Different colors of jerseys and pants in baseball

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking about the above post by @raysox today. For some reason, softball players can totally pull off the colored pants while baseball players usually can’t.

I promise this is not some gender thing but I just can’t place my finger on why colored pants in softball looks better than baseball. 

Maybe one reason is that softball players wear high socks like 99.9999999% of the time, so it complements the colored pants better than black/white shoes. 

Maybe another is that softball is less traditional and conservative than baseball so they’re allowed to be more experimental with their uniforms. 

Either way, I don’t mind seeing more color pants in MLB. I just think the problem is that it is VERY difficult to pull it off and there’s only so many teams you could try it with. 

Like, the D-backs or the Rockies could, but the Yankees or Tigers can’t. 

EDIT: After thinking about it, I think it’s because the softball uniforms are more form-fitting, which makes it look almost like a football uniform. Football uniforms can easily pull off the multi-colored uniforms while baseball pants generally have to be white or gray. 

It’s weird. Like there are points when I WANT more color pants in baseball but at the same time I don’t. 

49 minutes ago, RoughRiders99 said:

EDIT: After thinking about it, I think it’s because the softball uniforms are more form-fitting, which makes it look almost like a football uniform. Football uniforms can easily pull off the multi-colored uniforms while baseball pants generally have to be white or gray. 

It’s weird. Like there are points when I WANT more color pants in baseball but at the same time I don’t. 

Yep this is the reason

also those socks definitely don't hurt

• 2 months later...

With MiLB rolling out Spanish=language Copa de la Diversion brands for over 70 of their teams, I thought I'd bring this topic up again and show what the Iowa Cubs are doing with their Demonios de Des Moines branding and their uniforms. I noticed that they had a dark blue jersey AND pants, as seen in their "live video" on Facebook. 

w4mxkDg.png

I have to admit, the dark and colored pants kinda looks good. 

Based on my above post from January 18, I think I'm starting to come around on colored pants in MLB. I think only certain teams can pull it off, and maybe make these darker colors have a mandatory high socks so they'd look better? If they had "baggy" colored pants then it'd look bad. What do you think? 

I mean, the Pirates and the A's can pull it off as seen here: 

4810678543_affae5f868_o.jpg

I'm thinking teams like the Rockies, Diamondbacks, Rays, Marlins, maybe the Blue Jays, Mariners, and Padres could also pull this kind of look. The newer teams could pull it off.Classical teams like the Yankees or Red Sox or Cubs or Dodgers, probably not so much. I know it's a traditional sport, but I think with the right teams with the right colors and look, they can easily pull it off. If softball players can do it, so can MLB.  I'm not saying make them a throwback or whatever. I think there CAN be modern "monochrome" and/or different colored jersey/pants that aren't white or gray looks in MLB.  

What do you think? Just thought I'd bump up this thread in light of the MiLB's Copa de la Diversion program! 

Interesting topic.

Its crazy to think that many of the color/color sets look a bit atrocious. But maybe it's because it's not the norm anymore and they look out of place.  I've always felt a colored top needed a more neutral pant. I also hate the nfls color rush initiative. 

Are there any teams that wear colored pants but a grey or white top? Maybe a colored hat to bring some balance. 

Softball is a whole other beast. I just don't know if an all turquoise set would work in baseball 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maybe it is the more form fitting less cloth look where colors flow better. I don't know. But I'm seeing some crazy combinations now that I started looking at softball photos on Google.  Baseballs almost holding onto this timeless tradition, even though some of the older 70s-80s sets are in fact a part of that tradition. Most seem to skip over it. 

5 hours ago, MattMill said:

Interesting topic.

Its crazy to think that many of the color/color sets look a bit atrocious. But maybe it's because it's not the norm anymore and they look out of place.  I've always felt a colored top needed a more neutral pant. I also hate the nfls color rush initiative. 

Are there any teams that wear colored pants but a grey or white top? Maybe a colored hat to bring some balance. 

Softball is a whole other beast. I just don't know if an all turquoise set would work in baseball 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maybe it is the more form fitting less cloth look where colors flow better. I don't know. But I'm seeing some crazy combinations now that I started looking at softball photos on Google.  Baseballs almost holding onto this timeless tradition, even though some of the older 70s-80s sets are in fact a part of that tradition. Most seem to skip over it. 

I'm almost with 100% certainty this is the reason. If MLB players continue to wear their pants down to their ankles with a baggy fit, then the colored pants won't look as good. But if they wear high socks with a little fitter pants, then I see no reason why colored pants can't work in MLB. 

I mean, the Rays could go with something like this: DVJZNpgX4AAkSHH.jpg 

One of the navy-red teams could go something with this too. 

softball.0.jpg

After googling some softball uniforms, I saw a few teams with white tops with colored pants (including the Maine team in above pic). 

usa_today_10086011.1494816156.jpg

espnw_shipman2_800x450.jpg&w=800

Just sharing some pics/thoughts. 

Softball players are practically wearing outfits closer to football than baseball, which makes it more acceptable ig, personally I agree. I against colored pants in baseball, the only exceptions are maybe black or navy, but they look good in softball! In fact I wore an all blue uniform when I played, one year we wore all black too, in the summer, that was a mistake.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

4 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

usa_today_10086011.1494816156.jpg

This picture is RIPE for a funny photoshop.  Her expression is absolutely killer.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

9 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

CgV2RMcWQAARk75.jpg

CgV1i1oWcAACaPU.jpg

I know for some people nostalgia might play a factor in their opinions of these, but... I can’t see a good thing in either of these pictures. Even with matching pants, that style of pinstripes just doesn’t belong on a baseball jersey 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:19 PM, RoughRiders99 said:

I was just thinking about the above post by @raysox today. For some reason, softball players can totally pull off the colored pants while baseball players usually can’t.

I promise this is not some gender thing but I just can’t place my finger on why colored pants in softball looks better than baseball. 

Maybe one reason is that softball players wear high socks like 99.9999999% of the time, so it complements the colored pants better than black/white shoes. 

Maybe another is that softball is less traditional and conservative than baseball so they’re allowed to be more experimental with their uniforms. 

Either way, I don’t mind seeing more color pants in MLB. I just think the problem is that it is VERY difficult to pull it off and there’s only so many teams you could try it with. 

Like, the D-backs or the Rockies could, but the Yankees or Tigers can’t. 

Honestly though I think it might partially be a gender thing. Take for instance outside of sports in regards to colored pants. With exception of denim blues, blacks, grays neutral sorta colors, females tend to look better in colored pants/jeans/leggings/bottoms than males do. 

7 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

I hate these so hard.

spacer.png

Every inch of my body wants me to hate these so bad, but for some reason I just can't. It's got unnecessary black and non-matching shorts on a basketball uniform. I normally can't stand that. But this? For some reason my mind is telling me it's alright. 

2 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Honestly though I think it might partially be a gender thing. Take for instance outside of sports in regards to colored pants. With exception of denim blues, blacks, grays neutral sorta colors, females tend to look better in colored pants/jeans/leggings/bottoms than males do. 

But men and women are the same! I'm supposed to be all woke! Fight the patriarchy! 

But yeah, I totally agree. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I think tighter pants in baseball are definitely making a comeback, slowly but surely. I’m noticing more players wearing tighter pants that hug the ankle.

Kike Hernandez was rocking pants straightout of the 80s last year

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEGycrBXUAAm8di.jpg

And Bryce Harper has gone with the tighter look as well, Joey Votto I’ve seen wear it too. Its more practical and I think its catching on and may mirror the comeback of short shorts in basketball that we’re seeing now. The baggy style is just getting really dated.

12 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I think tighter pants in baseball are definitely making a comeback, slowly but surely. I’m noticing more players wearing tighter pants that hug the ankle.

Kike Hernandez was rocking pants straightout of the 80s last year

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEGycrBXUAAm8di.jpg

And Bryce Harper has gone with the tighter look as well, Joey Votto I’ve seen wear it too. Its more practical and I think its catching on and may mirror the comeback of short shorts in basketball that we’re seeing now. The baggy style is just getting really dated.

I think replay might have a thing to do with it. Outside of the advantage in the box wearing a baggier uniform, it's a disadvantage on the base paths. 

And also everyone's full on to the "performance" aspect of moisture wicking blah blah.

Archived