MLB Changes 2020

kimball

54 minutes ago, schlim said:

The Diamondbacks and Devil Rays always felt odd and almost as an afterthought as expansion teams.

When the Marlins and Rockies entered the league in '93 there were cities bidding against each other for the two slots (I remember reading the Sporting News and hearing about Buffalo's bid). It seemed like a true open ended process that ended with baseball selecting the two best cities (even writing that makes my younger self feel very pollyanna).

When '98 expansion came around, it just seemed like baseball said, 'here's two more teams, and they both have convoluted names and identities'. Then Arizona ended up with 54 uni combos and Tampa got a gradient logo.

Edit:

Here's a look at the 1993 expansion process, which was drawn out and started in 1985:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Major_League_Baseball_expansion

The 98 expansion actually  had 27!!!! applicants, but only lasted a year:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Major_League_Baseball_expansion

Don't forget the 1998 Expansion was the league apologizing to the players for collusion. So it kind of was an afterthought. Also don't forget just 4 years later they tried to contract two teams - namely the Twins and Expos.

Anubis.png

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Don't forget the 1998 Expansion was the league apologizing to the players for collusion. So it kind of was an afterthought. Also don't forget just 4 years later they tried to contract two teams - namely the Twins and Expos.

It’s also because of Vince Naimoli’s $4 billion lawsuit due to the failure of the Giants’ move to Tampa Bay. The nearly ten years of blue-balling that market created a demand for an expansion team.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:35 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

In contrast to @BringBackTheVet, I agree. The Diamondbacks have rebranded too much and lost their original charm. I don't think their original set was the best in baseball history or anything, but they looked like a consistent, thoughtfully-designed baseball team:

26228789437_a4473c3fcb_o.jpg

I was really confused at first when I saw this picture... is that Danny Manning? Then I see Kevin Johnson, Paul Westphal and Danny Ainge. Oh Arizona/Phx. Cool.

Best Diamondbacks look:

Home:

Curt_Schilling_ASG.jpg

Road:

(there hasn't been one.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How did this become their road cap? The snake D led to a very divided home and road look that always felt like two teams mashed into one. I don’t think it’s a good looking logo, and I am glad they have stuck with the A. 

spacer.png

Much as I like the original AZ look, it didn’t lend itself to any wordmarks. The DIAMOND (backs) in particular just looks really odd. (In general I don’t much like the type treatment of that era, it’s all about the colors and the A logo for me)

43 minutes ago, Digby said:

Much as I like the original AZ look, it didn’t lend itself to any wordmarks. The DIAMOND (backs) in particular just looks really odd. (In general I don’t much like the type treatment of that era, it’s all about the colors and the A logo for me)

I agree. I’ll admit that I liked the DIAMOND (backs) uniform the first time I saw it as a kid, it is way too disjointed and clunky to look good today. Best reserved as a way to commemorate the ‘98 season every 5-10 years. 

It's kind of a typical CCSLC thing to poke into a binary argument with a third choice (ball-in-glove vs. barley? no, the best is the Motre Bame), but both primary D-Backs sets are bad and the true path forward is brick red and turquoise.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's kind of a typical CCSLC thing to poke into a binary argument with a third choice (ball-in-glove vs. barley? no, the best is the Motre Bame), but both primary D-Backs sets are bad and the true path forward is brick red and turquoise.

Got ya covered there too!

o9p5uW9.png

I'm not as big a fan of it as the purple, since the purple coincided with the team's best moment (2001) and has the benefit of being a fan favorite. The original turquoise with brick red and copper does look pretty good to me, provided that turquoise is the primary color. 

2 hours ago, BC985 said:

This uniform with the purple home cap would have created a more unified uniform set, and would have looked better, IMO. 

spacer.png

Similar to the concept above, drop the pinstripes, replace the white in the Arizona wordmark, name, and number with copper, add the purple/teal zigzag pattern sleeve cuffs, and add the purple A cap and that would've been a beautiful road uniform.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Shameless self-plug, I made an update to it!

juBiuJR.png

The ‘98-‘06 look had fantastic bones, it just needed an update/embrace of purple and turquoise.

This is fine but it needs the pinstripes. 

2 minutes ago, Ark said:

This is fine but it needs the pinstripes. 

Purple pinstripes are the Rockies' thing. Besides, I much prefer patterned trim to pinstripes when it comes to the Diamondbacks. It's why the purple alternate was so wonderful.

85743a_lg.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

They don't need pinstripes. Heck, I'd argue that the Rockies should eschew pinstripes at some point.

MLB Announces 2020 “Summer Camp”, Unveils Logo

June 30, 2020 - 21:24 PM

What’s the Summer equivalent of baseball’s Spring Training? A question we never thought we’d need an answer to until we entered the Upside Down. The official name has been announced as 2020 MLB Summer Camp presented by Camping World. Based on the feedback my Tweet announcing this news garnered, many

Read More...

4 hours ago, BC985 said:

How did this become their road cap? The snake D led to a very divided home and road look that always felt like two teams mashed into one. I don’t think it’s a good looking logo, and I am glad they have stuck with the A. 

spacer.png

Sorry, but as a stand alone design, that hat is beautiful.

Archived