NFL Playoffs: Super Bowl LIII

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, RaginRonic said:

You guys know what tonight was? What Super Bowl LIII turned out to be?

Chess.

It was a brutal mind game that would've tested the finest minds on this planet. And to be honest, when it comes to the NFL, I don't mind seeing that on occasion.

I agree, and I'm not as annoyed by the Patriots winning as most people are.  Football is, more than any of the other major sports, a coaches game where practically every little detail is accounted for and I can at least appreciate what Belichick manages to do and his greatness.  It isn't just what they do in any single game, but the Patriots ability change their offensive and defensive identity as often as they have through their run without skipping a beat has been amazing.

18 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

Sometimes the Patriots also get unlucky and lose. The Tyree catch, Tom Brady dropping the pass last year... 

I dislike the Patriots as much as the next guy but the onus on stopping their wins isn't on them, it's on the rest of the NFL. Belichick is probably the greatest coach in NFL history. If everyone was so tired of the Patriots, some owner should have tried to lure him away

I'll grant you the Tyree catch but the Brady drop was in the first half, if I remember correctly (unlike that time Lee Evans dropped a TD to send them to the Super Bowl 😉)

IUe6Hvh.png

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

And the Rams join the 1971 Miami Dolphins as the only teams to never to score a touchdown in a Super Bowl.

The Rams player made a brillant catch for a almost sure TD. But then the Pats defender made an even more brillant defensive play to make the ball just barely slip out of his hands. So no touchdown. And then the Rams followed up by losing a ton of yardage.

57 minutes ago, RockyTopper said:

Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback in NFL history. The 2001-present Patriots are the greatest dynasty in NFL history. I will probably never see one QB-coach duo, or any one player in general, win 6 SBs again. I'd rather just let it run its course and accept it as a cool bit of history I'm watching than let it make me angry or feel like some atrocity has been inflicted upon the world because some sportsball team keeps winning. I remember being in middle school and getting uncontrollably angry when the 2008 Titans lost in the divisional round after such an amazing 10-0 start season. I felt cheated and outright hated human beings for the childish reason of their being professional athletes in a uniform I don't root for. Why would I want to fly off the handlebars like that over a game as an adult? Where's the entertainment or happiness in that? And to feel that way over a Pats dynasty that has had an unprecedented run of success? Not worth it. Life goes on. I'll just watch it until it ends and get to tell kids decades from now, "I watched it unfold, I was there, I'm a witness to sports history." Makes for a cool life novelty, if anything.

This is how I always feel 24 hours later. And I can tell my kids, "And while they lost, my home team still got to play in the Super Bowl against the greatest dynasty ever!"

2 minutes ago, Quillz said:

This is how I always feel 24 hours later. And I can tell my kids, "And while they lost, my home team still got to play in the Super Bowl against the greatest dynasty ever!"

And three years ago we didn’t even have a home team.

VmWIn6B.png

Another silver lining: at least the Rams are wearing blue and gold again.

They need to match their helmet with their jersey more properly and get some slick new unis. But at least they made the right call with what they had, for the SB tonight.

Just now, hbgoo1975 said:

I understand. As far as the game and his team goes, I don't think that Brady and Bellichick will retire after this, but if they do let me know.

Brady will go one more year at least. I think Belichick will stick around as long as Brady does. 

58 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

especially when even in the years they didn’t win they’ve been a near ever-present in Championship games.

And I think that specifically comes down to the AFC being non-competitive and the AFC East being a horrible division. Good team or not, when you effectively get a free home playoff game every season, you're bound to win them.

53 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I would give up years of my life to witness this. 

Seriously? Or is that just sports passion talking? If I had the power and I said "Rockstar Matt, if you agree to take five years off the length of your life, I will see to it that the Cowboys win the Super Bowl next season", you'd take the deal? 

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, See Red said:

Maybe the hire-anybody-who's-ever-met-McVay revolution in the NFL was a bit premature. You should have to forfeit the offensive mastermind reputation if your offense plays like this with two weeks of preparation.

Lest we forget that stretch when teams hired anyone with Belichick ties. (McDaniels, Crennel, Weis, Patricia, O'Brien, Dean Pees, and now Flores

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Seriously? Or is that just sports passion talking? If I had the power and I said "Rockstar Matt, if you agree to take five years off the length of your life, I will see to it that the Cowboys win the Super Bowl next season", you'd take the deal? 

I sure hope not.  I like sports and all but if my team's never win a championship again, I'd be fine.

IUe6Hvh.png

2 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Lest we forget that stretch when teams hired anyone with Belichick ties. (McDaniels, Crennel, Weis, Patricia, O'Brien, Dean Pees, and now Flores

At least that was based on Super Bowl success.  This is all based on a coach taking over a team after Jeff Fisher that then went on a spending spree.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived