MLB Changes 2020

kolob

I do think there's a real possibility that my enthusiasm for baseball could dwindle somewhat post-pandemic, something I never thought was possible. They're clearly trying to implement expanded postseason, universal DH, ads on uniforms, on top of what seems to be a broken financial structure for the sport. And I was really turned off by how the league handled the cheating scandals that came to light during the offseason. I don't like where the game is right now and where it's headed even less.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Buc said:

This is also the kind of stuff that happens when you go handing out $320-something million dollar contracts to certain players...whoopsie-daisie.

I feel like fans are the ones losing out here, not players or owners. Both are getting richer while ticket price increases are outpacing inflation. We're being subjected to in-game commercials and very likely, paid advertisements on uniforms. They're extracting more dollars out of fans while providing a watered down experience.

9 hours ago, beachperroAZ said:

I wouldn't mind it as long as they don't go overboard like in the Mexican Pacific League where they have ads on the stomach, ankle, under arm pit, back of name plate, lower back etc.  Just don't pollute the uniform!

Ads on the stomach? Ankle ads? Under arm pit ads?  Blech.

Who thought that mess is a good idea?

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

7 hours ago, VikWings said:

Looks like Authentic jerseys are gonna be $500 soon when you account for the extra $3 it costs to add ad patches to them.

Glad I was able to snag an authentic Dodgers one (no player name) by Majestic for less than $130.00

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

I’ve wondered how the domino effect of cord cutting would affect baseball since he seems to be more dependent on RSNs than other leagues. Universal DH, ads on uniforms, and would you be surprised if the AL and NL were abolished for regional divisions? The MLB that we know is dying right before our eyes and I believe it is headed for niche sport status in my lifetime (I’m 34). 

On 4/24/2020 at 11:58 PM, selgy said:

If the 2020 season gets delayed completely. 

Do you think that any proposed 2021 uniforms changes will be delayed till 2022 to give this years uniforms (Brewers/Padres,etc) a year to be "new"? 

Almost two months later and the season is looking less likely to happen. 

Does anyone think that the proposed 2021 uniforms changes will be delayed till 2022 to give this years uniforms (Brewers/Padres,etc) a year to be "new"? 

Sad, really. When ads went on jerseys in the NBA, it marked the point that I lost some interest. (That and the constant chucking threes).

But a watered down experience is exactly how I would explain it too. You are forced to look at those ads, and it takes away from the experience. The "I go catch a ballgame to unwind" will not be as true anymore.

But I don't buy 11$ beers at the game, either.

7 hours ago, selgy said:

Does anyone think that the proposed 2021 uniforms changes will be delayed till 2022 to give this years uniforms (Brewers/Padres,etc) a year to be "new"? 

Is that a requirement? You really think teams changing for 2021 are concerned about 2020 jerseys?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Is that a requirement? You really think teams changing for 2021 are concerned about 2020 jerseys?

Not only that, but new uniforms are generally only cared about in their home markets, so there's no real loss to San Diego or Milwaukee if Cincinnati or Seattle come out with new threads.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not only that, but new uniforms are generally only cared about in their home markets, so there's no real loss to San Diego or Milwaukee if Cincinnati or Seattle come out with no threads.

I don't know. That'd probably make news outside the home markets.

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I don't know if it is a requirement or not. 

But if new uniforms never made the field this year, I can see MLB maybe asking other teams delaying changes so that the new merchandise has time to sell/adapt. 

57 minutes ago, selgy said:

I don't know if it is a requirement or not. 

But if new uniforms never made the field this year, I can see MLB maybe asking other teams delaying changes so that the new merchandise has time to sell/adapt. 

2020 new unis are already selling, and I’m not sure what news unis adapt to..?

If three teams change next year, I think MLB would be okay with promoting five “new” unis (plus the new STL). 

14 hours ago, selgy said:

Almost two months later and the season is looking less likely to happen. 

Did either the Padres or the Brewers have to wait a year for the other team to change? No? Then why would any other team have to wait.

It's where I sit.

44 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Did either the Padres or the Brewers have to wait a year for the other team to change? No? Then why would any other team have to wait.

This seson apears lost and those other teams and seasons got time for those uniforms to be new and unique. 

Neither SD or Milwaukee appear to have that this year. 

2 minutes ago, selgy said:

This seson apears lost and those other teams and seasons got time for those uniforms to be new and unique. 

I'm really not sure I understand your point.  What does it buy SD or Milwaukee to be "new and unique"?  By definition, isn't every MLB uniform "unique"?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, DrAwesomeberry said:

The Frisco RoughRiders have my ideal Rangers color scheme.

spacer.png

Brick red, slate blue, and cream. 

It’s more of a crimson than brick red,but yeah it’s fantastic. 

37 minutes ago, selgy said:

Were there going to be special events at each stadium telling fans about the new uniforms? Was every PA announcer going to say “Leading off...Wearing his new 2020 jersey...the center fielder...”??

I mean...they were unveiled, they went on sale. Same cycle as every other new uniform. 

Archived