that teams who i believed suffer from bad or plain identities. Detroit is as plain as any RWB team, and Spurs (after NIKE) uniforms now are JC Penney brand clearance terrible. 

Traditional classic teams should not change. 

My defense(your opinion) is the same logic on how Oklahoma fan base feel about the Thunder uniforms. To me AND most of us here they suck, but to the owner and their fanbase, they are top 3 team. Its "classic and traditional" to them. OKC fans dont want green and lime (Seattle colors).

How is my opinion different from you guys went you yell "REBRAND"?? Its a lot of hypocrisy on these boards if you guys ONLY point me out but when y'all yell rebrand at other teams like OKC, Marlins, Rams, Browns,..etc. just saying. I can agree to disagree and still respect everyone opinion. Thats why I love these boards.

shado_logo.gif

8 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Yankees like the Celtics are too iconic to change. They should NEVER. I only felt that teams who i believed suffer from bad or plain identities. Detroit is as plain as any RWB team, and Spurs (before NIKE) uniforms now are JC Penney brand clearance terrible.

The Pistons and Spurs both have a lot of success tied up in their classic looks. Much like the Yankees and Cardinals do. 

My point is you don't need to change your uniform to fit into a "global brand" (whatever that means). 

10 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

How is my opinion different from you guys went you yell "REBRAND"?? Its a lot of hypocrisy on these boards if you guys ONLY point me out but when y'all yell rebrand at other teams like OKC, Marlins, Rams, Browns,..etc.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. You're not being singled out, we're having a disagreement. 

And I'm not sure what "hypocrisy" you're accusing me of. I would remind you that you're talking to me, and not some monolithic embodiment of the CCSLC.

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Pistons and Spurs both have a lot of success tied up in their classic looks. Much like the Yankees and Cardinals do. 

My point is you don't need to change your uniform to fit into a "global brand" (whatever that means). 

I'm not sure what you're getting at. You're not being singled out, we're having a disagreement. 

And I'm not sure what "hypocrisy" you're accusing me of. I would remind you that you're talking to me, and not some monolithic embodiment of the CCSLC.

LOL complete misunderstanding Ice. I feel as though we are just having a healthy disagreement. The words you said "arrogant and entitled" came off as being singled out. But i didn't take offense just was scratching my head. 

But i see you point on how i have came off and I apologize. (Searches for gifs that trembles and bows while i type something that avoids the WRATH of IC the Great)

shado_logo.gif

55 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Fiesta was on the warmups.  Today's equivalent of the warmups is alts, so....

Speaking of which...weird that we've got the anything goes  one off alts for creativity.  But the warmups are still templates? Seems like a return to the old days of interesting warmups would be fun and the templates are a wasted opportunity

Today’s equivalent to those warmups definitely aren’t alts. Mainly because alts aren’t worn for most of the game. And I guarantee most people don’t even care for the warmups like they do for the alts. And in the fiestas time there was alts? You point makes no sense. Fiesta belongs nowhere in the spurs current identity outside of some merchandise.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

9 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

The words you said "arrogant and entitled" came off as being singled out. But i didn't take offense just was scratching my head. 

My apologies :) I should have used better phrasing there. 

3 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Today’s equivalent to those warmups definitely aren’t alts. Mainly because alts aren’t worn for most of the game. And I guarantee most people don’t even care for the warmups like they do for the alts. And in the fiestas time there was alts? You point makes no sense. Fiesta belongs nowhere in the spurs current identity outside of some merchandise.

Warmups were the equivalent to today's alts in the sense they were the only outlet for a little more experimentation and bold ideas.  Hence teams like the Jazz using old warmup styles for alternates.  And the Spurs could do the same thing with a few fiesta stripes on alts, like they had in the Robinson/Cummings era warmups.

1 hour ago, Shadojoker said:

You are half true. I am a BULLS (sometimes Pacers) fan to the bone.

I admit I'm not a Spurs or Pistons fan and can careless what their die hard fans think. But as an outsider looking in their current identity & uniforms are meh. I dont want them to go crazy with horses and big logos & radical colors for sake of changing. Its ok if you dont feel that way. I understand. But being stagnant is boring.

Bulls - like the Heat Miami Vice uniforms can rebrand around their City uniforms and I wouldn't even blink. Drastic as it may be from the Jordan era sometimes you need a fresh look. Bulls look good in anything. Im all for their Black and Red. It should not change but if it did it would be ok. 

A LOT of popular companies ir brands change. Its evolution of life.

jpeg

brand-logo-evolution.gif

Some of the best companies have changed their logos or designs or identity altogether. 

Not to inject myself into the argument, but this doesn’t support your claim. All the companies kept their logo relatively the same through each change, Starbucks the mermaid, Pepsi the circle, American Airlines the eagle (until the most recent update) Apple the apple, Shell the Shell, Volkswagen the VW symbol, and you have Pepsi again. And you can’t even compare a brand of coffee or soda or airplanes to a basketball team. The way each type franchise portrays their branding is completely different. You only see Apple in two situations on Apple products and the Apple stores. They don’t even care about the logo it’s self, the brand recognition comes from the product. Yes you can get T-shirt’s and such but it’s not the focus.

An NBA team like the pistons, mainly sell their brand through merchandise. Meaning there’s more of a focus on their logo and colors. Meaning a similar brand is important, keeping that heritage is important. You mentioned the Heat and vice and how you wouldn’t mind your bulls doing that. The bulls would mind though. If you radicalized the bulls identity it would be dumb because the bulls are the bulls through their identity. There are several bulls teams but the Chicago Bulls need that brand recognition to be the Chicago Bulls if that makes sense. 

To make things short. Companies like apple and Pepsi need to focus more on their product rather than their logo, because that’s wear they make money, nobody buys a shirt because it’s got the apple logo on it, they’ll buy a phone though when it’s an apple phone. This makes it incomparable to NBA teams as people go out of their way to buy NBA merchandise. Meaning brand recognition is more important 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived